I had recently acquire a mic for free. It's a UDM-606, which is a unidirectional, generla purpose. Should I get a better mic, or is it good enough for most intend and purpose?
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
I wasn't entirely familiar with the UDM-606, who makes it? What's the application (vocals? bass? guitar, electric or acoustic?). I found that the UDM-606 is going for not a lot of money right now and with mics you really get what you pay for.

Standard mics that I recommend for budget recording and live use:

Vocals = EV ND767A , AKG D5 (These handhelds are much brighter than the regular Shure SM58). Sterling Audio ST51 (which is a condenser).

Bass Guitar Cab = Audix i5 or Audix D6 (i5 for body, D6 for lower frequencies)

Electric Guitar Cab = Audix i5 or Sennheiser e609 (why not both?)

Acoustic Guitar = Audix i5 for soundhole, Sterling Audio ST51 for neck.

All of these mics are around $100 except for the Audix D6 (which is $200). As an employee of a popular music store, I see countless people come in everyday and get the things in this price range and they never try to return the stuff. Just get what you need for your application.

If I knew more about your mic or use I would be able to tell you what to do.
Guitar: Jackson Warrior WRXT + Jackson RRV JS30RR
Amp: B-52 LG-100A Half Stack
Effects: Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor, Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Last edited by MetallicFallout at Jul 23, 2008,
Well, it's seems to be by JTS, and the only info it has on their website is that they made it in 1982.

I need a mic that is general purpose; good for miking an amp, but also good as a mic for vocal AND harmonica (which will then be fed into the BluesJr)
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
the audix i5 is the best all around mic for miking amps, guitars, harmonica (that's what i use it for) and vocals. suggestion for harmonica though, get a real harp mic if your gonna run it through a blues jr.. the audix is a high z i believe which, in short, means it's meant to just run into a recording system or pa because it feedsback in an amp, pretty badly. for harp, get a honher blues blaster (good beginer harp mic) or if you wanna upgrade all at once, get the shure green bullet (industry standard). PM if you have questions about harp mic stuff.