Page 1 of 2
You guys convinced me to skip getting a nice pedal for my fm 212r and save up for a tube amp. I am looking for anything from $300 to $800. I play classic rock sounding stuff or just light distortion stuff, so a high gain amp is not needed. I know i don't NEED a half stack, but just for the fun of it can you recommend me some in that price range to try out along with the combos.

(Oh and by the way I gig so its gotta be at least 30+ watts.)

And i use a les paul
Gear

Epiphone les paul Standard (sunburst)

Crate Vintage Club 50

Ibanez TS9 (Turbo Version?)

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Jul 24, 2008,
Well the thing is I'm not REALLY looking for another combo because I already have a big ass combo. I've been looking at the Peavey Windsor half stack, and it looks like it has some pretty good stuff on it. Do you think that or a vox Valvetronix AD100VTH and V412BK Half Stack would be a better choice?
Gear

Crate Vintage Club 50

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
are you looking to play live/in a band? if so, no.

cheap solid state halfstacks will not cut it in terms of tone. if you want a stack configuration, but not the burden of a lot of weight, look into tube heads and decent 2x12 cabs.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
how about a tiny terror and cab?
Gear
Fender MIA Stratocaster (Sunburst)
Vox AC4TV
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yahama FG730S
I am starting a new job now that I am old enough to work and that thread I made on the pedal was kind of a temporary thing to fix having a ss.

When I said I didn't really want a combo again cause i have a ss one, I mean that I could travel from band practice with that, and use the stack during some of my FEW gigs.

I'll probably end up getting a combo BUT I still am going to try it against the windsor.
Gear

Crate Vintage Club 50

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
how much is a decent 2x12 cab?
Gear

Crate Vintage Club 50

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
Quote by Rockerdude135
I am looking for anything from $300 to $800. I play classic rock sounding stuff or just light distortion stuff, so a high gain amp is not needed. I know i don't NEED a half stack, but just for the fun of it can you recommend me some in that price range to try out along with the combos.

In your price range, you should be getting a combo. The Windsor's a decent head, but the cleans are severely lacking and the cab is total crap. You'd be a lot better off with a Classic 30 head and an Avatar 2x12 (Peavey speakers -in general- are pretty lame).

But get a combo, and your options are wide open. Traynor YCV 40 or 50, Fender Blues Deluxe or DeVille, Peavey Classic 30, 50, or Delta Blues.

Take that same budget to the used market (your best bet), and you could get a higher end Fender like a Bassman or Twin, or a Vox AC30.

Don't fall for the stack.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
In your price range, you should be getting a combo. The Windsor's a decent head, but the cleans are severely lacking and the cab is total crap. You'd be a lot better off with a Classic 30 head and an Avatar 2x12 (Peavey speakers -in general- are pretty lame).

But get a combo, and your options are wide open. Traynor YCV 40 or 50, Fender Blues Deluxe or DeVille, Peavey Classic 30, 50, or Delta Blues.

Take that same budget to the used market (your best bet), and you could get a higher end Fender like a Bassman or Twin, or a Vox AC30.

Slats: knows his tone.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
All right...what do you think is the BEST 30+watts amp for about 500-600. Or you could recommend an amp head around that price and I could eventually save for it.
Gear

Crate Vintage Club 50

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
Quote by Rockerdude135
All right...what do you think is the BEST 30+watts amp for about 500-600. Or you could recommend an amp head around that price and I could eventually save for it.

used or new
Gear

Crate Vintage Club 50

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
I think a Traynor YVC50BLUE used would fit the bill, probably.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
I think a Traynor YVC50BLUE used would fit the bill, probably.

Well if I'm gonna get a combo, I don't really want to spend that much on a combo alone if I can already get a good combo for cheaper.
Gear

Crate Vintage Club 50

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
^So you don't want the best amp for your money? Used Traynors are excellent value.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I forgot about used. How much do you think it would go for on average?
Gear

Crate Vintage Club 50

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
^Should fit into your $500-$600 budget, but I haven't looked in a while. Scour ebay and craigslist.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
ya I'll probably check that one out along with the classic 30.
Gear

Crate Vintage Club 50

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
Classic 30s will fall more into the $300-400 range. Try them out, though, before you decide.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by UnsignedRecords

+1

i think the peavey comes as a head version, so may be worth considering.

