I was watching vids on youtube and i came across a few videos of the fender relic series of guitars, looking at the related videos i found a few guys who owned/worked in a small guitar shop, they had a brand new 2007 fender j bass (MIM)

They went about relicing it with sand paper and a file, when they finished it looked pretty good but it was still a "brand new" bass that someone attacked with sand paper

These reliced guitars look pretty cool i must admit but is it not sorta pointless?

I love to see a bass thats been worn out over the years, but is it not kinda weird if you have a really beat up bass that looks old and someone asks "what year was it made?" and the reply would be " oh, um, 2008..."

Opinions ?
of course it is pointless but so is anything on your guitar that does not affect the sound
signed,
your favorite poster
why do it yourself? let each scar mean a gig, a practice, not the time you whacked your instrument with a chain.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
my personal opinion is that they're good, cos you can get a relic looking instrument cheaper, if you do it yourself. I understand why people don't like it though.

I've always prefered an instrument that looks like its worked hard for a living, and I suppose self relicing is an option. The dings and marks will never have a story like a real one though. If that matters.
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
I always thought that people like relics not only because of the look, but because they can say that they have an antique that not many other people do.

Personally, I love the look of a new bass just as much as an old one. If someone wants to destroy their brand new bass, thats their decision
~Insert Signature Here~
It's all a matter of what looks good to you. Some people prefer the look of a well worn instrument to that of a new one. Many people cannot afford vintage instruments that have been naturally relic'd though. A vintage 1959 Fender Precision is being sold for $17000. The Fender '59 Precision Bass Relic is $3000. Same look for almost 1/6 of the price.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by aixelsydevahi
It's all a matter of what looks good to you. Some people prefer the look of a well worn instrument to that of a new one. Many people cannot afford vintage instruments that have been naturally relic'd though. A vintage 1959 Fender Precision is being sold for $17000. The Fender '59 Precision Bass Relic is $3000. Same look for almost 1/6 of the price.

or, you can buy a 1000 dollar 2002 p- bass and put it in a paper gig bag.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Deliriumbassist
A bass should only be reliced by your own normal use of it, IMHO. Buying a reliced bass is a bit... poserish.

i agree 100%
To be honnest, you might aswel let the guitar age over a period of time - especially if you are planning on keeping the guitar/bass all your life. If you look at artists such as Sting or Jaco their basses are messed up, but they look gorgeous, they are there to be played and worn in not worn out straight away :|
To be honest I think the relic series is more aimed at collectors that can't afford the originals rather than actual players.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Anyone who buys a relic instrument (pre-made of course, not an actual old instrument) is a ****ing silly goose!

a.) You can do it yourself
b.) You can let it happen
c.) I prefer to take care of my instruments and not have damage.
If someone wants the look and doesn't have twenty years to wear in a new Fender then I can see why they'd have this sort of work done. For some bands, you'd look pretty out of place with anything other than an abused P so the choice is getting an old, already beat-up Fender (stupidly expensive and no guarantee of playing as well as it looks) or getting a new HWY1 and taking the sandpaper to it. Easy decision.
Think of how old Steve Harris' bass could look if it wasnt serviced and well looked after. He takes pride in his instrument being in top shape. As any bassist should know,(imo), hes used the same one for like 20 years.

Personally id hate for mine to look old and ****. I have one tiny dent/scratch that it got recently because I knocked it on the corner of my desk, and Im kicking myself.

Reclic'd bass=No.
Just no.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

Quote by Teh_Asian_Pro
Think of how old Steve Harris' bass could look if it wasnt serviced and well looked after. He takes pride in his instrument being in top shape. As any bassist should know,(imo), hes used the same one for like 20 years.

Personally id hate for mine to look old and ****. I have one tiny dent/scratch that it got recently because I knocked it on the corner of my desk, and Im kicking myself.

Reclic'd bass=No.
Just no.

Don't forget he's resprayed it a couple of times though.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
A bass should only be reliced by your own normal use of it, IMHO. Buying a reliced bass is a bit... poserish.

Plus I love the stories behind all of the scratches dings and wear and tear. And some of those stories I heard from other bass players and guitarists are funny as hell.
IMO relic looks damn ugly
but i kind of feel proud when i see my bass with little damage on the paint or something, it means it has been used, and it reminds me i should be more carefull
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Personally, I just don't like the past tense form of "relic" because it makes it seem as though the "i" should have a long vowel sound as opposed to a short one. It should probably be "relicked" or something. Then again, that looks like "re-licked."

I'm leaving.
Quote by anarkee
Plus I love the stories behind all of the scratches dings and wear and tear. And some of those stories I heard from other bass players and guitarists are funny as hell.

My bass probably reliced me more than I've reliced it... on more than one occasion my strap has come off at the tail end, introducing the side of my face to 4 big Fender style tuners.
My best story is the ding in my Accu-Bass.

I was in a jam group with my husband (drummer) and he said something particularly smartass about my timing on a song. I swung around to throw a pick at his head, the bass came loose from the strap on the tail end, hit my foot and then bounced on the hard floor. Mr. Tam said it was proof that the drum gods were mighty powerful beings. To which (after I stopped cursing over my bruised foot and the ding in the bass), I responded by tossing yet another pick back towards the drum set and his general direction.
To me, the only basses that look good beat down are Fenders. Id prolly cry if I saw a beat down Spector for instance. Proof of this being at the drummers house where I jam, his brother has a gorgeous 5 string Spector thats covered in grit (best word to describe it). while trying it out, I proceeded to clean alot of it off.

I dont really have any funny stories for my dings, just maybe the fact that any dings are all covered up by MY fingernail polish (I went through a phase of painting my finger nails red and I dont know why).
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/