I read an article recently about drummers to guitarist ratio

and it got me thinking. TONSS of people around my area play guitar or bass but very few play drums. according to the article guitarists might outnumber drummers 10 to 1. Im just wondering if anyone else has experienced problems with finding a drummer
In Thirteen Seconds
It's been thirteen seconds
since you all last said
i've become the apparition
You predicted for my death

Myspace
haha, yea I had so much trouble in my area that I bought a kit and learned to play.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
I'm the opposite actually. A year or so ago I started looking for some people to jam with and I found four drummers and one guitarist..

Yep.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
I'd agree. I used to have a drummer, and other than the fact he was whipped by his girl, he wasn't very good. So a GOOD drummer is hard to find.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
i live in maryland, and yeah, drummers (and bassists for that matter) are hard to come by. however, my friend in LA says that where he lives, drummers are very easy to come by, and guitarists aren't because they're usually already in a band.
dude i'm still looking for a drummer but its no surprise drum kits are way too expensive not to mention loud and annoying in their first year of learning how to play so most of em just quit.
i guess its all about where you live and your communities views on drums/guitars
where i live being a guitarist is considered the shiz. drummers are under valued so i guess no one takes em up
In Thirteen Seconds
since you all last said

Myspace
Guitarists are outnumbered only by bacteria. The trick in finding one is making sure they are the right *person* for the job, and are musically compatible, etc. That is, of course, assuming they can play. Lots of good players out there.

Drummers are somewhat in abundance, I find. Outnumbered by guitarists by about 10:1 as stated above sounds about right. Lots of drummers don't mind playing in two bands, though, so if you can work with that, you're okay. Lots of crappy drummers, though. Look for one who has a sense of dynamics and you're golden.

Bass players - a bitch to find. Geezus... And then out of the one in a zillion people who play bass, only about 10% of them are any good. The other 90% of them are just guitar players who found six strings too much to cope with. Boring as all hell. Think Adam Clayton from U2. :roll

Singers. Bloody damned singers. Prima Donnas, losers, flakes, etc. Holy hell. I should know. I am one. I only became one because I couldn't find one! Most singers find one band more than enough to deal with too, so don't expect some miracle that they'll play with you also if they already happen to be in a band.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Drummers are hella hard to find here. That is a decent drummer. Bassists are relatively easy to come by and vocalists are another thing. We couldn;t find one so our lead guitarist took it over.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
I'm the opposite actually. A year or so ago I started looking for some people to jam with and I found four drummers and one guitarist..

Yep.

Lucky bastard.

If you live in a decent sized town or city it's not hard to find a drummer. Finding a GOOD drummer who is at least somewhat committed, that is hard. Although I've been lucky enough to play with a lot of good drummers.

It's kind of funny actually, me and my friend tried to start up a band a while back. We auditioned/played for varying degrees of time with SIX different drummers and all of them sucked. We eventually broke the band up because we concluded that he was drummer jinx. Meanwhile, I've played in about 3 or 4 other bands with five different drummers and all of them have been kickass drummers.
My band looked for a drummer for about 8 months. We finaly convinced one local guy to play in 2 bands. He is very good, and we were lucky to get him. He says that ge gets propositions to play in a band 2 per month - -
For a real pervert, any exit can be an entrance.
Quote by sTx
Awesome post, dude.

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Goth
Peavey Valveking 112
My metal band, Nilfgaard
Guitarists are a rarity around here, well good ones anyway... There're hordes of death metal (yuck) guitarists who refuse to play with you unless your vocalist growls 90% of the time(We've got a female vocalist), and also quite a few people with guitars and no dedication to them.

And drummers, if you can get someone with a kit and a sense of rhythm it's all good for simple stuff like what we do at the moment.