Quote by slatsmania

agreed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Has nobody told you to sell your POS FM212 yet?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Threadstarter: Sell your POS FM212!

^Now they have.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Threadstarter: Sell your POS FM212!

^Now they have.
Good advice is good.

And +1 to slats and jon.

No halfstack. Just no. No quarterstack. No. Combo? Yes. A 30w 1X12 tube combo is perfectly sufficient. I've never needed more than 15w for any gig i've ever done. For some I could've managed with my 5w VJr combo.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Traynor-YCV50BLUE-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Traynor-ycv-50_W0QQitemZ110257034363QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Do it faggot!

I got mine from this guy. He's 150 cheaper than MF. Sent it right to me door, within the alotted shipping time.

Oh yeah, a rule of halfstacks.
Never settle for less tone in order to get a halfstack.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
This is an "all-star" thread. Great recs. +20 to the better part of it. Listing names is pointless if the TS doesn't get it yet...
^^I would image still in the $300 to $400 range. You may as well buy the combo, as you'd be wasting money on a cab. By the time you get that head used and a crappy cab, you could've just gotten the Traynor YCV50, which is a better amp.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Whats wrong with the classic 30 head!!

If you recomended it as a combo, it must sound either as good or better as a head and its really not much more expensive than the combo, and I'm willing to save up for it.
Gear

Crate Vintage Club 50

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
You don't see them used that often. Get a combo. $300-$350 all day long...
Edit, YCV50 Blue, $400 ish... and worth it...
Why the hell are you being so stubborn in asking for a head? The head sounds the same, but you must subsequently buy a cabinet. Why bother? Get a used combo, upgrade the speaker and you're laughing and it'll probably sound better - for the price of the head with a crap cab.

There's no point getting the head. None at all. Cabinets make a huge difference, you seriously would be better off with the combo - it's cheaper, more portable, logically the better choice. You don't need a stack. It's just idiotic.
Nothing is wrong with it, but you have to pay nearly the same price, then buy a cab. It's not as good value. You may as well get a better combo for the money.

EDIT: ^How come whenever I post at the same time as someone, I never win?

Good advice, though.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Well my parents like to be strict with what I'm allowed to buy, so if I tryed to buy ANOTHER big ass combo, they would immediatly say I can't "waste" my money! At least with a stack they wouldn't mind because I don't already own one.

And by the way, someone mentioned avatar speakers in an earlier post. What is a specific model that would go good with a classic 30.
Gear

Crate Vintage Club 50

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
A stack is going to be bigger than a "big ass combo," and if you'll just sell your current amp to upgrade, then you won't have an amp to worry about. I guarantee you they'll find that a combo is a more reasonable purchase than a stack if you use the logic that we've provided in here. It's a space saver and a money saver.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Tell mom and dad you plan on selling the other amps because you won't ever need them... Explain to them the details, they are adults with some common sense right?
Quote by Rockerdude135
Well my parents like to be strict with what I'm allowed to buy, so if I tryed to buy ANOTHER big ass combo, they would immediatly say I can't "waste" my money! At least with a stack they wouldn't mind because I don't already own one.

And by the way, someone mentioned avatar speakers in an earlier post. What is a specific model that would go good with a classic 30.
No, because you can sell the fartbox Fender.

Anyway the combo is gonna be smaller than a stack, idiot. Think about it - 1x12 combo vs. a head and 2x12 cab.

Stop being so stubborn.
Ya. I could try that...where should I try and sell it??? I have sold stuff on ebay before but is there anything better for music gear?
Gear

Crate Vintage Club 50

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
Craigslist could work well. If not that, ebay. You could also sell it at a local music shop, in return for them receiving a percentage of the profit.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by MrCarrot
Has nobody told you to sell your POS FM212 yet?

Ha.

I did in his other thread last night and he told me that would be a No No.

Rockerdude, I see you are now back on the Classic 30.

PS. I did a clip with the FM (Fartman) and Bad Monkey last night anyway.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 24, 2008,
Page 1 of 2