currently im using an epiphone SG-310.

I'm learning the poison solo (Alice Cooper) and i'm having a problem with some quick notes between the 17th fret and the 20th fret.

My question is, do nicer guitars have better spacing between the high frets. I think part of my problem is that the neck meets the guitar at 17 so it gets a lot thicker and the cutaway is getting in the way a little.
You mean the distance in between the frets? The only way to change that is to change the scale length. Try a guitar that's a 25.5" scale (basically that means twenty five and a half inches from bridge to nut). That usually helps. Of course this has some side effects.

Some guitars to try are a fender strat (I think they're 25.5) ummm Dean 225? BC Richs... Lots of guitars have them. Gibson/epi have few if any.

Where the neck meets the guitar and the cutaway are just standard problems though, can't really get past them. Just have to deal. That's the first thing I check out when looking at a new guitar
Quote by edusty2010
You mean the distance in between the frets? The only way to change that is to change the scale length. Try a guitar that's a 25.5" scale (basically that means twenty five and a half inches from bridge to nut). That usually helps. Of course this has some side effects.

Some guitars to try are a fender strat (I think they're 25.5) ummm Dean 225? BC Richs... Lots of guitars have them. Gibson/epi have few if any.

Where the neck meets the guitar and the cutaway are just standard problems though, can't really get past them. Just have to deal. That's the first thing I check out when looking at a new guitar

A lot of the full size Ibanez RG's are 25.5" scales and they have the All Access Neck Joint (AANJ) heel to getting past the 15th fret is less of an issue. I like them, it seems few do around here.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by Dudage
A lot of the full size Ibanez RG's are 25.5" scales and they have the All Access Neck Joint (AANJ) heel to getting past the 15th fret is less of an issue. I like them, it seems few do around here.

Those do have a pretty good neck/body joint. Idk, TC the best advice I think we can give you is to seriously just go to a store, ask a clerk to pull you like maybe 3 guitars of different shapes or scale lengths and just sit and play each one. You'll be able to tell what's more comfortable to you better than we can.
The 310 is a bolt neck so has very different upper fret access than set neck SG. If you want the frets farther apart then you need a longer scale guitar.