Page 1 of 2
Is Canadian music appreciated worldwide? I'm not talking about huge Canadian artists like Rush and Neil Young, I'm talking about the smaller ones.

Has anyone outside of Canada heard of artists like Sam Roberts, Bobnoxious, Todd Kerns, Bedouin Soundclash, Our Lady Peace, Shad K, Classified or Crash Parallel?

Personally, I believe Shad is the most talented and original of all of these. He's from my hometown, so I've seen him perform and met him several times. Most laid back down to earth guy you will ever meet. He's just recently started to get some exposure on Much Music.

The thing that really makes him original and talented is that he plays guitar WHILE he raps some of the funniest, cleverest lyrics you will ever hear. Here's a little sample.

Shad concocts plots and perfects clever scams
You couldn't find a Better Man in an Eddie Vedder jam
Plus, my skills and sound thrills the crowd
I could fill my mouth with Prozac pills and I'd still get down
MC's need to stop taking their chances
Why scrap when you know my arm's stronger than Lance's
When I utter these suttleties, brother please
I'm the biggest thing outta Canada since Pamela's double d's.
I heard that fame's a killer that can murder great Princes
Like Kurt Cobain singing Purple Rain from a distance
But man, I'll never match that, who in the world can?
Most rappers can't Even Flow like Pearl Jam.
People think they got it but don't know what's in store
They're just hard headed like Mount Rushmore.

If you wanna see a live song, go to this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7kLiLPHk3I&feature=related

Enjoy
Nope.

I'm Canadian and I've only heard of 3 of the 7 bands you mentioned
e|----------5-------7-5h7p5---5--
B|-------5----8p5-------------8---8p5--
G|-5h6-----------------------------------7b9r--p5---5b--
D|-----------------------------------------------------7-----7-7~~~
It's sad for us, but its so true that American's generally produce better music than Canadians.
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
Apart from the big bands, the only Canadian band I'm aware of is Voivod.
i like protest the hero and alexisonfire if that counts

edit: to sixwingmortal
We make more good bands because we have a way higher population.
The more people, the better the chance of a good bands being produced from that area.
Call me Trey.
40 percent of the bands i like are canadians. i mean Broken social scene, Arcade fire, weakerthans, protest the hero, rush, The beatles, Skinny puppy, maple syrup
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
Bedouin Soundclash are my favourites. It's like Sublime meets Bob Marley. If you like either of those you'll love them. Some good songs to check out are

When the Night Feels my Song
Walls Fall Down
Nothing to Say
Living in Jungles
1259 Lullaby
St Andrews
40 percent of the bands i like are canadians. i mean Broken social scene, Arcade fire, weakerthans, protest the hero, rush, The beatles, Skinny puppy, maple syrup

did I miss the memo? Or are the Beatles not British =\
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Not that fucking shit again. We don't fucking say that .

HAHAHAHA south park! Good memories....
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Aspirations, Daggermouth, Living with Lions, Alexisonfire, Black Lungs, Cancer Bats, City and Colour, Carpenter, Broken Social Scene, Attack in Black, Classified, Shad, Comeback Kid, Crush Luther, Death From Above 1979, The Expos, Hostage Life, Moneen, Protest the Hero, The Reason, Risky Business, St. Alvia Cartel, Tokyo Police Club...

We've got a good band or two.
If Lifetime were Canadian, my life would be complete.
hug your local pug dealer!
Quote by SG6578

I have no idea what you are talking aboot...

I live inside Canada and I've only heard of Our Lady Peace TS.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
Quote by leftybassdude

the beatles were canadian?
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now with 20 percent more Allah!!!

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

that'd be slightly creepy if i didn't find it so amusing.
Quote by leftybassdude

Dude... the Beatles are definitely NOT Canadian.
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
Quote by SG6578

yea lol i was watching that this afternoon smoking at my friends house(we blaze and watch the south park movie every wednesday when theres no new espiodes of south park on) lol
Quote by sixwingmortal
Dude... the Beatles are definitely NOT Canadian.

I think he means the Canadian Beatles.

AKA Sam Roberts Band
I know quite a few Canadian Metal bands. Into Eternity, Protest the Hero, Beneath the Massacre, Despised Icon, Ion Dissonance, Strapping young lad, Cryptopsy, etc. but almost every metalhead has heard of those...
Bobnoxious must be the worst band I've see. Pure ****.

Greatest Canadian bands Rush and The Tragically Hip.
kataklysm is Canadian I think. Also, as an Albertan i would like to sincerely apologize to the rest of UG for Nickleback.
Yea, we have some very talented musicians but our major music exports are complete trash aka. Nickleback, Theory of a Deadman, marianas trench The Trews etc.

The Tragically Hip are legends but an acquired taste. Rush also definite legends

Then there are Our Lady peace (meh...) and maybe some here have heard of I Mother Earth, f-ing great 90's band, i recommend it.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
On the list of things I look for in bands, their place of origin ranks about 1,392nd. I really couldn't give a flying fuck where they come from. I don't get people would single out a particular country to look for bands. Canada, just like every other country on Earth, probably has some good bands, and probably has some bad bands. The fact that their Canadian really is insignificant, to me anyway, as it is with American bands, British bands, etc.
I simply cannot take this god-awful place anymore. Goodbye to all the good people here. The rest can fuck off.

No mention of Billy Talent, Sum 41, Silverstein, or Three Days Grace. All great bands from Canada if you like catchy stuff that isn't metal or indie.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
How the hell is it that noone has mentioned Danko Jones? Awesome live act, perfect songs for us guitar noobs to learn I saw them together with Die Mannequin a couple of months ago (DJ is signed to a Swedish label), always a big treat
Sum 41 were my favourite band for years... but then the good guitarist left and now theyre generic pop punk again...

AMERICA! F*CK YEAH!
I'm from the UK and I know of Bedouin Soundclash. I have a few of their albums.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Not that fucking shit again. We don't fucking say that .

Calm down, eh?
i may be american, but I still say that you shouldn't develop those stereo-types
+++++++++++
Aalakazaam!+
+++++++++++
Quote by sixwingmortal
It's sad for us, but its so true that American's generally produce better music than Canadians.

They produce more, not particularly better. Think the only really,really bad canadian muscical acts are Nickelback,Simple Plan and Avril Lavigne(your welcome to add more, but the point is there isn't a whole lot). Now how many horrid American acts can you take out? including Mouseketers,Boy bands, Mainstream Rap, Pop-Punk etc. We have more good bands then bad really, they just aren't as popular.
Annihilator are pretty awesome.
LTD EC-400VF
Ibanez RG321MHRB
2005 Epiphone Vintage SG G400
MXR EVH Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DD-7
Korg Pitchblack
Marshall JVM215C
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Page 1 of 2