So I have some problems here....

(sorry for length)
*scrolled down so you wouldn't see squier and ignore this *
My guitar (squier strat), was perfectly fine up until I changed strings today. I took all the strings off to clean the fretboard, then put some Blue Steel 10's on it (it previously had ernie ball super slinkies on it). I used the 'lock tuning method' where you pull the string under itself and it pinches itself to hold tune. I thought I did decent at it, but then I find out my strings had developed fret buzz all over. I thought that could be the problem, so I put a capo on the first fret. It still was buzzing, and because of the capo, it couldn't be the tuning pegs, right?

So next I raise the individual string height. These puppies are almost all the way off they are so high, and yet it's still buzzing . For kicks I lower it way down also. Still buzz.

I move on to the truss rod. I'm no expert in this thing, but common sense says don't move it too much and/or force it (and I didn't). I'm fairly certain that there is a slight concave (middle lower then ends) curve. Would it hurt to loosen the truss rod even more? When I measured the ____ (forget the term) from 1st fret to last fret, I could fit a credit card in there at the 8th fret and that supposedly is about the proper fit.

The obvious answer is take it to a tech. I'll probably end up doing this... but, I'm hoping someone could share some tidbit of info I havn't found in my netwide search (I have looked well, and stuff isn't working)
Last edited by oggiedoggy at Jul 23, 2008,
is ur bridge still level with the body of the guitar?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
fret the low E at the first fret, at the same time,
fret the Low E at the last fret, where the neck and body meet. wt both places held.

look at the middle frets 7-9th,

if the string lays on the fretwire there, you dont have enough bend,
if the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the wire there, you have too much bend.

measure and repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

it fits seemingly correctly. As I'm holding the frets down the card will stay in place. I let the top fret go and it drops. String definitely doesn't touch the frets there
it could probably use a tiny bit more bend but where is the buzz, what strings, what frets?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

If the buzzing is coming from the the top of the neck (15ft and above) your neck may be too concave. Try adjusting the neck to make it more convex. Also it may just be the new strings i'd give it a week or two before seeing a tech
the high e string seems unaffected by buzzing problem (oddly also the only string left unstrung when I had only 5 strings on a few days ago). The rest are pretty touchy from 8-9 on up. It's as if you are really smacking the strings. I'm not an overly aggressive picker, either. I have the each string raised rather high as well. That is why I'm stumped
royalstrat, that is along my lines. Are we on the same page with making it more convex meaning that while I'm looking down the neck towards the body, I turn the truss rod clock wise? I always heard that you need more concave bend if you are fretting out
If the new strings are lighter than the old strings the neck will be straighter or bowed back thus causing the strings to rattle all over the place.

Find out how to set the relief of the neck. The string action should be ok if it played ok with the old strings but you may have to reset the intonations.

With string changes the neck relief is affected.
This is the website I refer everyone to when it comes to adjusting the truss-rod. Just read through it carefully and remember that a little adjustment goes a long way.

Also remember that it may take even a couple days for the neck to settle. So even if you make an adjustment, the neck may continue to move (ever slightly) for even a day. You'll want to adjust it till it's comfortable for you, then maybe go back to it after a day or so to make sure things have stayed or if it needs further adjustment.

http://www.athensmusician.net/archive/2001-05-01_geneimbody1.shtml

Like was said before, if you use lighter strings than what you previously had there, it's possible the truss rod will need to be adjusted.

If you want to lessen the need for these adjustments, the best thing to do is to make sure you stick with the same string gauge and manufacturer.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."