Page 1 of 3
Recently I had an argue concerning where punk came from - from the US or the UK. What do you think about it?

The one thing I am sure about - UK punk (old school) is the best!
Quote by mon_the_fraser
UK started it therefore we are the best. However the americans did what they usually do. Make it slightly different then claim they started it when in fact it's worse than it was before and they in fact didnt start it.

im american and i find that to be.....so true!!! But if theres one thing im sure of its that shred came from the US and thats all i care about.
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Afterwards, Han Solo said "Great shot kid, that was one in a million!"
I like both sides... UK had people like Crass, Flux, Discharge etc, but the US had people like Fugazi, Minor Threat, Born Against, Black Flag, etc... is a hard choice, though I tend to listen to more US than UK.
Like-father, like-son rebels bloated on korn, eminems and bizkits. Lord hear our prayer take back your Amy Grant mosh-crews and your fair-weather politics
Quote by mon_the_fraser
UK started it therefore we are the best. However the americans did what they usually do. Make it slightly different then claim they started it when in fact it's worse than it was before and they in fact didnt start it.

Punk was in the United States before the UK.

Looking at my collection, I have more US than UK but I can't say I have preference either way.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
US Punk is overall better. It had tons of really good stuff before becoming godawful in 1980-81. It started first and was good for longer.

The UK had a few good groups like the Pistols, the Damned, and Slaughter and the Dogs, but quickly got ruined by bandwagon groups like the Clash and 999, and then either became talentless street punk crap like the Exploited, or became synthy new wave sh*t.

EDIT: It's also worth mentioning that the UK punk scene was more of a failure because it retained a blues rock medium that it could have easily broken away from. Because the American punk styles were rooted in blues, it wasn't as easy for them to do.
Brian, Brian, Brian.

Punk didn't become godawful in 1980. It became godawesome.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by axeslash
Punk didn't become godawful in 1980. It became godawesome.

Name me one good band after 1980.

Exactly.
Quote by lavazza
Cold Megan

You kind of got yourself there, Brian.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
OK... the US invented it. I hate American imperialism as much as anyone else but we invented it... give it up England... just cos you lost an empire doesn't mean you have to hate on ours...

Here's what's up; the term "punk rock" was coined in the 60's in the liner notes of the NUGGETS compilation (which if you don't have you should get by the way cos it's awesome) and it was played by American Garage Rock bands which have been going on since the late 50's when drunk dumb teenagers wanted to recreate rocknroll they heard on the radio... hence the awesome Tacoma, WA garage rock scene in the early 60's (THE KINGSMEN, THE SONICS and a bunch of others that I can't think of right now but if JohnnyNemo was here he could help me). Now the UK DID however give punk rock it's look and politics... although black flag had alot to do with the aesthetic, it's not the UK as a whole though... just CRASS... and I don't know if they technically identify being a citizen of any nation but rather just a collective of like minded humans... but that's waaay too technical.

But seriously today the best punk rock bands come from Japan, SE Asia, USA and Scandinavia. I'm not knocking the contributions of other countries by any means just these places seem to be producing the best punk rock right now. I would love for there to be this awesome hidden punk rock scene in India that I don't know anything about and it come out and surprise me... but so far it ain't happening.

The UK has some good bands; GORDON GANO'S ARMY, THE ****TY LIMITS to name a couple but for the most part I just can't get into alot of UK punk rock. Ireland is the same for me too. I like THE FRIGITS alot and that whole Dublin DIY scene that's starting up but for the most part I'm not to crazy about it.

Punk in Europe is pretty different anyways, I was at a show and they had super nice rockstar lights and there's always a bar at the show so people aren't just walking around with halfcases of beer... **** they don't even sell half-cases of beers here in Vicenza.

Also does the UK have THE BANANAS? Didn't think so... we win.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Quote by whitecl0ver
ahh punk sucks no matter where it came from...
Way to be original.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
US Punk is overall better. It had tons of really good stuff before becoming godawful in 1980-81. It started first and was good for longer.

The UK had a few good groups like the Pistols, the Damned, and Slaughter and the Dogs, but quickly got ruined by bandwagon groups like the Clash and 999, and then either became talentless street punk crap like the Exploited, or became synthy new wave sh*t.

Pretty much sums up how I feel. In terms of punk, I like very little from England, and like a good deal from the United States. The England scene was just angrier and more masculine, which doesn't really appeal to me.
DOWN&OUT
Quote by whyvern
Punk in Europe is pretty different anyways, I was at a show and they had super nice rockstar lights and there's always a bar at the show so people aren't just walking around with halfcases of beer... **** they don't even sell half-cases of beers here in Vicenza.

in Europe there are always lights and a bar, because when we start a show in our garden or cellar here we are accused by our philistine neighbours, that´s why there are less shows and when there are shows you play at a youth house or a pub, so you can get lights etc. easily. If you want to have these little shows in europe, I think in the Ruhr area there are some from time to time, at least an Oi Polloi show I was at was liek that.

Quote by Jett Diamond
The England scene was just angrier and more masculine, which doesn't really appeal to me.

Sick of it all, Madball, Agnostic Front, Cro Mags......if you say testosteron, they´re your models (don´t say they´re hardcore if you don´t say hardcore=punk then there was no punk in the USA during the 1980s)
Last edited by lavazza at Jul 24, 2008,
Quote by lavazza
in Europe there are always lights and a bar, because when we start a show in our garden or cellar here we are accused by our philistine neighbours, that´s why there are less shows and when there are shows you play at a youth house or a pub, so you can get lights etc. easily. If you want to have these little shows in europe, I think in the Ruhr area there are some from time to time, at least an Oi Polloi show I was at was liek that.

