Hey, sorry if this is in the wrong place but i looked and no where else seemed like the place to put this.

Here it goes.

Ok, ive been playing the bass for a year (roughly) and ive been thinking alot about writing a song on the bass but i kinda get stumped. Uhmm, i know nothing about stuff like music theory or other technical stuff. I do however know most of the basic scales i could find on this site but nothing to extravagant.

So with my minimal knowledge i was messing around with my bass and this girl ive been hanging out with asked me to write her a song.

Now i realize this is probably beyond my skill level at the moment but does anyone have any tips for writing a couple minute or more bass song that sounds harmonic and beautiful? Btw thats the best words i can put that in.

...im looking for advice and possibly links to sites or lessons you think would help me, and im sorry if you find me lazy for not looking for this stuff on my own.
Quote by towelninja
Uhmm, might sound like a noob but joy division is?

a band

there bassist peter hook is IMO one of the best examples of playing the lead melody on bass.

good songs to look at - Love Will Tear Us Apart, She's Lost Control.
dont no about a bass sounding "harmonic and beautiful" u could on a guitar but just play around "think out the box" i also find it easyer to write songs on a programme called guitar-pro (http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php) but that costs money or powertab which is free (http://www.power-tab.net/) but its no where near as gd as guitar pro but yeah if not them then just sit down and get ur head in music mode!

gd luck (try not 2 make the songs repetative! cos that would get boring!)
Alright, ill look those songs here in a few minutes, any specific scales or anything i should look into? (Another noob question im sure :P)
Quote by 169290
dont no about a bass sounding "harmonic and beautiful" u could on a guitar but just play around "think out the box" i also find it easyer to write songs on a programme called guitar-pro (http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php) but that costs money or powertab which is free (http://www.power-tab.net/) but its no where near as gd as guitar pro but yeah if not them then just sit down and get ur head in music mode!

gd luck (try not 2 make the songs repetative! cos that would get boring!)

You really haven't listened to much solo bass stuff then. Stu Hamm's Charlotte's Song is fantastic.
Quote by towelninja
Alright, ill look those songs here in a few minutes, any specific scales or anything i should look into? (Another noob question im sure :P)

d minor

EDIT

e|------------------------------------------10-12-13-------------------|
B|---------------------------------10-11-13----------------------------|
G|-------------------------9-10-12-------------------------------------|
D|-------------------10-12---------------------------------------------|
A|----------10-12-13---------------------------------------------------|
E|-10-12-13------------------------------------------------------------|
Last edited by JimmehHunter at Jul 23, 2008,
Alright, and another question, is there any alternate tuning that would help with the sound im going for?
Try, if you can, to use chord/two-string harmonised melodies.
Doesn't need to be fast, but playing with the suggestion of chords and melody at the same time is a good way to fill out the song, if only in parts.

Just like guitar, a bass can feel pretty thin unaccompanied, so basically accompany yourself by playing more than one note at a time, like chords. It tends to sound a lot nicer to me if I'm playing solo bass.
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You really haven't listened to much solo bass stuff then. Stu Hamm's Charlotte's Song is fantastic.

This man is God of UG, listen to him carefully, because he speaks the truth.
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
dont no about a bass sounding "harmonic and beautiful"

Portrait of Tracy?

In terms of bass only, lots of examples in different styles. For the more melodic, harmonics (natural, tapped, pinched) really help give a nice accompaniment feel.

There are also lots of bass only songs - or predominantly bass songs - where the bass just grooves on it's own. Then effects could come into play and open up the doors to new sounds to experiment with.
Quote by teh_Beatles
This man is God of UG, listen to him carefully, because he speaks the truth.

Pffft. I've seen better gods in my toilet bowl...

In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Before going off to right stuff straight away, I think it might be beneficial to try arranging stuff to play solo on bass. Just take a few relly simple melodies, (nursery rhymes maybe?), then sorting that out should give you some idea of works what doesn't, without the pressure of having to come up with your own melody straight up. After your confident with arranging stuff, practice melody writing. Then put the two together.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by Nutter_101

I know.

Dont worry about it, just stop doing drugs.
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
Quote by Nutter_101

He did say of UG.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
This may be what you're looking for TS. But it'd be quite hard to play a year in I'm guessing. :\

EDIT: This is a very beautiful piece as well.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Last edited by AboveTheBridge at Jul 23, 2008,
Quote by AboveTheBridge
This may be what you're looking for TS. But it'd be quite hard to play a year in I'm guessing. :\

EDIT: This is a very beautiful piece as well.

Dude that guy is epic, it's so beautiful
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!