does the pickups of the guitar afect pinch harmonics or is it just the strings I was playing on my harmony with humbucker pickups and .009 strings and a yamaha with single coil pickups with .010 and I thought that the yamaha squealed better. Is it the pickups or the strings.
Last edited by Mister_noodle at Jul 23, 2008,
neither, its the technique, higher output pickups make them sqeal more however
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
TYPES of pickup dont matter, I find.

The POSITION does though, for me.

Your bridge pickup is more sensitive to pinch harmonics than your neck pickup.
Gear.

Ibanez Iceman IC400.

And Daron Malakians custom triangle pick.

Thats all you need to know.
from personal experience, ive found my single-coils to produce more/better squeals and feedback than my humbuckers. i always use .010's. I can't know for sure, but i think the single coils will provide more squeal than humbuckers. i could be making up ****, but from my guitars and the fact that its just the .001 difference (i assume same type of strings), i would think single coil pickups affect it more.
Quote by trevorjps
dude i can do them on acoustic guitars.........

Your saying you can make the EXACT same sound of PH on an acoustic, as that on a Les Paul with distortion...?
Gear.

Ibanez Iceman IC400.

And Daron Malakians custom triangle pick.

Thats all you need to know.
For pinch harmonics, it's all technique. But things like your amp settings, pick-ups, which pick up, and all that stuff can amplify a harmonic to make it a more pristine note.
nope, lower. High output pickups: Bill Lawrence, Dimarzio's (x2n), emg's...goes on
humbucker's have a higher out put, and stacked coils just a little less
Quote by trevorjps
dude i can do them on acoustic guitars.........

Dude, no-one cares.

And I find the position of the pickup is what matters, although thicker strings can help too.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Quote by Mister_noodle
does the pickups of the guitar afect pinch harmonics or is it just the strings I was playing on my harmony with humbucker pickups and .009 strings and a yamaha with single coil pickups with .010 and I thought that the yamaha squealed better. Is it the pickups or the strings.

it's more technique than anything else, so yeah, it's possible to do them on anything. High output pickups help, especially in the bridge. Quite a bit of OD helps too.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.