Hey, I play death/thrash metal (Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Celtic Frost, Metallica, Testament, Megadeth, etc.) and I currently have a Randall RX120DHS (it's a solid state half stack). The distortion on it sucks so I use the clean channel and a metal muff distortion pedal. After reading on UG a while I think I might sell it and buy a tube combo amp. So here are my questions:

1.) What's a good tube combo amp for death metal in the $600 price range? In all the reviews I look at, everyone says the stock distortion sucks. If my half stack with a distortion pedal has better distortion then the tube combos stock distortion then I don't want to switch amps.

2.) Are any of the tube combo amps in that price range gonna have great brutal distortion without using a pedal?

No used stuff either. I know you can get more for your money but I just can't help it. I just don't like used stuff.
peavey jsx 212

*edit
sorry. didnt notice your price range. the jsx is about double what you want to spend....
You may be able to get your hands on a used 6505/5150 combo for that kind of money but I'm not sure; you'll have to look on ebay and craigslist.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You may be able to get your hands on a used 6505/5150 combo for that kind of money but I'm not sure; you'll have to look on ebay and craigslist.

He said NO USED stuff
I love my keyboardist, he's hot.

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

The Llama Forum Bagel Group
Quote by BobChicken
He said NO USED stuff

Then we're both idiots: me for not reading properly and him for not even considering used. Used = Value for money if you know what to look for.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Beebaboo
Randall RG50TC

hmm, so is it's stock distortion real good? if it's only average and I end up having to use a pedal (like I do now with my crappy tone half stack) then there is no point in me selling my stack