That among pop musicians, it's considered impressive if they write their own music? I was walking to the kitchen, and my sister was watchign Ellen, and some female pop singer (I can't remember her name) was singing, and my sister was all like "OMG she writes her own music!"

So I say, "Why is that impressive? Musicians should be able to write music." And she goes on about how it's unrealistic to expect musicians to write their own songs, melodies, or lyrics, and a whole bunch of other stuff, and I'm just like, "How is it unrealistic? I write my own music." She's all like, "No you don't, you're just playing other people's songs." (for some reason my family is convinced that the songs I write are not my own )

Anyway, long argument ensued, and basically, what her main point was, was that a rock artist writing their own music is normal, but pop artists are somehow not expected to. I maintained that it was because most mainstream pop artists are actually quite poor musicians, but she wouldn't hear of it (not that I really expected her to).

Thoughts?
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Alot of pop artists buy their songs from writers.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Elvis got by without writing his own stuff, and he's the f*cking King, baby.
In short, I don't care.
Quote by SG Man Forever
Anyway, long argument ensued, and basically, what her main point was, was that a rock artist writing their own music is normal, but pop artists are somehow not expected to. I maintained that it was because most mainstream pop artists are actually quite poor musicians, but she wouldn't hear of it (not that I really expected her to).

Thoughts?

As far as composing goes, yeah, I think that's about accurate. They're wonderful performers (well... sometimes.), but as composers? Nah.
Because so little mainstream music is actually written by the artist, if it is infact written by the artist, it's amazing that it's actually mainstream because the artist wrote it themselves.
they're all retard puppets
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
Jim Steinman wrote most of meatloaf's songs, and i like them. but yea, most musicians write their own songs, and it's not to impressive that hey do
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Quote by MightyAl
Elvis got by without writing his own stuff, and he's the f*cking King, baby.
In short, I don't care.

In the words of Tom Morello, "Elvis was a hero to most, but he never meant shit to me."
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
pop stars now have no talent at all, only reason the girls get famous is due to their sex appeal.
Quote by SG Man Forever
In the words of Tom Morello, "Elvis was a hero to most, but he never meant shit to me."

Way to be incapapble of making your own insult, ass-face.
Maybe its because most pop artists nowadays are just 18 year old girls who think that they're the best singers in the world (fat chance) and can't write for ****, so they pay someone else to do it for them?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
This is actually a pretty good question.

It really shouldn't be unusual for pop bands/singers to write their own songs.

Quote by MightyAl

Yes because "ass-face" is so original and witty isn't it
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by MightyAl

I didn't insult him. I simply said I don't care about him. Anyway, I don't hate Elvis, I simply never saw him as more than a half decent singer who shook his ass when he sang.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by imcrazy814
Haha, sounds like the same conversation I have with my sister everyday

+1 I tried to explain why Alexi laiho is better than the **** on mtv
Quote by wiggy1988
This is actually a pretty good question.

It really shouldn't be unusual for pop bands/singers to write their own songs.

Yes because "ass-face" is so original and witty isn't it

Sarcasm detector broken today?
Quote by 89cruefan
pop stars now have no talent at all, only reason the girls get famous is due to their sex appeal.

Amy Winehouse,what sex appeal?!

Well maybe there's sex appeal if you like vile,ugly drug addicts.

Don't get me wrong,I'm not defending pop,i hate pop,I'm just saying there are other reasons than sex appeal
Hodam,a stojim...
Quote by 89cruefan

this...
I'm lucky to have some friends who listen to music that's written by the artist, and even make music themselves, so it's not that big a deal. But I hate those f*****g sl*ts who barely wear clothes and think they are great musicians, while they barely can sing or play a note... A bit off topic but does anyone hate those mainstream radio's where they think stuff like Avril Lavigne is rock? It's not because you use dist guitar, that you are rock...
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Quote by MightyAl
Sarcasm detector broken today?

How is calling me an ass-face a form of sarcasm? It's just an insult, same as if I called you a pig fucker.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
well that makes me happy to know that my sister listens to metal

so i dont have to argue about ****in britiany spears or sum ****
most pop "musicians" don't write their own stuff, or if they do, it's heavily modified by whoever controls their record deal. Truth be told, the musicians who write their own stuff and are genuine about what they write (comes from a real experience or whatever) are hard to market because for whatever reason people don't like actual reality or a description of it, they much prefer an ideal situation or subject. people won't buy something about real life, they see that all the time. They want something novel and spectacular, and most writing musicians just can't come up with spectacular things to sell, so they have someone else do it. besides, its easier.
Quote by poipoi
this...
I'm lucky to have some friends who listen to music that's written by the artist, and even make music themselves, so it's not that big a deal. But I hate those f*****g sl*ts who barely wear clothes and think they are great musicians, while they barely can sing or play a note... A bit off topic but does anyone hate those mainstream radio's where they think stuff like Avril Lavigne is rock? It's not because you use dist guitar, that you are rock...

Dude, wearing fewer clothes DOES make you a better musician. I only perform nude, and I'm ****ing awesome.
I think most people seem to have the same idea that in pop often the actual music comes last in the priority's of the producers but thats just the way it is. Most people are stupid.
Most Orchestras don't write their own stuff either why not rip on them? I reckon that if the end product is good its not a problem (I still obviously recognise songwriting as a talent equal to singing though).
It's so amazing when people in the mainstream write their own songs because the people that listen to mainstream aren't using to hearing something with talent, so naturaly when they hear it, it amazes them.
Quote by handbanana78

^First time I've ever made a funny

Quote by deathcore101

okay Mike my advice for you is, don't sleep with your sister
Quote by Super Llama
most pop "musicians" don't write their own stuff, or if they do, it's heavily modified by whoever controls their record deal. Truth be told, the musicians who write their own stuff and are genuine about what they write (comes from a real experience or whatever) are hard to market because for whatever reason people don't like actual reality or a description of it, they much prefer an ideal situation or subject. people won't buy something about real life, they see that all the time. They want something novel and spectacular, and most writing musicians just can't come up with spectacular things to sell, so they have someone else do it. besides, its easier.

Springsteen?
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
Quote by kaptink
Most Orchestras don't write their own stuff either why not rip on them? I reckon that if the end product is good its not a problem (I still obviously recognise songwriting as a talent equal to singing though).

I don't laud the orchestra, other than the talent taken to perform it. I laud the composer of the music.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
I don't laud the orchestra, other than the talent taken to perform it. I laud the composer of the music.

Yeah I guess so, Classical buffs I know still go on for ages about different Orchestras though . I guess for some pop songs too the writer is sometimes acknowledged over the performer like some of the things Paul Anka and Niel Diamond wrote for other artists.