Page 1 of 3
WARNING: Wall of text. I am a big fan of the movies, and have a strong opinion. A lot of you will think i'm silly for making such a thread but for me it's a cult following of the movie. happy reading! feel free to agree, disagree, or even spark conversation on it! I love this series....

I am a huge die hard Terminator fan and have found out about 'Terminator: Salvation.'

So let me start by saying this:

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines was pretty much a joke and aimed at the younger audience of today that has to have constant one liners and short overall length to keep their attention span. The only thing that saved the movie from completely abandoning the terminator-esque atmosphere was Arnie. He played his role perfect, but sad to say the director just isn't up to par when it comes to taking over such a classic action/sci fi trilogy. I enjoyed the bluntness and smart-ass remarks that arnie made, but you could tell that the actors around him made the movie feel like anything OTHER than a terminator sequel. WTH didn't Cameron show them how to REALLY make a sequel?! One hour and 45 minutes? A JOKE. The original second movie was 2 hours and 16 minutes, half an hour longer if you watch the unedited version. i highly recommend that too, if you remember the segment in the movie where they visit Sara Connor's hispanic friends there's a HILARIOUS scene of the T-800 doing the funniest attempt at a robot smile i've ever seen. The plot of the third movie was just so predictable for the most part, and like any director could have made a sequel like that. I enjoy watching it for a lighter, less serious terminator film for a friday night, but i wish they had just made a REAL third installment that didn't leave people dissapointed.

And now....a fourth installment? OK that's nice i guess....director? NOT JAMES CAMERON again...and who's starring? NOT arnie. That doesn't bother me so much as i guess he's smart enough to know when he can't do a role up to his standards....but if THAT'S the case, DON'T MAKE THE DAMN MOVIE. They're focusing on John Connor's story at the beginning of the machines taking over. I must say, this looks VERY interesting. I'm hoping the movie keeps a darker atmosphere, like the first two. I don't like that they tagged the 'Terminator' on the title though, they should have just called it something that didn't make people assume we're seeing arnold do another installment. I'm hoping this movie will not rely completely on well known actors, one liners and cheesy 'funny' moments to carry it through, nor do i want to see a 5 minute long chase scene that just acts as filler (big truck scene in the third movie....arnie was on a bike for like 2 minutes...what a joke...), it makes you wonder why you came to see the movie when you're BEGGING for the chase scene to just end already.

I must include that Brad Winston (i think that's his name) always does fantastic with special effects in the movies (considering the budget and advances in technology at the time) and hope he has more to do w/ the fourth installment. And Brian Fiedel's music for the first two movies is absolutely PERFECT, the mood of the movie is forced upon you with his ingenious use of doomful yet still high energy passages. Of course an instantly recognizable opening theme is good too!

In conclusion, i hope this will make a lot of improvements that Rise of Machines lacked. I love that Christian Bale actually LOOKS like the portrayed future John Connor that they showed in the second movie. Whereas Nick Stahl looked like a goofy angry teenager that forgot where his balls were. I still don't see why they didn't get Edward Furlong to do the third movie, he was the perfect age. He would have also kept the terminator atmosphere going throughout the movie.

And i think it's safe to say, if they don't at LEAST make a cameo w/ arnold in the fourth movie, many people will leave the theater pissed. I will prolly leave that way anyway just cuz it's not a Terminator movie w/o arnold kicking some ass.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Last edited by slash_rocks2005 at Jul 23, 2008,
number 3 killed the series for me
Quote by twolostsouls
Looks nice straight. I have a reason to go gay now.

Not that I am gay.
Of course not.
Not at all.
Nope.

Quote by jewdannydan

This. They should've left it with number 2. Number 3 was ridiculously bad.
Quote by Colgate Total
I won't see it.

Christian Bale annoys me, and it is no Terminator movie without Arnie.

Yeah, no Arnie no terminator.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
If it were anyone else other than Christian Bale playing Connor, I would be worried. I have yet to see him do a shitty job, so I have faith that Salvation will be a pretty good movie. It probably won't be as good as 1 or 2, but it sure as hell will beat out number 3.
Quote by happytimeharry
If it were anyone else other than Christian Bale playing Connor, I would be worried. I have yet to see him do a shitty job, so I have faith that Salvation will be a pretty good movie. It probably won't be as good as 1 or 2, but it sure as hell will beat out number 3.

