hey guys, so. just a quick question, if i wanted to replace the dot inlays on my les paul with the trapeziod kind or similar, would i have to carve out the whole area for the rest of the new inlay or can i find some that just have circles and are rreally thiun fater that? any suggestions?
What les paul has dots? And what brand is the les paul, just need to see if it's worth it.

But if you wanted to put trapizoids in, they are deeper then normal dots. So you would have to cut in more, then all around.
Hmmm. Not sure how you would actually do it yourself.

You should either take it to a shop/luthier and ask them to do it or you could buy a new neck - providing yours is bolt on - which would make it easier to do.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Quote by Ghold125
What les paul has dots? And what brand is the les paul, just need to see if it's worth it.

The les paul special II has dot inlays.
You could buy a epi standard model set neck with the trapezoid inlays for what it will cost to put those inlays in the neck you have. And replacement bolt necks for epi arent near as common as for strats. Be pretty hard to find a epi bolt neck with fancy inlay work. Inlay work is expensive. Its not something your gonna do your self at least not anything fancier than dots. It takes special tools and quite a bit of experience. There have been alot of inlay threads and most are shocked at the cost.
do it dude. it's easy just be really careful. get the inlays, get the stewmac router base and a dremel tool, 1/8" and 1/32" router bits and just have a ball. practice on scrap, check your scribe marks like 100 times and be careful.

check out my LPDC build... first time inlaying they came out awesome
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
To install inlays and then level them to match the fretboard radius is going to be quite hard, so you will probably have to de and re fret it, which is a big task just for inlays.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
^ there's a youtube video on how to do it with frets on the board.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology