I got my ODB-3 today. I cant seem to get what I want out of this thing, all it does is sound like my friend's guitar dist. I sort of keep my low end but the overdrive I get sounds like farting.

Hopefully the problem is my amp, a Rumble 15, just cuz its so ****ty, but can anyone give me tips to get a decent tone out of this thing?

the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
It isn't a great pedal (IMO), that's why. I have one myself, though I never use it.

Try using the onboard EQ to cut a decent chunk off the treble. It helps it lose some of its over the top edge.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
That cuts some of the edge off but it doesn't really sound that much better. I am very surprised at the quality of this, I expect good from Boss.
Remember, the overdrive effects the sound from the bass, but the amp produces that sound. Set all your EQ's to flat.

Then start from there.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
It's a solid pedal and there are no flaws in the design. The sound is just very love it or hate it.

Do as I did and get a Fulltone Bass Drive. The ODB-3 has been in my signal chain once since I got it. A 20 min comparison was all I needed.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
It's a solid pedal and there are no flaws in the design. The sound is just very love it or hate it.

Correctsir.

It's been awhile since this topic has come up. Back in the day, Anarkee and I set'em all straight on the ODB-3. I, personally, adore the sound that comes out of it. But I'll admit, it kind of seems like a guitarist's take on bass overdrive.

More than that, it takes a lot of tweaking to get it to sound how you want it. I disagree with people who say you can't get many different sounds out of the ODB-3, with some adjusting it can give you a big range of sounds.

And yes, both your bass and your amp can equate into the bad sound you're getting. Not to mention your onboard EQ, just like Nutter mentioned. It'll take some toying around with.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Yeah, I guess I just freaked out when it sounded like **** right off the bat.
I sat down for a good 30 mins and have something halfway decent.
I've never heard anything good about the ODB3. I was part of a pretty well known bass forum, and most of the senior members (in age!) disliked it.

but yea, set all the EQ's you can find flat (amp/other pedals/bass/ODB3) and work from there!
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I was looking at buying this pedal actually..
can anyone suggest another overdrive pedal that might be better? I like how the ODB3 has the EQ and the gain control (sorry im not sure if all overdrive pedals come with those im not a big gear head) can anyone reccomend another peadal thats good for its price?

sorry TS im not trying to thread your thread i just figured while i had the question ill just put it in tihs thread
^I've had no problems with the Ibanez PD7, its done me for about 4 years!
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I got one about two weeks ago for 25 bucks, and I can't say I've been super impressed with the pedal when using with a bass. It just is too screechy, so I usually roll my tone knob back a bit and that takes care of it for the most part.

No I've been using with a guitar my friend's letting me borrow and I get such a good distorted tone from it. I was quite impressed with it in that reguard.
My only complaint with mine is that is does take a considerable amount of tweaking to get the sound you want. I'm happy with mine, but again it really is a love / hate thing. No one seems to be in the middle ground on this pedal.
it took me al ong time to figure out my sound out of it, but I like mine. Although I have a rogue amp, and can tell you a ****ty amp makes a ****ty distortion.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Roll back the tone knob and cut mids, leave the EQ on the pedal flat, that should produce a better sound.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.