Ok

I wanna start a thread on the scales many guitarists used for their music

So, post a guitarist, hopefully famous, and put down a few scales they used, technique
No. Good God, no.
Scales are next to irrelevant in the overall sound of the music. Using a scale will not make you sound like a particular guitarist, even ignoring the fact that you'd be hard pressed to find one that uses a single scale. We don't need another one of these threads.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Slash- Minor Pentatonics. Almost always. Unless he added an extra scale here and there.
James Hetfield- Riffs are Phrygian and Major/Minor Runs.
Kirk Hammett - The base of the solos are minor pents but there is the occasional run in something else.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Kirk Hammett - The base of the solos are minor pents

Almost everything pre-Load was based in the minor scale, with very frequent use of flat seconds and fifth. I'd be hard pressed to name a solo based entirely, or even largely, in the minor pentatonic (again, pre-Load). Why people keep accusing him of overusing the pentatonic scales is beyond me.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
No. Good God, no.
Scales are next to irrelevant in the overall sound of the music. Using a scale will not make you sound like a particular guitarist, even ignoring the fact that you'd be hard pressed to find one that uses a single scale. We don't need another one of these threads.

I'm asking this to derive the patterns they will use and find the consonance and dissonance of their patterns. I'm no trying to sound like them. I'm studying it.
Most rock and metal guitarists use these three scales the most, Minor pentatonic, Natural Minor, and Harmonic Minor. They also switch out every once and a while with the relative major of those minor scales (especially in rock). Though the more dynamic players will incorporate scales like spanish gypsy and phrygian and basically for metal and rock any scales that sound melancholy and are easy to intertwine with the three main scales I mentioned above.
Quote by Fromaster
I'm asking this to derive the patterns they will use and find the consonance and dissonance of their patterns. I'm no trying to sound like them. I'm studying it.

Even then, it's not the scale, it's how you use it. Pick a guitarist and study his solos.
Quote by Fromaster

In that case you want to be more concerned with their signature licks and favoured intervals rather than scales.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
He's not saying that, he just wants to know Scales that famous Guitarists have used.
Quote by Archeo Avis
No. Good God, no.
THANK YOU !
+1,000,000
Would you people please calm down? Sure, you're not going to sound famous using famous people's scales. But for god's sake, lighten up. This isn't some kinda college course in phrasing.

Off the top of my head,

Joe Satriani - Phrygian Dominant (He's frequently stated it's his favorite, and it shows)
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez - Harmonic Minor (Evident in many of the Volta's compositions)
yngwie malmsteen harmonic minor

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Would you people please calm down? Sure, you're not going to sound famous using famous people's scales. But for god's sake, lighten up. This isn't some kinda college course in phrasing.

That's no excuse for offering false information. The scale you use is very nearly irrelevant when it comes to the overall sound of the music. If you want to understand why an artist sounds the way he does, the scale is the last place you need to look.

p.s. - Satriani very very rarely uses phrygian dominant.
Well the thing is, it's not going to help much. Sure, Kirk Hammet used the minor pentatonic scale a lot(post-Load?), but so did(and does) A LOT of other guitarists. Plenty of people use the major scale and sound radically different, so it's more important what they do WITH the major scale than that they use it.
Dimebag Darrel mostly blues/ minor pentatonics with exception of some licks
I do believe Mr. Hamett uses phyrigian more than pentatonics( exception "The Unforgiven")
Yngwie uses Diminished scales , harmonic minors and phyrigian scales
Every guitarist known to man - The right phrasing/note choice scale

BTW, note choice DOES NOT mean scales. It means the choice between using one note or interval instead of another. To get the sound you like, you need the right phrasing, right note choice, right backing (chords and riffs underneath), right tone (never underestimate tyour amp) and the right rhthym.

Yeah sure, Satch might like the phrygian dominant scale, but I'm pretty sure what he really likes is the darkness of the m2/m6, yet its brightening M3, this is just his note choice quirks. Ofcourse very few of you probably know what I'm talking about so I'll stfu.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Almost everything pre-Load was based in the minor scale, with very frequent use of flat seconds and fifth. I'd be hard pressed to name a solo based entirely, or even largely, in the minor pentatonic (again, pre-Load). Why people keep accusing him of overusing the pentatonic scales is beyond me.

Ive learned quite a few kirk hammet parts/solos and i would have to agree with you that they definatly dont seem like they are based in a pentatonic. I would also have to agree with you about the scales not mattering. Listen to acdc and pink floyd. Gilmour and Angus play pentatonic scales mostly and sound nothing alike. Its called phrasing. Its funny when someone is like what scale does so and so use as if once they have this information they are going to pick up there guitar and play like them.

Every guitarist known to man - Chromatic Scale
marty friedman- basically everything with a slight preference to the three minor modes of the harmonic minor scale. he does pentatonics a lot of the time as well, but most people dont realize it, cause they're all amazed at his awesomeness
When in doubt, play pentatonics
I really love the chromatic scale...

I mean it has everything I want....right there...

Ok but.

I like just the natural minor scale as well as many other people

Also you'll notice the more you use the b3 b6 and b7 the more "minorish" It will sound.

I like using a minor pentatonic basically but sliding into some of the natural minor scales somtimes. It sounds cool lol.
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
Quote by fadetowhite
marty friedman- basically everything with a slight preference to the three minor modes of the harmonic minor scale. he does pentatonics a lot of the time as well, but most people dont realize it, cause they're all amazed at his awesomeness

Did you watch Melodic Control?
Quote by fadetowhite
Mr. Friedman doesn't use that many exotic scales. It's his unusual phrasing style that contains virtually no blues influence (very unusual for a guitarist in any subgenre of rock, including a lot of metal).
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Mr. Friedman doesn't use that many exotic scales. It's his unusual phrasing style that contains virtually no blues influence (very unusual for a guitarist in any subgenre of rock, including a lot of metal).

I bet he's talking about Dave Mustaine for the blues influenced solo's.
im quite interested to hear some more about the interval stuff you were talking about eg; the colours of the intervals. would that be possible? if not, where would i find that info?
Quote by podxtlive
im quite interested to hear some more about the interval stuff you were talking about eg; the colours of the intervals. would that be possible? if not, where would i find that info?
You really have to experiment with the most of them, which takes years. And alot of them change their colours with the chords underneath.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.