Bass players are the massive problem for us; only one in the area that I know of and he's going to university at the end of these holidays. Might just do an "...and Justice for all" and go without if we can't find a permanent soon.
I think bassists are easy to find. Most of the guitarists around my hometown play both bass and guitar. Even i have some basic skills on the bass. I don't know about finding GOOD bass players though. I really havent watched the bassists play so no idea if most have skills. Drummers on the other hand are a rarity and good drummers are even more rare
In Thirteen Seconds
since you all last said

Myspace
Quote by Sound Mind
i live in maryland, and yeah, drummers (and bassists for that matter) are hard to come by. however, my friend in LA says that where he lives, drummers are very easy to come by, and guitarists aren't because they're usually already in a band.

Amen. In Maryland it really is a needle in a haystack to find a good drummer or bassist.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
The truth of the matter is, its harder to play drums than it is to play guitar, or at least it takes longer to get decent. I am both a drummer and a guitarist and I found that playing guitar to an acceptable degree doesn't take that long, but from drums you kinda need to be born with that rhythm, thats why there are less drummers, because either you are a candidate to be one or you're not. Obviously anything can be learned eventually but you have to have the will power sit through your amateur playing in order to advance.
Quote by Steel Skins
... anything can be learned eventually but you have to have the will power sit through your amateur playing in order to advance.

There is the thing there. It really depends on the person and their aptitudes which instrument is easier than another. A lot of people say that flute is easy to play. I still have a tough time with it, though I play (though, certainly, not all of them well...) practically every other reed, double-reed and brass instrument, along with guitar, bass, cello, double-bass, and keyboards. (and a little bit of percussion).

I think it is easy to learn how to hold down a basic beat and throw in a couple of fills and stuff, as it is similarly easy to learn a few power chords and play Green Day or Nirvana or whatever.

Like all (or at least most.... ) instruments, depending on your aptitudes, it is easy to learn a few basic things to get going, but regardless of instrument, it takes a lifetime of study to become truly accomplished.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

From what i heard drums aren't all that hard to play. Its like what steel skins said, you have to be born with an apptitude for it. I know some people who picked up a drum kit and immidiately had a great time. I know that I will never master the drums because i have horrible skills for drums. I guess its totally easier if you aquired a knack someway before you even picked it up.
In Thirteen Seconds
since you all last said

Myspace
Aptitude helps, for sure. Hard work > aptitude.

CT

yeah but hardwork+apptitude=good drummer
its hard to find drummers with either of those traits
In Thirteen Seconds
since you all last said

Myspace
if ya got a good sense of rythem you can go far in drumming unfortunataly no one can keep a beat usually...either too slow or they speed up
drums arnt that much more expensive. a gig worth, or jam worth drumset can be had for 5-800 dollars, where a gig worth guitar and amp will run you close to the same. i paid over $1000 for my main setup, and thats with a MIM tele, not even a very expensive guitar. not counting backup guitar, practice amp, pedals, cables. my drummer has a badass set that he has invested under $1000 in. a begining guitar+amp setup is cheaper than a begining drum set, but when its time for a guitarist to play a show, its time for a 30-50w amp minimum, and if you want good sound, more than that, and probobly a half stack. a drummer can get away with a bottom to mid line pearl or ludwig set for under $800 and sound good still.

i think its more finding the place to PRACTICE drums. they are loud, always. and no roommates, parents, siblings, etc want a drumset in the room next to them or you to be playing it while they are home, or at least trying to do something. i can play my guitars at any time of the night and no one knows the wiser.

other point, i cant play drums, but can play guitar so i think guitar is easier. my drummer is the opposite, he wishes he could play guitar, but is amazing at the drums. they are different beasts that require playing them differently. so yeah one can be seen as harder than the other. expecially if you play guitar and are usta a sort of "lead" roll in the sound and drums arnt in the backseat so to say, but arnt the driving sound of songs usually. there are exceptions, lots of them, but as a whole its fairly accurate.
Its not actually hard to find Decent Drummers in my Small Town.

Its hard finding ones that arent in a band
The rythme guitarist and i were in PAIN because we could not find a drummer, until my friend who had finished his a levels, had time , so he joined, once he joined i found like 7 drummers who answeed my bands ads and that i met on several ocasions
Drums really are hard to find. I would know, considering that's the one piece of the puzzle that I'm missing right now.

