Page 1 of 2
I searched and didn't find a particular Knock-off Thread. Well this is it. Knock-off owners may comment and even write reviews and post gear pics of their knock-off guitars. Also discuss about the disadvantages and advantages of knock-offs. What is the difference between originals and knock-offs? Playability? Value? Feel? Security? Duration? Wood? Which are the reliable knock-off producing companies and which can't be really trusted?
Please follow the rules and don't offend others on this thread. Respect and tolerate each other's opinions please.
MIJ copies for the win.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Kay Les Paul.

Its a great vintage instrument. I mean, it has the heaviness of a Les Paul, and big neck, med output pups. Set Neck. I could get a real nice classic tone out of it. Perfect for the Slash fan. I'd had to go cuz im a shred solo guy, and the neck held me back. Too bad tho
Im pretty sure it was mahogany, twas very similar to Gibson I played.
Last edited by sXe170 at Jul 23, 2008,
I really found one good Knock-Off German Company : Dimavery. I own a Dimavery ST-312 Stratocaster Copy and it plays just like a Stratocaster. Great value I must say!
I got the PAC 012 guitar bundle. It's good for a starter kit. I added a cheap multi effects pedal to it. But it's pretty good. It's got rosewood frets and Seymour Duncan pups I think.
The Yamaha Pacifica 112 is a great fat strat clone at less than half the price! It has a thinner neck than most strats, similar tonewood (Alder) and good construction.
Quote by EddieRhoads
I got the PAC 012 guitar bundle. It's good for a starter kit. I added a cheap multi effects pedal to it. But it's pretty good. It's got rosewood frets and Seymour Duncan pups I think.

Yeah Pacificas are great beginner guitars. So are Dimavery ST-203s. I own a Dimavery ST-203 too. It's a nice black strat copy, same features, great playability, sweet sound, made of basswood, single coil pick-ups (no fret buzz, perfect sound ^^) really great value for the money! A strat for $80, great!!!
Quote by Galaxystart
I really found one good Knock-Off German Company : Dimavery. I own a Dimavery ST-312 Stratocaster Copy and it plays just like a Stratocaster. Great value I must say!

I've got a Dimavery LP and have trouble putting it down. Lovely neck and lovely finish.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
my first guitar was a squire strat knockoff that i bought for $100 (i know it was kind of pointless not to buy a "real" squire) and although you could not play above the 14th fret do to both the mile high action and the mile high pups that hit the strings, 4 years later it still looks, plays and sounds like new... so all in all a decent buy.
Quote by HaKattack
Pop Tarts. Strudels are a Austrian invention; Hitler was also from Austria.
Obviously, Toaster Strudels are the same as Toaster NAZIS.
i had an old memphis lp knock off years ago, it was 500 bucks new, had a set neck and played real nice. i sold it to a guy who still has it, put real gibby electronics and hardware in it, and as far as he`s concerned hes got a nice black les-paul
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Here's my Custom Kimaxe. It's got an Original Floyd Rose and all sorts of goodies. Plus it's just an all around shred machine. I did some research on the company and they made 5 of these, with mine being the first one. There's a yellow one, a purple one, and a green one, and another red one with black hardware. Personally I think mine's is the sexiest of the 5. This one sold new for $3299.00, but I picked it out of a flea market for $200 bucks. Hell, the Floyd is worth that by itself

Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I like my sunn mustang, but that was fender licensed. Does that count as "knockoff?"
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
apart from the squiers and my epiphone "junior model" and G-400, i don't really own any knock-offs.

but there are some really good ones out there, like those un-branded models, the older tokais, vintage, indie and gould, to name a few.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 24, 2008,
My Tokai Tele is great - £300 and it plays like a high end american tele. Bridge pickup was a bit thin, but it sounds fantastic with a Seymour Duncan in the bridge. Japanese copies are where its at..
My tokai sg plays wonderful. Its the USG60 model which goes for 600 pounds, but i bought it used at a guitar store near my house for 400 CND, which was a ultimate deal. The stock pickups sounds great, i might consider changing them for seymours later on, but the stock ones have a great classic SG sound, so I have no complaints. The feel/weight is exactly like a gibson SG, before I bought it I would constantly go to L&M and try out gibson sgs all the time because i loved them, and when i picked this one up it had the same feel so i bought it instantly. The finish is flawless also, but because i bought it new there was a ding or two in the paint other than that it flawless. So pretty much tokai japanese copies are the ****, probably the best knock-off ive ever played. ^^^also to scott hells yeah tokai FTW
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Vintage do a lot of copies, their PRS (they went for VRS) is rather iffy though. The setup was god-awful, the finish on the body was great but the fretboard was tacky and the bridge sucks balls.

Honestly, I've yet to encounter a decent copy.
Quote by Flux'D
Here's my Custom Kimaxe. It's got an Original Floyd Rose and all sorts of goodies. Plus it's just an all around shred machine. I did some research on the company and they made 5 of these, with mine being the first one. There's a yellow one, a purple one, and a green one, and another red one with black hardware. Personally I think mine's is the sexiest of the 5. This one sold new for $3299.00, but I picked it out of a flea market for $200 bucks. Hell, the Floyd is worth that by itself

awesome!

