Hey Folks -

I have an opportunity to buy a 1976 Les Paul Custom. This thing is the cat's meow. It has the cherry sunburst finish, three pickups with no covers and an ebony fretboard. I'm pretty sure it had the (50's style?) fat neck - it was definitely thicker than my Les Paul Studio Faded. Not sure if there is a case for it or not. The thing weighed a ton! I probably should have gotten more specs but honestly, I wasn't sure whether to get wood or drool for the three minutes I played it without an amp...

So here's the rub: The guy is asking ONLY $1,900 for it because the headstock was snapped off. Supposedly, this isn't unheard of for a Gibson. The good news is that the guy selling it is the guy who repaired it. I know him and my guitar instructor knows him and there is no question that the guitar is as structurally sound as it ever was. He also does all of my setup work and takes care of my instructor's 1950 L7. Also, I'm sure I can get some sort handshake warranty on the repair.

So...

Is the broken headstock something that should make me not even consider it?

Should I make him a lower offer? How much?

Should I ask him to do the cosmetic work on the repair which would render it invisible? (He said he was thinking about doing it.)

Any other questions I should be asking?

Thanks!

P.S. For reference, here's a Les Paul Custom that going for $1,000 more: http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/760699880.html
Last edited by MrWannabe at Jul 24, 2008,
things to check:

Make sure the truss rod cover has 2 screws and not 3
Make sure the serial number was stamped on, and painted over, not stamped over paint
Ask him if you can check the wiring of the guitar, make sure everything looks in order.

Those are tips to make sure it is not a fake. I'm always iffy on broken headstocks.
I'm not saying the guy is selling you a fake guitar on purpose, some people don't know that their guitars are fake.

If it is the real Mccoy, and you like it, by all means, get it.
Hey Explorer -

I appreciate the feedback. I will check the things you mentioned. However, the guy runs a guitar museum and he would not have a fake without knowing it. Also, he would have a HUGE amount of credibility at stake if he were ever to do something sketchy... I am 100% positive the guitar is exactly what he says it is.
Anyone else have any feedback on this? This is a major purchase for me so any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!
um that neck doesnt look like ebony...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom Horn
um that neck doesnt look like ebony...

It's just a reference picture to point out that LP Customs are being sold for $1000 more than the one I have a shot at. The description says ebony. Perhaps it needs oiling. I think all Customs have ebony fretboards...
that doesnt sound right mate,

spesh as he is telling you abour repairs and there are no pics of the work.

why use a reference pic of another guitar?

and yes, all customs have ebony fret boards and they are all darker than that

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
see if you can go a little lower than the price (simply because it HAS been repaired). Like 1500 or 1600. Either way, and older LP Custom is definitely (as you put it) the Cat's Meow. I'd go for it. Granted, the headstock did break, but that's actually kind of common of an LP if it's been heavily gigged with. If the former owner was a bedroom player, chances are the just threw it against a wall, but still, look at Buzz Osbourne of the Melvins; his main guitar has had the neck and headstock break to seperate pieces FIVE different times, yet it still plays as good and sounds as good after being repaired.
if it's a good repair it'll be fine.

The price is ok for a headstock repair. Not a steal, but not that high either.

If you like it buy it.
Quote by Tom Horn
that doesnt sound right mate,

spesh as he is telling you abour repairs and there are no pics of the work.

why use a reference pic of another guitar?

and yes, all customs have ebony fret boards and they are all darker than that

There are no pics because I saw the guitar in person at his shop.

As I said in an earlier post, I included the reerence to another ad to show that there are LP Customs going for #1,000 more than the one I have a shot at.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
see if you can go a little lower than the price (simply because it HAS been repaired). Like 1500 or 1600. Either way, and older LP Custom is definitely (as you put it) the Cat's Meow. I'd go for it. Granted, the headstock did break, but that's actually kind of common of an LP if it's been heavily gigged with. If the former owner was a bedroom player, chances are the just threw it against a wall, but still, look at Buzz Osbourne of the Melvins; his main guitar has had the neck and headstock break to seperate pieces FIVE different times, yet it still plays as good and sounds as good after being repaired.

I'm definitely thinking along the same lines of $1500 - $1600... If the guy knows how the headstock broke, he'll tell me. There is a possibility that he picked up cheap as-is already broken knowing that he had the facilities and expertise to repair it. This guy is extremely well known and there is no question that the repair has been made with the highest level of expertise and perfection.
You had me up until the part about the broken headstock! You're looking at the right LP model/year(s). A real sweet spot there IMHO. It's up to you. I myself wouldn't pay that much for damaged goods. Collector value hugely diminished, playability/durability come into question...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Storm Stenvold
~ http://www.guitarteacher.com
~ See It, Hear It, Play It!
~ Free Video Guitar Lessons, Jam Tracks + More!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If he did a quality repair job than it'll be just fine. The glued joint should be stronger than it was before the break, and if not abused it won't break in the same place again. If your buying it as a players instrument and not a collectors item than go for it.

/pics would be of help