From what I've been told in Italy at least, shows usually happen in Old Industrial areas cos no one will complain and the rent is cheap as hell... there's squats in the bigger cities and those are sort of like American house shows but if the house had a bar and food. I don't know what punk is like in Germany though. In Russia shows are secret and you have to be in the know to get in because alot of skinheads come to shows looking to beat up and kill punks... scary stuff!
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Quote by whyvern
From what I've been told in Italy at least, shows usually happen in Old Industrial areas cos no one will complain and the rent is cheap as hell... there's squats in the bigger cities and those are sort of like American house shows but if the house had a bar and food. I don't know what punk is like in Germany though. In Russia shows are secret and you have to be in the know to get in because alot of skinheads come to shows looking to beat up and kill punks... scary stuff!

ok then it´s similar to Italy in Germany, from time to time you hear about squats in cities and some moths late you hear they sued the squatters and now they try to get the money for the process.
I don´t know anything about Russia, but the news you hear from Russia (in reliable media) there are lots of people who are really racist against people from other GUS states than Russia and so there might also be right skins against punks.
Quote by lavazza

Sick of it all, Madball, Agnostic Front, Cro Mags......if you say testosteron, they´re your models (don´t say they´re hardcore if you don´t say hardcore=punk then there was no punk in the USA during the 1980s)

I don't listen to much punk at all that came after 1979, which includes the majority of hardcore, so I don't really care if American hardcore was more jockish than UK during that time. Not to mention that the UK scene introduced the foundations of that mentality.
DOWN&OUT
Punk started in the US in the early nineties with early pioneering bands like Green Day and Blink-182. Soon, the highly influential punk rock band Good Charlotte came along and brought the spiked hair, tattoos and piercings look to punk. Now, the punk scene thrives on both sides of the atlantic with Bullet for my Valentine in the UK and Chiodos and MCR in the US.
two and a half men.
Quote by Cameronrobson
Punk started in the US in the early nineties with early pioneering bands like Green Day and Blink-182. Soon, the highly influential punk rock band Good Charlotte came along and brought the spiked hair, tattoos and piercings look to punk. Now, the punk scene thrives on both sides of the atlantic with Bullet for my Valentine in the UK and Chiodos and MCR in the US.

You forgot about FOB you ignorant prick
i never liked the first wave of punk. Which correct me if im wrong was mainly british.
UK has bands like exploited and rudimentary peni yet america has bands like Dead kennedys and The misfits
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
i never liked the first wave of punk. Which correct me if im wrong was mainly british.
UK has bands like exploited and rudimentary peni yet america has bands like Dead kennedys and The misfits

corrected......first wave was american: Stooges, Ramones, MC5
Quote by lavazza
You forgot about FOB you ignorant prick

yes i am soo sorry. Fall out boy are pioneers of the punk sub-genre called " emo " created in the early 2000s by Dashboard confessional and has nothing to do with Guy Picciotto ( who the **** is that anyways ? ).
two and a half men.
Quote by Jett Diamond
Pretty much sums up how I feel. In terms of punk, I like very little from England, and like a good deal from the United States. The England scene was just angrier and more masculine, which doesn't really appeal to me.

+1

Quote by axeslash

You kind of got yourself there, Brian.

Sure I did, except for the facts that

A.) Cold Megan aren't really a band

and

B.) Cold Megan aren't really punk.

and

C.) Cold Megan aren't good, we're f*cking awesome. So there aren't any good bands, because there's Cold Megan and a load of other bands that can suck on my impressive phallus

D.) I came up with 3 reasons why you're wrong, so by rights you should suck my impressive phallus too.
Quote by lavazza
corrected......first wave was american: Stooges, Ramones, MC5

i thought the stooges and MC5 were called pre punk or something. Either way it doesn't actually matter. I dont really like any of the earlier punk bands (that i have heard).
Quote by BrianApocalypse
D.) I came up with 3 reasons why you're wrong, so by rights you should suck my impressive phallus too.

A.)You ARE Cold Megan so I want an evidence of yourself sucking your phallus

b.) Your phallus isn´t impressive......maybe average......for a pygmie
I personally prefer UK punk. I like early US proto-punk etc. (apart from all the trendy indie kid audience) but not much american punk appeals to me at all.

I just do.
Quote by mon_the_fraser

I don't know how you could think that. What about The Ramones and Richard Hell?
I listen to more American bands than UK bands, but I don't really care where the bands come from. As long as the music is good I'll listen to it.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by werty22
I don't know how you could think that. What about The Ramones and Richard Hell?

My last room mate thought The Ramones were British and didn't believe me when I told her that they were from Queens until she looked it up for herself. Sweet girl though.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
Last edited by CowsWithGuns at Jul 24, 2008,
Quote by lavazza
A.)You ARE Cold Megan so I want an evidence of yourself sucking your phallus

b.) Your phallus isn´t impressive......maybe average......for a pygmie

A.) I can only just lick it, and certanly can't auto deep throat.

B.) My phallus SO is impressive. It's like a pint glass.
I don't really look much into the history of punk, for the most part I just listen to the music I like and keep it like that, but from what I've seen alot of North American bands (give some credit to us Canadians ...) brought the structure & the sound that is now seen in punk, and european bands brought the attitude, the mentality, and political opinions.
Page 1 of 3