budget is just over $300(US)
i mostly play metal (all that remains, in flames, etc...)
amp will likely only be used for practice, maybe some recording.
i would prefer a tube amp. not a big fan of solid-state amps.
any suggestions?
Peavey VK112 with an OD.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i would try the spider III from Line 6 for 300$ at Sam Ash. i would recomend this cause it has a song selection to pick song tones like sunshine of your love,back in black and sweet child o mine. and it has like every effect besides Wah-Wah
Quote by LukeBTH
For your budget, check out the Peavey Valveking

is the valveking capable of handling cleans as well?
yeah.
Quote by Slash11214
i would try the spider III from Line 6 for 300$ at Sam Ash. i would recomend this cause it has a song selection to pick song tones like sunshine of your love,back in black and sweet child o mine. and it has like every effect besides Wah-Wah

no. not this.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Honestly at that budget, you're stretching to get a good tube amp voiced for metal.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
save up and get a nice small tube combo. you'll be thankful in the long run
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
wow... not even 30 minutes and he's collected enough information to go buy an amp from Guitar Centre..... sheesh... where's my emoticons?

I researched for a good 3 months... asking all kinds of dumb questions about tubes and speakers and wattage and voicings and etc. etc. before I went and bought my Traynor YCS50. Glad I did.
Hey TubeAmpGuy,

Not to hijack this thread or anything *sheepish grin* but how well does your YCS50 do higher gain hard rock and metal, more modern stuff like Tool and Chevelle and Mastodon? Just curious cause I'm in need of a new amp and am checking the YCS out along with the Mesa F-series. Thanks.
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim
You live up to your name, sir. Well done.

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

I witnessed Night of the Pear 2
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Honestly at that budget, you're stretching to get a good tube amp voiced for metal.

+1

I think the Peavey Bandit would be a better solution for you.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by floydian07
Hey TubeAmpGuy,

Not to hijack this thread or anything *sheepish grin* but how well does your YCS50 do higher gain hard rock and metal, more modern stuff like Tool and Chevelle and Mastodon? Just curious cause I'm in need of a new amp and am checking the YCS out along with the Mesa F-series. Thanks.

Well first off... not my style of music. I knew those bands were heavy but had to look them up on youtube to see what they sound like. So anyway, I was able to get pretty close to those tones and actually learned to play "colony of something" (forget what it was called) by.... Tool I think, maybe Mastadon. Considering I'm using vintage style PAF humbuckers (Wilkinson WVC for the Vintage Lemon Drop to be exact) the amp sounded pretty good in the metal zone. I tried playing a little bit of Master of Puppets at a jam one time and it sounded amazing turned up with the Modern switch and Scoop switch both on. The EQ on the amp is very good.

Yeah it could do it but I cannot compare it with the F-Series since I am not familiar with them (I did have a guy asking to trade a F-50 for this amp tho). I bought this amp because of the versatility.. I can go from vintage clean and blues tones right up to heavy metal and sound good playing all of it.
Last edited by TubeAmpGuy at Jul 23, 2008,
^ Sounds good. I think if you can get a good Colony of Birchmen tone out of it (which is indeed a Mastodon song btw and a kickass one :headbang with PAF's no less then it'll have enough gain to suit my needs. I play a bunch of styles myself from clean blues and jazz to stuff like Portishead to Hendrix to Cream and Trower to Floyd and all the way up to some Metallica, SOAD, Evanescence, Tool etc. so versatility is my main objective with this amp anyway.

Now I just have to find a store that has one in stock.
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

Buy a crate v50, 50 watt tube amp, and buy an OD pedal. Normally these are like 400 bucks, but for some reason, on axemusic.com, they sell for 250 new. Steal of a deal.
Quote by JoePerry4life
Buy a crate v50, 50 watt tube amp, and buy an OD pedal. Normally these are like 400 bucks, but for some reason, on axemusic.com, they sell for 250 new. Steal of a deal.

250 is a sweet deal. That leaves room for new tubes (I imagine they come stock with the cheap Sovteks like many amps) and an OD pedal like a Bad Monkey....

250 + 80 + 60 = Sweet rig
Quote by floydian07
^ Sounds good. I think if you can get a good Colony of Birchmen tone out of it (which is indeed a Mastodon song btw and a kickass one :headbang with PAF's no less then it'll have enough gain to suit my needs. I play a bunch of styles myself from clean blues and jazz to stuff like Portishead to Hendrix to Cream and Trower to Floyd and all the way up to some Metallica, SOAD, Evanescence, Tool etc. so versatility is my main objective with this amp anyway.

Now I just have to find a store that has one in stock.

Yes, it is probably the best value if you're looking for maximum versatility. I cannot make it sound bad, seriously. you can push whatever button you want and set the controls anyway you want but it all sounds good. (Note: Actually this is true after the Vintage 30 speaker is broken in some) And also, this amp loves the classics too. You know how on some cheaper amps you just wanna take out all the mids? With this amp you can dime the mids and you'll begin to wonder why you need treble and bass.
Quote by TubeAmpGuy
Yes, it is probably the best value if you're looking for maximum versatility. I cannot make it sound bad, seriously. you can push whatever button you want and set the controls anyway you want but it all sounds good. (Note: Actually this is true after the Vintage 30 speaker is broken in some) And also, this amp loves the classics too. You know how on some cheaper amps you just wanna take out all the mids? With this amp you can dime the mids and you'll begin to wonder why you need treble and bass.

Yeah, man, I think with a little speaker break-in and maybe even a tube swap I'll be in tone heaven. My search is definitely down to either the YCS or the F-30/50. I'm going out tomorrow to try out all the suitable amps I can find in my price range. I'm determined not to screw this purchase up. (read: I just sold my MG half stack I had for 2 years, got $400 for it though). There's an F-30 for sale locally I might check out too. Thanks for all the info btw.
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

Quote by TubeAmpGuy
wow... not even 30 minutes and he's collected enough information to go buy an amp from Guitar Centre..... sheesh... where's my emoticons?

I researched for a good 3 months... asking all kinds of dumb questions about tubes and speakers and wattage and voicings and etc. etc. before I went and bought my Traynor YCS50. Glad I did.

i said try
i live about 5 minutes away from the store on foot. going there is no big deal