For bass, I just taught a friend who played guitar how to play bass. She picked up quickly.

Finding a good vocalist is by far the hardest, though. You have all of these people who think they can sing, when they can't carry a tune in a bucket.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
I happened to get lucky, I went to a private school for K-8 and I was one of three guitarists, and there was one drummer. So in 9th grade when I went to start a band, of course I called him up, and at the time he had 3 bands wanting to form with him, and somehow I got him. Works out great, hes a ****ing amazing drummer, great practice space, musically we mesh perfectly, and he always has a vision for a song. This works out GREAT because I usually write a riff and then hit writers block, then he tells me the song structure it's going to have and I can fill in the missing pieces.
As for bassists, I know two, and one of them will be trying out very very soon.
Now if only I could find a singer........
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
i love our drummer, we play our song, to him or we record it give it ti him to listen to, 10-30 minutes late he has the beat!
During one of Guitar Center's 12mo no interest sales I picked up a Roland TD6SX kit for ~$1900. Honestly, it's awesome. I have a friend who is learning to play right now on it, and that setup really is gigworthy.

Some folks hate v-drums, but then again some folks really hate SS amps. The reduction in setup time and elimination of the need to mic the drums makes them viable alternative for practice AND performance, if you ask me.
Quote by alienboy18241
I happened to get lucky, I went to a private school for K-8 and I was one of three guitarists, and there was one drummer. So in 9th grade when I went to start a band, of course I called him up, and at the time he had 3 bands wanting to form with him, and somehow I got him. Works out great, hes a ****ing amazing drummer, great practice space, musically we mesh perfectly, and he always has a vision for a song. This works out GREAT because I usually write a riff and then hit writers block, then he tells me the song structure it's going to have and I can fill in the missing pieces.
As for bassists, I know two, and one of them will be trying out very very soon.
Now if only I could find a singer........

haha same here i just need a singer and drummer and i'm gold it be nice to have a bassist but when recording i can do both.
drummers are hard to find

but what's even harder to find

are good singers
the arsonist had oddly shaped feet...
I'm a drummer and I am having a tough time finding a band to play in. Also I am a very committed person, and have practice space, and if i must say so am pretty damn good.

So i guess its all just circumstance, every case is different.

One reason that i believe there are a lot more guitarists than drummers, is because parents don't think drums take much skill, or musical talent to learn. They think that on guitar you read music and takes much more musical talent to play guitar, and they think that drums are just banging around and anyone can do it. Even people in this thread said that drums aren't that hard to learn. I teach both guitar and drums, and always have a lot more guitar students than drums.

Drummer require just as much skill as guitar, you read music just like guitar, you have to coordinate all you arms and legs, not just your fingers. There are college degree's in drumming, just like there is for guitar. Its like teaching someone who's never played guitar to play smoke on the water, they would probably say it's not that hard, but they have no idea.
The reason you have more guitar students than drum students is that more parents will buy their kids guitars than drums.

The reason parents won't buy drums is because there is no volume button on a drum kit, you can't play drums with headphones, and they take up more than just a small corner of your bedroom.

Oh.... and a cheap guitar/amp setup is generally cheaper than a cheap drum setup.

CT

i have so much trouble finding drummers in my area

so much so that i try convince people to learn
...i would learn if i just had the money for a kit.
Thank God I'm not a Stereotype.

Quote by ANTHRAX†
When in doubt, whip it out.

Quote by Guitar_picker36
...im a girl i dont know how to upload pictures and stuff.

in my area drummers are easy to find.

in my band it is IMPOSIBLE to find bass players it pisses me off so badly....
If you live in a flat, terraced house, or a semi-detached one, you're going to be very unpopular if you buy your kids a drum set.

At least a guitar's quiet sometimes.

So there's less people who can start drumming as opposed to guitar.

I'm lucky - my brother plays drums, and I play bass, so we'll never have trouble finding a band to play with.