Hey guys, I recently got a Toneport UX1 and a Shure SM57, I tried out recording something with the SM57 mic'd up to the 5150 Cab going into the Toneport. The problem I'm having is that when I record, it sounds muffled.

Hopefully someone with experience can help, thanks.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by Vanquish
Hey guys, I recently got a Toneport UX1 and a Shure SM57, I tried out recording something with the SM57 mic'd up to the 5150 Cab going into the Toneport. The problem I'm having is that when I record, it sounds muffled.

Hopefully someone with experience can help, thanks.

How muffled does it sound? Does it just lack treble, or does it sound like it's in a cardboard box? Also, what program are you using to record?

One thing I know about the tone port, is that you cannot completely bypass the software that came with it. You are always going through whether you want to or not. You have to make sure that the cab, amp, and FX in the software are all disabled. Otherwise something like this will happen. So I would say, check those out 1st and then try again.

Wadester
I uploaded a clip (in my profile) of how it sounds..

This seriously sucks.. I thought I was going to get a good sound out of this.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

ok, now that doesn't sound that bad really. But I do understand what you mean by muffled now. When you use a mic to record an amp it's going to make the amp sound very different than it does just listening to it while playing. I'm not sure exactly why it sounds muffled, but here are a few reasons why it might:

1. The room you are recording in. The room in which you are recording makes a huge difference in what the recording will sound like. If your room accousticly sucks, you will never get good results.

2: The placement of the mic. If you place the mic right on the grill, it could give you a muffled result. IMO it's best to place the mic 2 to 3 inches from the grill. Also, the position you have the mic pointing towards the speaker makes a huge difference. Dead center of the cone usually gives you a brighter sound. Off center or on the edge will give you a more warm/muffled sound. If you have a 4x12 cab, then pointing the mic towards a lower speaker can give you a more bassy/muffled sound. The upper speakers tend to have more highs and mids. It really depends on your cab though. It's best to try all speakers to see which one you like the best.

3: Using a Toneport will force you to have their software running at all times. I think it's called gearbox or something like that. You must have the entire FX rig disabled to use a mic to record your amp. If you do not, then anything that is recorded through the mic will be processed through the FX in the software and could cause a number of different problems.

4: Use a mic stand if you aren't already. Just hanging the mic over the cab next to a speaker will not work properly. That mic is supposed to only pick up sound from the front of the mic. Anything from the sides or behind will result in more of a room sound than an actual speaker sound.

5: This is something you could try if all else fails. You can tweak the EQ on the input channel and record a number of different times until you get the sound you like. I don't recommend this unless you just can't get a good sound otherwise. Try tweaking the highs and mids until you get what you want.

6: Try a number of different amp settings until you get the results you like.

I hope this helps a little. It's very hard to tell why you are getting the sound you are without being there and trying different things.

Let me know if any of these things work for you.

Wadester
Thanks for the tips guys, I was already doing most of what you told me to do.. But I messed around with it some more and I think it's starting to sound better.

I uploaded another clip on my profile.

Listening back on it, it has a sorta digital/processed tone to it. I'm going to try recording my 5150 after work today.. Hopefully I can get a more organic tone out of it.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Last edited by Vanquish at Jul 24, 2008,