i have been reading alot of the music theory faq guide but im a litte confused in certain aspects and dont really know what concepts i should be trying to grasp first basically im a total noob

im trying to understand scales and chords since i want to be able to jam with friends or make my own songs so any advice in how to achieve this be greatly appreciated

im not sure how i should be learning scales

should i learn then by patterns? the dots on the fretboard
by intervals? (WWHWWWH) this for the major scale
or by the notes? lets take for example C major
C D E F G A and B

then i got a question in this formula type of thing how the hell do you read this things or what the hell are this hieroglyphs ?

Ionian: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Dorian: 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7
Phrygian: 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Lydian: 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7
Mixolydian: 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7
Aeolian: 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Locrian: 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7

the only thing i know so far is the scales degrees memorized but i dont know how do you apply them or why is important to know whats the tonic or the submediant maybe you guys can explain me a little about them

im trying to understand modes as well let use the example you guys had in the musician theory faq guide

C major: C D E F G A B i know dorian mode starts from the D note so it will go like this D E F G A B do i just take the C note out? or do more notes follow im confused as hell

any help is appreciated i hope i explained myself clearly
my english is crap
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
learnt he major scale and key inside and out

modes can be very confusing and recommend knowing themajor completely before moving on
first off, i must say your english is really not that bad.

now onto theory... MUAHHAHAHAHA

alright, so the modes (ionian, phrygian, etc.) i would disregard until you are advanced in theory, since they are not necessary and are very difficult.

i learned all my 2 and 3 octave minor and major scales by the intervals, and combined it with the first note in the scale. for example: A minor scale

e 12 13 15 17
B 12 13 15
G 12 14
D 12 14 15
A 12 14 15
E

That is the A minor scale. to learn it, i would play it over an over until my fingers knew what they were doing without me looking. then, i could move it to different starting points to get every minor scale. for example, move it down 7 frets to the 5th fret, play the same thing but in that position, and you have a D minor scale.

i did the same thing with major scales and the 3 octave versions of major and minor.

now that i knew the scale form, i needed to now where it fit into music. for this, i printed out the circle of fifths, which shows all the commonly used major scales, and how many sharps and flats is in each one. this is important in songwriting because after you get this down, when you play a riff that has an F# and C#, you'll know that it is in the key of D major, and you will mostly be using that scale.

next, we will incorporate minor scales. let's take the scale i just mentioned above, D major. you found that riff, but you want the rest of the song to be sad sounding, so you'll need a minor scale. but, it might not fit in with D major if you pick the wrong one. so, you will need to find the relative minor of D major. play D major, but stop on the sixth note, or B. That note will be the first note of your minor scale. So, find Bon the A string, and play the minor scale i transcribed at the beginning. this is your minor scale that will fit in with the riff you made!

ths is the basic theory that i use for now. just practice it and get to know it well, and you will already be better off than most guitarists.
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
Last edited by Jammin' at Jul 23, 2008,
learnt he major scale and key inside and out

modes can be very confusing and recommend knowing themajor completely before moving on

i know the major scale in one position
i havent bothered to learn it too much i was concetrating on the Minor Pentatonic scale but i will try memorizin it and working on that

the major scale is really tough to improvise on it well at least to me is really tough to make anything sound good on it

i didn't fully understand what you mean by key inside and out could you elaborate on it?

do you mean identifying a song in what key is it? if so the only thing i know about identifying key is that usually the first chord dictates the key

i learned all my 2 and 3 octave minor and major scales by the intervals, and combined it with the first note in the scale. for example: A minor scale

e 12 13 15 17
B 12 13 15
G 12 14
D 12 14 15
A 12 14 15
E

looks like the minor pentatonic scale just a few more notes i will work on this

That is the A minor scale. to learn it, i would play it over an over until my fingers knew what they were doing without me looking. then, i could move it to different starting points to get every minor scale. for example, move it down 7 frets to the 5th fret, play the same thing but in that position, and you have a D minor scale.

i understand the concept of key a little i know that the root note will dictate the key and the root note here im assuming is the 12 fret on the A string making in the key of A

now that i knew the scale form, i needed to now where it fit into music. for this, i printed out the circle of fifths, which shows all the commonly used major scales, and how many sharps and flats is in each one. this is important in songwriting because after you get this down, when you play a riff that has an F# and C#, you'll know that it is in the key of D major, and you will mostly be using that scale.

could you break that concept into baby steps first of all what do you mean by scale form?
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Forget about modes! Also, when learning basic theory, learn it in terms of notes, not in how it works on the guitar.

The first few chapters of the theory link in my signature cover what you need to know.
Forget about modes! Also, when learning basic theory, learn it in terms of notes, not in how it works on the guitar.

The first few chapters of the theory link in my signature cover what you need to know.

i just gave it a quick view and i think im beginning to understand the hieroglyphs XD
when i have some spare time i check it over
i got to study for a math test
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
i didn't fully understand what you mean by key inside and out could you elaborate on it?

like what chords are in a key

i know the major scale in one position

thats good but you should learn how to make it the intervals that make it and the whole sclae across the fretboard

and the hyrogliphics are intervals they explain what is happeneing to a note within a scale