On self-taught guitarist?

i taught myself how to play guitar about..3 or 4 years ago.
i think im rather good for having 0 lessons...
but i dont think being self taught will get me as good as want to be...

i think these are a few self taught guitarists..

Stevie Ray Vaughan
Jimmi Hendrix
BB King
Carlos Santana

..but if they were self taught...how'd they get so damn good?!

*sorry if im in the wrong forum...
Practice. Steve Ray and Jimmy both pretty much flunked all school. Not sure about BB and Santana, though the second learned to play violin when he was young so he's not 100% self taught.

Practice is the key.
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Jimmi Hendrix
BB King

Those are three of the better / best blues / blues rock guitar players ever.

A connection?

Play the blues! :p

on a more serious note - They probably learned from friends, or they may have read some books. They also probably studied the licks / solos / riffs that their favourite guitarists played, and figured out the techniques they used, and then used it for themselves.

I am also self taught, most of my friends that have taken lessons, are too useless / lazy to help me out, so I've learned the majority of my theory / scales through the internet, and random people on UG have answered my questions / given me pointers.
Being self-taught is stupid.

I've been self/UG taught for the past 4 years
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
im self taught, i consider myself good

i learned everything from watching people play, and playing with other people.. while i havent had one teacher, i've learned how to play by surrounding myself with musicians. This website helps alot too, the users in the music theory section are very helpful

im sure hours of just playing by myself in my room throughout highschool helped too
Quote by confusius

Practice is the key.

thats pretty much it. i know some self taught guitarists that only studied the instructional dvds and really nothing else and are phenomenal.
its hard for me to improve...
because honestly..i know nothing about a guitar.
but for some reason..i can just pick up a guitar..and play

i couldnt tell you...the chords i play...what key im in..nothing.
the only thing i can really do..is read and write tabs...

i need to learn.
^You've come to the right place.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by yourlostlove16

Stevie Ray Vaughan
Jimmi Hendrix
BB King
Carlos Santana

My theory is, they simply had an intuitive sense of the right way to practice without
having to be taught. That's probably the "natural ability" that separated them
from the pack.
Quote by yourlostlove16
On self-taught guitarist?

i taught myself how to play guitar about..3 or 4 years ago.
i think im rather good for having 0 lessons...
but i dont think being self taught will get me as good as want to be...

i think these are a few self taught guitarists..

Stevie Ray Vaughan
Jimmi Hendrix
BB King
Carlos Santana

*sorry if im in the wrong forum...

There are many paths to success, but you certainly could learn alot from a good teacher. Can't hurt to try anyway.

I think guys like Hendrix and SRV got so damn good because they loved playing. Im sure they spent countless hours listening to their favorite players as well as playing/practicing guitar themselves. Im also sure they were in contact with other guitarists, and while they may or may not have taken any "official" lessons, they certainly learned from others.

No one is truly self taught. We all learn from someone whether its via a book, a dvd, advice on the internet, a friend that plays..... whatever.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 23, 2008,
Duane Allman is self taught too and he's the best guitarist to ever live, imho. though most of those greats who were self taught dropped out of high school and just played all day every day to get as good as they are
hi .........

people thinking of playing any instrument .....the best instrument is playing guitar it doesn't seem to be hard in learning ....and it is best way to njoi when one is alone , depressed...or in happy moments to celebrate ...

========================================================

rajini

http://www.wikimah.com
Jimi Hendrix was a great player..no doubt about it.

A lot of people have no idea that he played with just
about every kind of band you can think of. He played
behind Ike and Tina turner. He played with BB King.
He actually played with so many bands he can be
considered a bridge between the late 40's ahead and the
Modern 60's..along with his own style. He learned from
everybody, old and young. He learned as much as he could.
He even was inspired by the writing style of Bob Dylan
and studied his writing style to better depict images
in his own writing. He was a big fan of Dylan.
I saw an interview where he spoke of Bob Dylan and
you couldnt even tell Jimi was famous the way he admired him.

He was very creative and a great player but you have so
many factors...

Creativity..great playing..a fusion of tekniks from possibly 100's
of players...mind altering drugs...and natural talent.

I'm not trying to belittle him at all. I'm just making a point
that great students make great artists.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Jul 24, 2008,
excellent quote washburned fretz: "great students make great artists." i think that is the key point for being self-taught actually.

to add to this combine it with guitarmunky's statement that no person is ever truly self-taught. a guitarist learns from the music he/she listens to, as well as other musicians, books, videos, shows etc.

i think the key point i'm trying to make is that to really progress when you're self-taught is to open up your ears and thinking to understand that everything can teach you something and then to practice and apply what you have learned.