Quote by scott__
My Tokai Tele is great - £300 and it plays like a high end american tele. Bridge pickup was a bit thin, but it sounds fantastic with a Seymour Duncan in the bridge. Japanese copies are where its at..

i have an '84 goldstar (strat copy). excellent (i think it could use new frets though). the pickups are actually quite nice, but they're very vintage in character; i'll probably switch them eventually, but it's not a necessity.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
this thread fails
instruments:
B.C Rich Warlock-Body Art Collection-June 2003
Ibanez SZ520QM
Epiphone PR-100 Acoustic
Squire Strat (way sweeter than it sounds)
Gear:
Line 6 Spider 3 HD75
Peavey Mark III Head
Peavey 1x15 Cabinet
^ then why post?

anyway, on topic. my brother and i bought a peavey "raptor" from a garage sale. it was marked at 5 dollars but we haggled the woman to buy it for 3
it's basically a strat knock off, and we put strap locks on it, new strings, and a few other repairs which i can't remember.
Last edited by strat335 at Jul 24, 2008,
more pics. needs.
instruments:
B.C Rich Warlock-Body Art Collection-June 2003
Ibanez SZ520QM
Epiphone PR-100 Acoustic
Squire Strat (way sweeter than it sounds)
Gear:
Line 6 Spider 3 HD75
Peavey Mark III Head
Peavey 1x15 Cabinet
here is my knock off. not sure what it is. Actually plays nicely and has a very smooth neck.

i re-did the wiring inside to basically clean up the solder joints, my next step would be to replace the pups and get the vibrato bar fixed as it snapped off.
Attachments:
IMG_7486.JPG
Does anyone have any opinions on how good Vintage guitars are?
I'm looking to buy an Epi Valve Standard. If you've got one up for grabs in the Uk, PM me and let me know.
Quote by Robdir

Vintage guitars are amongst the best knock-offs on the planet m8
"I wish I had a Dean :/ Some day I will get my wings too "

I am a beginner guitarist and I am so proud I joined the guitar world ^^ It's pretty cool. Songs I learned till now :

Talk by Coldplay
Quote by Robdir

I played a Vintage Les Paul, and it was pretty good for a knock-off. Built like a brick too.
Nice = ) Their V100 (Les Paul Knock-off) looks frickin nice. Especially in that yummy distressed Lemon Drop. Now just gotta find one to play....
I'm looking to buy an Epi Valve Standard. If you've got one up for grabs in the Uk, PM me and let me know.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
here is my knock off. not sure what it is. Actually plays nicely and has a very smooth neck.

i re-did the wiring inside to basically clean up the solder joints, my next step would be to replace the pups and get the vibrato bar fixed as it snapped off.

Nice feel sorry for the vibrato bar :/

I am a beginner guitarist and I am so proud I joined the guitar world ^^ It's pretty cool. Songs I learned till now :

Talk by Coldplay
i have heard over the years that tokai are pretty great copies but what are the best years for those? (i've read it before but can't remember nor find it)

thanks
take care,
cormac

"The sea was red and the sky was grey
"Wondered how tomorrow could ever follow today"
-- zep
^ i think from around '78 to the mid-80s. I'm not certain though- maybe check at the tokai registry?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

Stratocaster by Aria, the cheapest of the cheap! I put a black guard on, and put grover tuners on. I think she has guage 11s on her at the moment for a passable Townsend Live at Leeds tone, whereby the sound is slightly acoustic when the volume control is down...
Quote by Meddled

Stratocaster by Aria, the cheapest of the cheap! I put a black guard on, and put grover tuners on. I think she has guage 11s on her at the moment for a passable Townsend Live at Leeds tone, whereby the sound is slightly acoustic when the volume control is down...

Nice man ^^ I think I am going to change the looks of my Dimavery ST-203 to those similar to yours. That's amazing!

Talk by Coldplay
Vantage is an out of biz MIJ company. they make alot of Gibson knock-offs:

Vantage -635V

GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
Last edited by Dav23 at Aug 4, 2008,

First guitar, only guitar, best guitar.

Don't ask about the missing tone knob.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
First guitar, only guitar, best guitar.

Don't ask about the missing tone knob.

Glad you like your Knock-off ^^

Talk by Coldplay
I have been wondering about the jem knockoffs do you reckon you could replace the pickups, trem and tuners and have a good guitar?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by lwayneio
I have been wondering about the jem knockoffs do you reckon you could replace the pickups, trem and tuners and have a good guitar?

Yeah ^^

Talk by Coldplay
Quote by Galaxystart
Yeah ^^

really? hmm what could you replace the parts with? like what would be good stuff to put in? obviously a set of evos to match the real jem but what trem and tuners would work? and is that all that would be needed to make it good? I could get the frets scalloped as well i know someone that can do it for £10 per fret.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Page 1 of 2