Here's the situation.

Just got my CS69 pickups in my strat today. Sound like a dream. The tone i've been looking for all along.
So, obviously, I wanted to give them a test run. I plugged into my 60watt HRDeville and cranked it till it was saturating... at about 8/12. I was diggin the tones but I couldn't do it for more than a few minutes, as 1- my ears mess up and get all fuzzy, 2- my parents got home.

As soon as they walk in, my dad starts yelling at me. Apparently he heard it 100 yards away, in the car, with windows closed in the house and the car. I called BS but he said he could.

I think thats the last strand, all. I can't carry the ****er, its too loud for home use... then what the hell is the point in owning it if I can't get it anywhere and can't let it shine here? They bought it two years ago for me when I was starting out, I had no say in the amp. It was a surprise when it showed up at the door.

Do you think I should trade this thing in, or keep it for whatever may come up in the future? What are some suggestions for trade-ins? Are you all gonna say "Peavey classic 30" and "blues junior" as always?

P.S. I'm not spending any more money on a new amp; only considering a trade in. The shop just charged me $210 for a pickup installation and $222 for the pickups. Obviously I'm not in the best of moods.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
go for an attenuator. thats a nice amp so i personally wouldnt trade it in
Wait a minute you paid $210 for a pick up change!?!?!

That is extremely overpriced!
Quote by jake911

yeah, what do do expect though? they have to make money somehow
+1 for solder skills
Attenuators aren't a solve all. Some can "flatten" and "Drain" your tone. The other issue is it will never sound the same anyway, as you aren't moving the same amount of air. This becomes more important when you are using bigger speakers. Why can't you use at normal volumes? If I was one of your neighbors, I would of been beating down the door. My VJ was loud enough for the people next door to hear. My advice is an OD pedal.

Also yes, you got raped on pickup installation fees unless you like live in Australia.
Quote by jake911

Yes. It is. 12 bucks shy of how much the pickups cost.

The second I walked into the shop he started showing me all this "awesome" stuff that he did to it that I did not ask for... he showed me a capacitor with a 15 dollar pricetag and says to me "that thing is top of the line, I put three in there, its gonna sound great" and keeps going down a list of all the **** that he did. That I didn't ask for.

I was SO goddamn mad. But what am I going to do? "Put it back"?

Grafsdafj!
-Jim Morrison
Quote by jake911
Hmm, wow I wouldn't go to that shop,

I'm not giving them any more of my business.

My friend got his pickups installed for 60 bucks. Why the hell did I get raped.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by CJRocker
Attenuators aren't a solve all. Some can "flatten" and "Drain" your tone. The other issue is it will never sound the same anyway, as you aren't moving the same amount of air. This becomes more important when you are using bigger speakers. Why can't you use at normal volumes? If I was one of your neighbors, I would of been beating down the door. My VJ was loud enough for the people next door to hear. My advice is an OD pedal.

Also yes, you got raped on pickup installation fees unless you like live in Australia.

i hear the weber speaker motor attenuators are an improvement to the older resistor type ones? though i personally havent heard an amp using one so i cant comment firsthand.

but now that i think of it, the HRD's OD isnt really amazing so an OD pedal would definitely a good, cheaper alternative
I would have said i didnt ask for it so i am not gonna pay for it. Harder to do, but you gotta do something like it eventually.
Quote by corbn89
i hear the weber speaker motor attenuators are an improvement to the older resistor type ones? though i personally havent heard an amp using one so i cant comment firsthand.

but now that i think of it, the HRD's OD isnt really amazing so an OD pedal would definitely a good, cheaper alternative

No clue. I've always thought THD Hot Plates were tone killers. I heard one case of the Weber being easy to over attenuate and damage. IMO, it's like an expensive OD pedal.
I'm in your situation; I got a Boogie Roadster head.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
The fuzzy sound in your ears is your hearing going. Keep it up the ringing will become permanent and progressively get louder to the point where it will become hard to sleep at night. If you want a tube amp you can crank and not piss off your parents your gonna need like a 5 watt. My 30 watt never gores past 5 and is to much to be in the house with. So trade it or learn to turn it down.
Quote by Tackleberry
The fuzzy sound in your ears is your hearing going. Keep it up the ringing will become permanent and progressively get louder to the point where it will become hard to sleep at night. If you want a tube amp you can crank and not piss off your parents your gonna need like a 5 watt. My 30 watt never gores past 5 and is to much to be in the house with. So trade it or learn to turn it down.

Yeah I figured as much. At least I haven't done it too often.

For all you people saying I need an OD pedal; I have a Boss BD-2, but I've always had it sweetspotted on very minor settings for barely increasing the crunch. I'll try to re-sweetspot it when the amp is quiet, and try to get the tone a bit better.
-Jim Morrison
Hey slinkyblue, I just ordered one of the ted weber attenuators yesterday for my krank rev jr since it is so loud that I can't play it inside. Do you want me to PM you when it gets here to let you know if it works any good or not? It cost me about $110 to have it shipped.
dude. Even with all that small crap. I'd say 60 bucks is still pretty high man. It probably took him 20-30 minutes to do the work on that, if he has ever done a pickguard before. That's insanely overpriced.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by 2HoldOr2Fold
Hey slinkyblue, I just ordered one of the ted weber attenuators yesterday for my krank rev jr since it is so loud that I can't play it inside. Do you want me to PM you when it gets here to let you know if it works any good or not? It cost me about $110 to have it shipped.

yeah dude let me know. =)
-Jim Morrison