If it's anything like Batman begins, I'll bring a pillow so I can fall asleep.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Colgate Total
If it's anything like Batman begins, I'll bring a pillow so I can fall asleep.

Meh, we all have our opinions. I thought Begins was great.
It has Christian Bale, aka Win.
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Quote by kaktusnpoop
dont forget McG is directing this

you know, the guy who made the Charlie's Angels movies

Oh... shi-!

Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by kaktusnpoop
dont forget McG is directing this

you know, the guy who made the Charlie's Angels movies

Just as long as there is an absence of Cameron Diaz I won't complain too much.
like i said in the OP, number three is 'fun' to watch....it's sad how you can tell how much it's aimed at younger adults who can't stand to watch more than an hour and a half of a movie. If it was James Cameron as the director, i GUARANTEE you it would have been a completely different story.

the first two were masterpieces, even if you could see the lack of advanced technology compared to now.

but i'm pretty sure Terminator 2 is what made CGI instantly popular. The Abyss came first (also by Cameron) but T2 was like what made it known that it was gonna be used widely in movies. It was such a perfect movie. I'm such a terminator fanboy....but i don't care cuz these movies rock.

And i'll go an see the fourth installment, just cuz you NEVER quite know if they might pull something good out of it. But i'm definitely not expecting to go, "Hey that was actually a good sequel for the terminator series" w/o arnie playing a somewhat moderate role in it. W/ CGI, they'll prolly just put tons of exoskeletons like in the third and expect us to be happy w/ that. But it WILL be interesting to what this director's interpretation of the beginning of Skynet's takeover will be like.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Ugh, so I've known about this for a couple months now and recently saw the preview. I must say, initially I was very excited, what with Christian Bale lending his talents to the film and it being the sort-of Post-Apocalyptic, cat-and-mouse warfare scenario that I do adore so much, but, I've just checked who the director is and it's McG. I mean how could film possibly be good when the whole show is being run by a guy who's a big enough douchebag to call himself 'McG'. How disappointing.
yeah T3 sucked...but I'm a huge fan of the series and T2 is my favorite movie so I will definetly see this movie
Christian Bale will make an awesome John Conner.
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
Terminator 3: Rise of the machines gets the

Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
dirtydeeds, T2 is your favorite movie? that's pretty cool, it's been my favorite ever since i saw it back when i was like 8 or 9. I watched the first one on VHS all the time when i was like 8 and then soon got the second one and watched it just as much. the end scene of the first movie, w/ the exoskeleton (low budget clay-mation type green screening) used to scare me. but the plot and atmosphere of the first two movies are just so captivating that i got addicted them.

i hope christian bale will make a good john connor, and not seem like a confused pubescent teen like Nick Stahl....christ...they shoulda revamped the WHOLE cast (minus arnie) for the third movie. Though it was nice seeing Dr. Silverman make a cameo...that scene cracks me up!!

the saddest part of the third movie is that most people went to see it prolly not even really knowing anything about the trilogy. they prolly just all heard of the movie and knew who arnold was, then went in there and ate that modernized 'action movie' sequence garbage right up. i know that b/c people came outta the theater saying, "that was better than the old stuff." The movie just doesn't compare to the originals...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
I thought I was the only one who has a hard on for T2...

Quote by slash_rocks2005
but the plot and atmosphere of the first two movies are just so captivating that i got addicted them.

I know exactly what you're talking about. The time conflict is interesting. The cinematography in T2 is phenomenal...it's a huge factor of what I love about the movie. The tone of the shadings and textures made the movie sinister throughout.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jul 23, 2008,
i haven't kept up with the series. i've seen parts of the first two over and over on TV, i'm not sure if i've ever sat down to watch them all the way through. i didn't catch the third. my dad likes them quite a bit though. he always brings up how the t-whatever# guy used to work for him at a restaurant in LA 'way back when'.

edit: robert patrick

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Terminator 3 is the worst sequel ever. Not only is the entire movie sub par, but the basic premise goes against the central message of T1 and T2. Those movies' central message was that there was no fate, and that the future is ours to do with what we will. T3 is just "JAHN CONNAH, YOU WEEL LEED DE RESEESTENCE, EEET EES YOUR DESTINY."

