Hey guys, I need some advice. At the moment I have a ****ty 1.1ghz PC with 512mb of ram. Yeah, just a fantastic machine for recording, I know. Well because of it's awful performance I am looking into purchasing a laptop soon, preferably a Mac. Any suggestions on what I should get? I'm looking for something that is powerful and has the ability to record in very good quality. Thanks for your help!
anything but a mac. whats your price range? 1000 bucks or more and you could get an alienware area 51 cus the sound cards are amazing.
Under $1000 I would prefer. I actually have done a bit more research and found this instead. http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10107121&catid= When honestly thinking about it I don't necessarily need a laptop and a desktop might be a bit more reliable, and I believe that this one could do something for me. I would buy some more ram of course and possibly a new soundcard for it. I do have Roland's Edirol Ua-4fx USB Interface. But with my computer right now I'm just not getting what I expected.
well with a desktop you could probably get double the performance for half the price.

So get a desktop.

RAM and sound card are most important.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes"

"Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through"

anything but a mac.

Why? Is this a PC vs. MAC bias? I own and use both and found that PC is better for somethings, recording isn't one of them. In the 1200 price range, you can get a decent MAC with a good soundcard for recording. My Garageband recordings sound better than people I know using Cubase on PC. And they spent a lot more than I have for soundcard upgrades and interfaces.
Macbook pro's are really great.
I'm the new king
I taste the queen
In here we are all anemic
In here, anemic and sweet
Inflames - that computer would be totally fine. To put it in perspective, we did our album on my computer using Cubase SX2. We had, for each song, upwards to 36 tracks of audio, all at 24 bit. Often, we recorded ten of those tracks simultaneously. Effects were included in the mixing stage as needed.

Here is my system:
1.7 Ghz Celeron processor (yep.... that's right....)
512 MB RAM
Win XP sp2
40 GB HD @7200rpm (both OS's, all software, etc.)
60 GB HD @7200rpm (audio data storage, backup files, etc.)

Mind you, I keep my system pretty lean and clean for audio. I run a dual-boot system so my audio stuff is on one OS and the rest of my life is on the other. So, basically I just have my audio-related stuff, and a bare-bones internet capability (needed for updating software, or the odd time where you really want to look something up in the midst of a mixing session or something.... )

For less than 300 bones, that system should smoke mine.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
^ Fair enough, but he'll struggle if he wants to use any sample based intruments with low latency, such as vst drums. He might not want to do this, but...
There is poetry in despair.
Yeah.... if he's getting into sampling and stuff, he'll want to upgrade the RAM - especially running Vista. There is also a feature in Vista that allows a USB flash drive to 'act' as if it is RAM. Dunno how fast it is in terms of access, but another stick of RAM and a 4GB flash drive would bring him up to 6GB of RAM for very, very cheap. You could go sample crazy with 6GB of RAM!

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

I would think that it's fairly slow in terms of access, surely, but do you have any links to this?
There is poetry in despair.
Okay.... getting in over my head here. This is probably helpful to 'someone.'

Q: Aren't Hard Disks faster than flash? My HDD has 80MB/sec throughput.
A: Hard drives are great for large sequential I/O. For those situations, ReadyBoost gets out of the way. We concentrate on improving the performance of small, random I/Os, like paging to and from disk.

CT