My current set up:

Schecter Omen 6
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss Metal Zone
Boss Chorus ensemble
Drop C tuning, mostly

I play mostly metal, metalcore, hardcore, etc.

Parkway Drive, I Killed The Prom Queen, Killswitch Engage, and then a little alternative like Anberlin or some stuff like Saosin.

I want to get a more universal sound, I stopped scooping my mids about a week ago.

From memory- now its

Bass- 7
Middle- 6
Treble - 9

I think, I don't have experiance with setting that stuff up..but I'm more satisfied with the sound of my signal note riffs, but chord wise, and pretty much overall, I wanta improve my tone.

I know its better to use an amp's distortion than a pedal, because a pedal sometimes just..over does it. I'd like to, but my valvekings distortion..well it sucks

My tone just sounds a little cloudy and empty sometimes.

I was planning to save for a delay pedal, but what should I get to acheive a more defined, versatile, tighter tone. right now, because of the boss pedal, I can only achieve metal sound, not much else...

Should I get, instead of delay

A Celestion vintage 30
Turn my distortion pedal in for a tube screamer, or a metal muff
New guitar pickups

Or what?

I have no idea, my playings improving, I'm starting a serious band with friends and tones starting to become preeetty important.

Thanks guys.
Last edited by Coheed777 at Jul 24, 2008,
new pickups and an OD pedal could improve your tone.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by PopPunkPotHead
string guage could be a factor

I play with .10 gauge strings, and if anyones wondering I have my guitar set up for drop C, intonation and such.
the metal muff would be a good place to start. but lot's of folks here say they are getting a good metal tone with a tubescreamer.
Quote by Coheed777
I play with .10 gauge strings, and if anyones wondering I have my guitar set up for drop C, intonation and such.

i usually prefer something heavier for drop c, or else things get floppy i find. maybe try some 11-52's
Quote by Coheed777

you NEED heavier strings than 10s to do drop C. you can look for a high to low set with heavy strings on the low end but 10s on the top end. if you just want to go heavier, get 12s maybe.
Quote by mikeyElite
i usually prefer something heavier for drop c, or else things get floppy i find. maybe try some 11-52's

Really? I might try that then. Even though I'd have to re intonate it, which was a BITCH. The G string along took half an hour, that little evil f*cker.

Well, I thought about it for a second.

EMGs/ Seymour Duncans - 300-400 dollars.

Pickup installation- 200

Thats 500-600 dollars, I might as well just buy a new guitar instead of so pickups..

so it comes down to a new speaker, a different pedal, and trying for a different gauge.
Quote by Coheed777
Really? I might try that then. Even though I'd have to re intonate it, which was a BITCH. The G string along took half an hour, that little evil f*cker.

Well, I thought about it for a second.

EMGs/ Seymour Duncans - 300-400 dollars.

Pickup installation- 200

Thats 500-600 dollars, I might as well just buy a new guitar instead of so pickups..

so it comes down to a new speaker, a different pedal, and trying for a different gauge.

300-400 for pickups ? are you in Australia ?
Install the pickups yourself. It's not one of the harder mods.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
10's are way to light even my 11's feel to light in drop c

Get a OD pedal and loose the Distortion pedal

Setting wise, your still scooping your mids with your current settings. try tre 4.5-5.5 mid 7-8 bass 6-7... See what that sounds like and tweak as you see fit but keep those mids up.
Bass: 10
Treble: 6.5
Mid: 4
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Quote by mikeyElite
300-400 for pickups ? are you in Australia ?

Nah. I'm just stupid, I just checked GC's site.

200 for a set, or 200ish, sorry, I just pulled those numbers from memory.

Ok looks like I'll be going up in string sizes, possibly getting new pickups sense theyre not half as expensive as I thought..worried about installing em though, I'm terrible with that kind of stuff, aaand I'm only 14 SO if I screw up. Theres not another chance till I get myself a job, haha.

So, enlighten me on the OD pedal guys.
Whats the difference between a OD pedal and a distortion pedal?
what would a good OD pedal be, that can handle indie/alternative, but can also handle metal very well?

And by the way, thank you so much for helping me out. everyone

I have one cable, don't know what brand it is, but it doesn't feel cheaply made at all if you know what I mean, then I have a monster brand cable.
Quote by Coheed777
Nah. I'm just stupid, I just checked GC's site.

200 for a set, or 200ish, sorry, I just pulled those numbers from memory.

Ok looks like I'll be going up in string sizes, possibly getting new pickups sense theyre not half as expensive as I thought..worried about installing em though, I'm terrible with that kind of stuff, aaand I'm only 14 SO if I screw up. Theres not another chance till I get myself a job, haha.

So, enlighten me on the OD pedal guys.
Whats the difference between a OD pedal and a distortion pedal?
what would a good OD pedal be, that can handle indie/alternative, but can also handle metal very well?

And by the way, thank you so much for helping me out. everyone

I have one cable, don't know what brand it is, but it doesn't feel cheaply made at all if you know what I mean, then I have a monster brand cable.

i would start by upgrading your bridge pickup. a good bridge pickup can be had for $70-$80. then an OD like the bad monkey or ts-9. oh and new strings too
OD pedal, speaker swap, EQ pedal

make sure the mids on the amp is 10
the VK lacks mids so cmpensate by cranking them.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
ok, thanks everyone.

I think I'll get a new speaker, a OD pedal.

Change my string gauges, turn the metal zone in for some cash.
And get a bridge pickup like that guy reccomended, can I put an EMG/Seymour Duncan with my stock pickup? or will it just completely screw up the sound.
Quote by Coheed777
ok, thanks everyone.

I think I'll get a new speaker, a OD pedal.

Change my string gauges, turn the metal zone in for some cash.
And get a bridge pickup like that guy reccomended, can I put an EMG/Seymour Duncan with my stock pickup? or will it just completely screw up the sound.

you can put a passive pickup in with your stock one, but not an active. if you're looking to go active its going to take some work, id suggest just getting a passive duncan or dimarzio or something.
celestion vintage 30s are a no no. buy g12-vt? or something like that there called. idk the name off the bat. but them are sick metal speakers
distortions muddy your tone more than overdrives do, but can get dirtier easier
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by conguitar15063
celestion vintage 30s are a no no. buy g12-vt? or something like that there called. idk the name off the bat. but them are sick metal speakers

What are you talking about?? V30s would be perfect for the type of music that he's playing!
I have a VK112
I have a Bad Monkey OD (level 10, gain 0)
I have a passive Duncan Custom Custom
Bass: 8, Mid: 6, Treb: 7

I don't play what you play but those ^ are good suggestions.

I've also found that if I patch the effects loop with a cable and put a dummy jack in Insert jack 1 and guitar in Insert jack 2 I get a nice gained up, less muddy tone.

Good luck.

Edit: sheez i just got caught up in another old thread. oh well, maybe TS will see it.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 24, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
sheez i just got caught up in another old thread. oh well, maybe TS will see it.

Yea, same here - who keeps bringing all of these old, dead threads back to life!?
I'm suprised no one said get a new amp. ye get a new amp like a 6505 or other high gain amp and for now use my vk plugging a chord into the effects loop together trick.
Quote by inbloom27
you NEED heavier strings than 10s to do drop C. you can look for a high to low set with heavy strings on the low end but 10s on the top end. if you just want to go heavier, get 12s maybe.
No you don't. I use 10-50 and my guitar is setup for Drop C and it works great. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't post.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Yea, same here - who keeps bringing all of these old, dead threads back to life!?

For realz

In any case, *reported*