I'm going to see T4 simply because I've never seen a movie that had Christian Bale in it that I didn't like. Right now, to me, that's ALL T4's got going for it for me.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
Terminator 3 is the worst sequel ever. Not only is the entire movie sub par, but the basic premise goes against the central message of T1 and T2. Those movies' central message was that there was no fate, and that the future is ours to do with what we will. T3 is just "JAHN CONNAH, YOU WEEL LEED DE RESEESTENCE, EEET EES YOUR DESTINY."

I'm going to see T4 simply because I've never seen a movie that had Christian Bale in it that I didn't like. Right now, to me, that's ALL T4's got going for it for me.

+1
Quote by jewdannydan

3 sucked but nothing can spoil the first 2 for me
yes, robert patrick is quite possibly my favorite villain. every person in the T2 really played their role fantastically. Even the Miles Dyson (character, works for Skynet) doesn't have to be in the movie for more than like 20 minutes and you already get the feeling you know exactly what kinda guy he is. i always hated seeing him get shot up but at least he died for a great cause....LOL...''Judgement day is inevitable" (arnie quote from 3rd, i bet that was a mouthful).

yea xiaoxi, the atmosphere of the movie is like nothing i've ever seen in any other. nor experienced for that matter. the combination of Brad Fiedel's background music is just fantastic....very sci fi-ish but not so much that it doesn't feel like an action movie anymore. i love it hahah.

oh and MTVget0FFtheAIR, you should really sit down and watch the first two from the beginning. They are excellent movies, the first one gets underrated and sometimes stands in the shadow of the sequel, but when you see the two compared it won't take more than a few minutes to guess what the difference in budget was. Great example of a before-and-after when going from B-movie to practically unlimited budget and freedom. Arnold made a sinister villain in the first one, i almost prefer it that way. His scene in the gun store "Hey! You can't do that! *arnie* "WRONG" BOOM!!!" lol that scene is the ****.

i actually found out that arnie had originally opted for the role as Kyle Reese in the first one but got switched around or wutever...though Michael Biehn is a great actor too, it just would have changed soooo much....
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
i must say, i'm glad i'm not the only dedicated Terminator fan on here. glad to know people here know what a good action movie is all about.

If the world went by MY dictionary, Action's definition would be 'Arnold' and Action Movie's definition would be 'Terminator 2: Judgment Day'
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
i must say, i'm glad i'm not the only dedicated Terminator fan on here. glad to know people here know what a good action movie is all about.

If the world went by MY dictionary, Action's definition would be 'Arnold' and Action Movie's definition would be 'Terminator 2: Judgment Day'

not only that, but am I the only one who thinks that the Terminator theme is kick ass?
Quote by Xiaoxi
I thought I was the only one who has a hard on for T2...

I know exactly what you're talking about. The time conflict is interesting. The cinematography in T2 is phenomenal...it's a huge factor of what I love about the movie. The tone of the shadings and textures made the movie sinister throughout.

Don't forget how well the music fit the atmosphere of that movie, well at least in my opinion it was perfect.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Quote by Rust_in_Peace34
Don't forget how well the music fit the atmosphere of that movie, well at least in my opinion it was perfect.

read my last post dude
well i used to burn the theme and a rock remix onto my mix CDs. soo.....yea i still think it's pretty kickass.

i just watched the 1990 trailer on youtube earlier today and got chills from watching it....i've seen the movie at least 30 times and know every scene and line just about....but yet i still got inner excited like it was coming out for the first time LMAO.

i'm gonna be depressed when arnie passes, gonna be the end of the first REAL action movie star. (debateable, but i'm holding ground) Just the fact that he's made the Terminator movies and Predator is enough to make him a god among action stars. not trying to stray the subject onto arnold's other movies, but i'm jus sayin' lol.

