im going to be selling my les paul for a prs se custom. then i had the idea of getting a cheap squier just to have a single coil guitar laying around. basically this:

prs se custom with super distortion pickups or some other super high output pickups, and get a squier strat and put in regular fender pickups and maybe an allparts neck.

but now i had the idea of possibly getting a mim strat and putting hotrails or something in it and coil tapping it, and just having the one guitar. my main concern is iv never played a coil tapped pickup, and idk how it would compare to a regular single coil. or should i put the hotrails in the middle or something?

basically i come to u guys for help as to what to do. should i get a decent strat and put in a variety of pickups, or go for the prs and a squier.

pickup suggestions for either idea would be most appreciated as well (especially if im just going for a strat)
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Get a PRS and save your money by not getting a squire.

Is there actually any need for you to have a single coil guitar?
Does your music require indefinitely a single coil guitar?

You could put the money you save from not getting the squire into FX or just yourself.

I think there are pedals out there for making single coils sound like humbuckers and vice versa.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Quote by Donkey Fly
Get a PRS and save your money by not getting a squire.

Is there actually any need for you to have a single coil guitar?
Does your music require indefinitely a single coil guitar?

You could put the money you save from not getting the squire into FX or just yourself.

I think there are pedals out there for making single coils sound like humbuckers and vice versa.

Replace "single coil" with "humbucker" for a simillar argument and you'll see why when looking for diversification in a guitar it practically demands a configuration involving both single coils and humbuckers.
You could go with a strat and aim for an SHS configuration or the more popular HSS, both of which are extremely versatile. You could also consider a Les Paul of some kind with an HS configuration with a P90 in the neck, although this configuration is notably less versatile than either of the two aforementioned strats. I think it would be fully possible to build a guitar that would perform better than the two combined that you mentioned.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Quote by Me2NiK
Replace "single coil" with "humbucker" for a simillar argument and you'll see why when looking for diversification in a guitar it practically demands a configuration involving both single coils and humbuckers.
You could go with a strat and aim for an SHS configuration or the more popular HSS, both of which are extremely versatile. You could also consider a Les Paul of some kind with an HS configuration with a P90 in the neck, although this configuration is notably less versatile than either of the two aforementioned strats. I think it would be fully possible to build a guitar that would perform better than the two combined that you mentioned.

I see what you mean.

The HSS config. sounds like it would meet your needs very well.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Go straight for a super strat of somekind with a single coil. Ibanez and Jackson come to mind.
Guitars:
Jackson JS300 Kelly
Jackson DK2 Dinky
Ibanez RG 7321
Ibanez Nylon acoustic

Amps:
Crate 15 watt(Broke)
Dean 10 watt amp
Peavey Valveking 112
Peavey XXX(Lookin for a cab...)

Pedals:
G2 Zoom Multi-FX(Tuner)
well thanks for the suggestions. heres the thing...im not in a band, nor will i be, this is strictly a hobby, which is why i need the most sounds out of a very small budget. my budget doesnt really have an exact number, but maybe around 600ish.

im trying to shoot for both single coil and humbucker lead sounds. my main concern is would a coil tapped humbucker like a hotrail or something sound at least close to a true single coil sound? if so, i will probably just get a strat and do that. i suppose the same question goes for the single sized humbuckers too...

would putting a single sized humbucker in the middle position be sufficient for a lead sound? sorry i have so many questions, im no expert on the exact dynamics of pickups.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Last edited by xxunder-takerxx at Jul 23, 2008,