if i'm looking for a punk/ska sound, what kind of strings should i use? i tried some ernie ball regular slinkys for about a week and didnt like them. what kind of strings would you recommend for the sound im looking for?
Quote by eaton1012
play with your amp eq.
That and try some Rotosound Swing66 strings. They're stainless steel and roundwound, so they'll give you the "up-front-and-in-your-face" sound that punk/ska requires.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
I second Rotosound swings. As well as increasing the mids slightly on your amp to get a little more growly walking sound.
daddario
their tone is awesome for punk and ska, but the bright doest last more than 2 months(but somehow my last set is 5 months old and its very bright)
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
I'll put in my plug for Warwick EMP strings. They start off with a little less brightness than rotosounds, but they retain it for so much longer, and rotosounds keep for a long time.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
rotos. unless you mean super old ska, then get flats.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I like the sound of rotos, but (and it does seem to be only me who has experienced this) out of the last 5 sets I bought, 2 were defective - completely dead out of the box! they were the lighter gauges though, I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

anywho - my first thought was slinkies, but you've already ruled them out. Someone else suggest d'addario - I'd run with that. try the prosteels
It's What I Got:
1983 Ricky 4003 (White)
1990s Ibanez Prestige Sr3006E
1988 Stingray 4

Trace Elliot GP12 SMX-300
Warwick Pro 411
For a very bright punchy sound get stainless steel strings. If you want slow reggae-ish ska, get flatwound strings.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
steel strings could be too bright in some cases even for newer ska(reel big fish) so i'll just use nickel to be safe
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
It kinda depends on what ska tone your looking for.
Roto's are great for modern ska.
But for second wave ska, they are a bit too brigth.
And for first wave ska thay are way too bright.

For punk they're great, though.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
A lot of punk guys use Dean Markley Blue Steels...........
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by Ranxston
For a very bright punchy sound get stainless steel strings. If you want slow reggae-ish ska, get flatwound strings.

or you could just use dead strings, saves you the money to buy a new set.