i bugged my gf i'm like, "Hey we gotta watch the first terminator movies again, it's been almost a year." we watched the third one a week ago b/c she's never seen it, and i had to make sure she's seen ALL of em. I think she really liked the first one and the second one too, just that it's a long movie even w/ the theatrical version so we have to watch it on a weekend lol.

oh and i used to watch the movie every few months, but i found that watching it maybe two or three times a year at most leaves a lot of time for your brain to forget things about the movie, making it MUCH more enjoyable the next time around! You find yourself going, "oh i forgot about that scene!" lol.

slash_edit: i should clarify, when i say Arnold being the first 'real' action star i mean MODERN. Old western actors and others that came out back in the black and white days i'm not counting, i'm starting w/ the era of chase scenes, big explosions and great one liners.

now that i think of it...if there's ever an action movie that would have a fun sequel, it'd be Commando. the plot was cliche' (even for back then) but the killing was so brutal and funny ass one liners make it such a fun movie.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Yea, the film score is very fitting too. Though I think it has a hint of cheesiness because it carries an 80s glam flare.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by clincher09
It has Christian Bale, aka Win.

+1 I don't get why people hate him, he's been amazing in every movie I've seen him in, American Psycho, Shaft, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight.

And he's hot.

He'll be a great John Connor, this movie does soudn interesting, I saw a trailer when I saw the Dark Knight.
Quote by slash_rocks2005

i bugged my gf i'm like, "Hey we gotta watch the first terminator movies again, it's been almost a year." we watched the third one a week ago b/c she's never seen it, and i had to make sure she's seen ALL of em. I think she really liked the first one and the second one too, just that it's a long movie even w/ the theatrical version so we have to watch it on a weekend lol.

Haha.

I've been raving about T1 and 2 to this female friend of mine. A few months ago she told me she's never seen any, so I was like "omggg you havvee tooooo".

We're gonna see it on Friday.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Haha. You know there's a five and six on board as well, right? Christian Bale signed a three movie contract...That is to say if "Salvation" does well in the box office.
^if i were her i'd be boning you that same night b/c of how turned on i'd be

what'd ya mean by '80s glam fare'? i assume you're talking about the first terminator movie? i know the club scene just screams 80s lol, and even some of the background music is a lil synth excessive, but still fitting. of course sarah connor's hair fits the time period haha. i still laugh everytime i see her friend and her bf get slaughtered at the appartment.

Ablazean, then they should have done like i said. lol, re-title the movie for "The John Connor Chronicles" or something, carrying the terminator badge will piss a lot of dedicated people off like myself.

i hope the movie does well so it doesn't tarnish the Terminator name, but hope they don't stray in their own interpretation that conflicts w/ original storyline. I want things to match up and make sense. Keeping brad fiedel and brian winston will help greatly too.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
The great thing about the serious, pre Terminator 3, was the great plot. 3 left that all behind and just tried to make a tasteless action movie, sure the fights are good, but they're just icing on the cake, the first two were epic!
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^if i were her i'd be boning you that same night b/c of how turned on i'd be
She's not a tranny....

...I hope.

But yea...if only...

what'd ya mean by '80s glam fare'? i assume you're talking about the first terminator movie? i know the club scene just screams 80s lol, and even some of the background music is a lil synth excessive, but still fitting. of course sarah connor's hair fits the time period haha. i still laugh everytime i see her friend and her bf get slaughtered at the appartment.

I'm not talking about the scene or fashion of the movie. I'm talking purely about the music. The first version was of course, very 80's because of the synth. But even with modern or classical instrumentation, it still carries an 80's flare because of the texture of the melody and its chords.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
gotcha, wasn't quite sure at first. but yea, i think the most noticeable is first scene you see Reese, when he's getting chased by the cops. that fast paced really electronic synth sound lol.

i agree, the first two plots were great. i remember James Cameron saying he got the idea for the movie from a nightmare, in which the last scene in the first movie where the terminator climbs from the burning wreck - which is a fantastic yet kinda assumed twist just when you think the movie's over- and stands. that and the red eyes. i believe he said that's where he got the idea for the movie. that's pretty awesome...though that dream would have made me piss myself....
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
If TDK would have been bad,I wouldn't go watch this.
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Page 1 of 3