My friend got a new acoustic, and hand-me-down'd me his old one, which is still pretty nice. It's a Martin, and he says it cost him $600, though I got it for free from him. The catch being that it has a wound - the body of the guitar has a crack where the side meets the face, as seen below. It appears he attempted to user super glue to close the gap. What recommendation do you guys suggest to potentially remove his damage(?) and/or to fix this?

Grr. Just tried getting pictures up...but their quality is a joke. I hope my description is enough. Thanks in advance.

Note: there is part that is sealed by super glue, and part that is open slightly, 1/16th-1/8th of an inch. I'm unsure of how to deal with either issue.
"There's a fine line between child abuse and discipline. Take my dad for example; when I screwed up, my dad would electrocute me. And look at me today: flawless. Electrocution builds character." - Maddox
Here are the photos, although I'm afraid they'll be of little help due to their quality.

"There's a fine line between child abuse and discipline. Take my dad for example; when I screwed up, my dad would electrocute me. And look at me today: flawless. Electrocution builds character." - Maddox
Can't see much from those pictures. What did you take them with?

Just curious, what model guitar is this?
Very tough to see much from the photos, but it looks like the top has lifted from the side join. Meaning the top itself is not cracked [?]

First take off the strings so there is no stress on the sound-board. With a razor box cutter or hard backed razor blade, I would very carefully try to cut [don't pry up or down whatever you do] where the super glue is and scrap off any remaining glue from the top of the side and under the top edge so you have clean surfaces. Try not to cut into the wood itself!

Guitar glue is [usually] animal hide glue. It's used so that if anything needs to be removed for repairs or replacement, it can be [with carefully used steam mostly].

If you don't want to go to the trouble of getting hide glue use white wood-working glue [the waterproof one] for this small job.

You now need to get some glue onto both surfaces. I use a thin blade from some feeler gauges with hide glue, but using wood-working glue, you could hold a damp rag on the inside of the body and squeeze the glue directly into and along the crack moving the damp rag along from the inside where your gluing from the outside [the rag stops the glue going everywhere inside].

Now you need to clamp the top with the side. An easy way is to lay the guitar on a blanket on a flat surface and use a few magazines with a brick or something reasonably heavy [not too heavy] on top of the edge of the sound-board [make sure there is not glue on the top of the sound-board first as you don't want to end up with a mag. or book stuck to your sound-hole!]. Now remove any excess glue from the outside of join with a damp rag as some will squeeze out when you have the guitar clamped. Make sure it's all off as you don't want any film of glue on the guitar when it's dried.

Leave for 24hrs and you should have a good repair.
Last edited by Akabilk at Jul 24, 2008,
Thanks Akabilk, your advice sounds like the best, I'm gonna go with it.

And surprisingly, I took the pictures with a 6.0 megapixel camera. It's just old.

I'll keep you posted on results and/or troubles I run into.

Thanks again! =)