Page 1 of 3
you are playing with your band during a medium sized gigged on your bass, and your doing great, getting your basslines perfectly, but 70% percent of your sound is being drowned by the guitarrists...what do you guys do to get noticed by the crowd and get them to pay more attention to the bass??
If being in a band is about getting noticed, than I started playing music for the wrong reason.

if you need to get noticed, do something noticeable. if you're about the music, make good music.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
ie: default, red hot chili peppers
Quote by DiMeTiMe
+3.141592

Quote by imgooley
It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi?

yeah, he gave me pi.
play naked?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Green Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Member - Geddy Lee Fan Club -

Hartke 4x10, 400W VX cab
Hartke HA3500 350W head

Squire Custom JAZZ Bass (Midnight Blue)
play naked
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
in my band, me, the other guitar player and my bass player all do the blues brothers grapevine walk across the stage. he just does some cool stuff like moving his bass around a lot
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I don't try and draw attention from anything. When you play live, you play as a band, not as a bunch of compeititors.

yeah your probably right...you play as a team, not as individuals...well, sorry i created this thread in the first place
dance.

solo.

be the hottest one.

play a bass driven song.

but don't take all the attention. share the limelight. there is nothing wrong with wanting some people to cheer you on. when you take all the limelight, you're doing it wrong.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by UtBDan

if you need to get noticed, do something noticeable. if you're about the music, make good music.

+1

I've been "helped" in my learning by an experienced bass player. He told me that if nobody mentions the bass, then you've done a good job.

you'd notice me, cos I'm sh!t
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
Quote by alexdoabismo
you are playing with your band during a medium sized gigged on your bass, and your doing great, getting your basslines perfectly, but 70% percent of your sound is being drowned by the guitarrists...what do you guys do to get noticed by the crowd and get them to pay more attention to the bass??

Kick some ass?
You stole my Overture
at the4 end of each song whip it out.. and just ****in shake it at the crowd, they love it... especially the kiddos
Throw your bass up in the air and let it hit you in the head, much cooler and more noticeable than catching it.
Quote by metallicock
set the drummer on fire

this
//Overture

"You don't learn funk, the funk learns you.."
Move around, do some head banging, do a duet thing with the guitarist or set up a pop and slap beat down for like 10 seconds or so if your song allows it. As stated before, it's not bad to attempt to get the crowd cheering for you, just don't soak up all the glory. Share it, but also set aside some for yourself. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.
I swear officer, his nose ran into my fist and just continued on doing it.
Quote by alexdoabismo
but 70% percent of your sound is being drowned by the guitarrists...what do you guys do to get noticed by the crowd and get them to pay more attention to the bass??

70%? Well if you want people to notice you then sing or something, have some stage presence. If you want people to hear the bass in the song you want to use some different EQ settings, or get a different amp.
People still may not notice you, but they will feel you, and you'll get people to move around in the crowd and do w/e it is they do.
Quote by TatarSalad2
Do that crazy Robert Trujillo walk thing that he does.

This.

but seriously, you're a band. it's not like a talent show against each other. YOu are one entity.
Quote by Crimzin3
The Myth: Mesa amps were given to us by God, and sound as such.
The Truth: True. God is the CEO and Jesus does QC at Mesa...yup.

Quote by TormentedRx
Throw your bass up in the air and let it hit you in the head, much cooler and more noticeable than catching it.

ahhh krist novoselic..lol

I've been "helped" in my learning by an experienced bass player. He told me that if nobody mentions the bass, then you've done a good job.

you'd notice me, cos I'm sh!t

Can't think of a better way to put it. I play to keep the band's sound going. A couple of well placed fills and grooves never hurt of course, but playing bass is about enjoying yourself, not getting noticed.

Let the singer and guitarist/s do the hard getting noticed work and just stand nearby them to you're in eyeshot while they do it. At least that's how I work.
Slap me with a wet fish and call me ronald mcdonald
Eat a baby.

Rape a kitten.

I mean, seriously, the list goes on...

Play Dodgeball with the crowd, except the ball is a grenade.

Breathe fire.

Grow wings.

Get the idea?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
start killing your bandmates.

Foolproof.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by iantheman
be a girl

Yeah--that usually gets me noticed even before I start playing, lol.

But if you're in it for the ego and not the music, then maybe bass is not for you.
Quote by anarkee
Yeah--that usually gets me noticed even before I start playing, lol.

But if you're in it for the ego and not the music, then maybe bass is not for you.

Well said

Bass doesnt need to be complex, some of the simplest things can make you sound / be cool
Enjoy yourself. You would get noticed more imo if you get really into the music, and look like your having a good time.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

If you're playing hard rock or metal, you'll never get attention from your bass parts, only by how hot you are/how much **** you pull off on stage. If you're in a metal band and you're trying to garner attention from your bass parts, I can come out and say that you probably suck, and you're stinking up the song. Not that it's impossible to write good metal basslines, but you're not up there to put on a bass show.

With groovier art forms, I prefer not to be noticed. Play your lines, move some booty, and they'll never realize you were there. Booty ninja.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
If you're talking about your sound being noticed... talk to whoever's doing your sound. If you're talking about the audience noticing your presence, it should be about the music. However, I know guys who get frustrated playing all night and when they leave the stage it was like nobody noticed they were on stage at all. Do some simple PR work for your band, and it will help the band and help people notice you the next time they see you play.

Smooze after the gig with the audience and be cool about it. Don't be an ego maniac or hit on everything that moves. Thank them for coming or ask how they liked the show.
Sing.

Do crazy headbanging that makes you look partially mentally challenged.

Go victor wooten and start double thumping like mad while your guitarists are setting up there thousands of pedals :P.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Play well and enjoy what you're doing. You knew you wouldn't get noticed as much as the guitarist when you picked the bass.
Siggity-sig-sig-sig.
If you want to get noticed do what every good rock bassist from the 70s/80s has done and wear a terrible ****ing costume like striped spandex pants or polka dot jumpsuits or any gaudy dress you can think of. Also you have to be more phyically active and jump around stage like a loon. It worked for people like Pete Way and Nikki Sixx.
Page 1 of 3