Hey everyone, I'm new to this site. Well sort of. I've been getting tabs and reading news off this site since I started playing, but this is my first time making a thread or posting anything.

I've been playing for about 9 months and I've been using my dads old guitar and amp. The guitar is pretty good. It's a Fender Jap Strat about 20 years old. The amp isn't so great. It's also a Fender and again about 20 years old. It's a tube amp with 4 channels and it sounds ok, but there are no knobs to adjust the tone and two of channels sound terrible.

I kinda wanted to buy a new guitar that was my own and paid for 100% by me, so I recently bought a Jackson DXMG. I had to order it and it hasn't arrived yet, but I have played it and loved it right away.

So anyways my question is about a new amp. My parents said they would chip in about 200-300 bucks for a new amp and I have a couple in mind. I've heard a lot of good and bad about the Peavey Valveking 112 Combo amp, but it is one I'm considering. I was wondering though is it worth the extra 100-150 bucks for a Randall RG50TC or a B-52 AT 112?
(or if there are any others in or near that price range that you may know of) I would be using it for practicing at my house or jamming with friends. No gigs yet, but most likely a possibility in the future.

I would prefer a good distortion/overdrive channel to a good clean channel because I mostly play metal, hard rock, classic rock etc. If you want to see any specific bands I listen to you could check out my profile.

Like I said my parents are helping me pay for it so the most I would probably want to spend in TOTAL (parents/my money) would be $700.

Sorry if this post was a bit long, but I just wanted to fill you guys in on my situation and include enough details so hopefully you guys won't need to ask me anything else.

Thanks
Last edited by _Sleepwalker_ at Jul 23, 2008,
Well the Randall and the B 52 have more gain than the VK... I'd buy the Randall
Out of curiosity, what Fender do you currently have?
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
I really have no idea. It's pretty old. It says fender in the left corner and H.O.T. in the right corner. Also the side of it is like carpet... Weird I know.
is it the vibrochamp?
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by _Sleepwalker_
I was wondering though is it worth the extra 100-150 bucks for a Randall RG50TC or a B-52 AT 112?

Yes. Maybe a Traynor YCV 40 or a used Mesa of some sort would be even better.

If you had posted sooner, I'd've discouraged you from buying a guitar at all and investing more heavily in the amp - that's where the majority of your tone comes from.

And I'm also very curious about this Fender amp you're using. Can you post a pic? Maybe get behind it and find some more info... ?
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Here are some pics of my amp. Also it isn't as bad as I said it was. It's actually in pretty good shape considering it's age, I just want something with a more adjustable tone.

And yeah, I've tried to find more information about this amp but there is no model number or anything on it. I've looked everywhere on the amp and what you see on the front is pretty much all there is to know.

I just looked up that Traynor YCV40 and it looks pretty good. Has anyone played one? Are they good for metal?
Attachments:
0723082113.jpg
0723082113a.jpg
interesting looking amp. wish i could give you some info on it. but if you like it and want to save more for an amp, maybe getting the MXR 10-band EQ could be a temp solution until you can get enough for a good amp.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
interesting looking amp. wish i could give you some info on it. but if you like it and want to save more for an amp, maybe getting the MXR 10-band EQ could be a temp solution until you can get enough for a good amp.

I never really thought about that. I don't really have the need for a big pricey amp. I have the money for a decent combo amp though, so I would rather just put my money into that. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Is there anyone against the Randall RG50TC because that looks like the amp I may get. I may also look into that Traynor.
Your amp doesn't appear to be a tube amp. You can read some reviews of it here: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Fender/HOT/10/1

The Traynor YCV 40 is a real nice all around amp, with very nice almost (true) Fender like cleans, but with a more modern, tighter, baby Boogie like lead tone. It would probably do a lot of what you're looking for on it's own, and all of it with a pedal. It's a much higher quality amp than the B-52, Randall, or Valveking, IMHO.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
i wish i had that kind of money as i have been playing for 4 years and the best amp i own is a MG30DFX... witch is ****... so to make this post not tottaly worthless DONT buy an MG,CD or any other Marshall for less than $1,500.
Quote by HaKattack
Pop Tarts. Strudels are a Austrian invention; Hitler was also from Austria.
Obviously, Toaster Strudels are the same as Toaster NAZIS.
Hmmm... maybe it's not a tube amp. According to my dad when he bought it the guy said it was a tube. Oh well, it sounds pretty good anyway. But thanks for your advice about the Traynor. I think I'll have a look around, test both out and see which one I like best.
Quote by amcrambler
i wish i had that kind of money as i have been playing for 4 years and the best amp i own is a MG30DFX... witch is ****... so to make this post not tottaly worthless DONT buy an MG,CD or any other Marshall for less than $1,500.

you can get nice dsl's or jcm's for under a grand used... i dont know what ur talkign about.
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff