okay so im at a crossroads here my older brother can make guitars and amps and is willing to make ame a marshall JTM 45 clone for $800 never haveing played one i dunnow hat to do but from what i hear it will cover most of my music taste liek allman brothers govt mule cream hendrix ect... but i played a peavy classic 30 today witch was kick ass and got a tone i liked and could get more gain for some of the other stuff i like (coheed and cambria,GNR,ect...) as well as the lower gain like cream and hendrix so what do yall think i should do? because i dont wanna get one and regeret not getting the other...
Well to me a JTM sounds like a bad idea. It would do your music, yes, but there's one problem: It will only do it when CRANKED. And when it's cranked it's EXTREMLY loud! A Classic 30 with a new speaker (Celestion G12-H30 sounds like a good idea) is a great choice!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
you know, maybe somethings wrong with my JTM45, but i can crank it what i play to the point where it doesnt get any louder. Yeah, its loud, but not unbearable.

That said, unless you can crank it where you play, get the Peavey.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by igotabcrich32
you know, maybe somethings wrong with my JTM45, but i can crank it what i play to the point where it doesnt get any louder. Yeah, its loud, but not unbearable.

That said, unless you can crank it where you play, get the Peavey.

I've found that when it hits 5, it stops getting louder and just gets more saturated.

I don't think its uncommon, I know 50 watt JMPs will literally max out in terms of volume by the time you hit 2-3.

To the TS:

In my opinion (but I'm biased towards vintage Marshalls) the JTM45 is a far superior amplifier to the Classic 30 (its the holy grail of Marshalls) but it is not right for some people, and it really needs to be played to get a real feel for it. It does not have a master volume and does need to be cranked to get any real overdrive and will need to be dimed to get the type of gain you need for more modern artists. Also, adding a PPIMV is not a big issue, a very simple and reversible mod, its fairly easily, although it sounds pretty bad if you're trying to bring the volume down to bedroom levels, it works great if you're only bringing it down 2-3 notches.

If you've never played one, here are some clips
http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?t=2977
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSmVcxG6SGA

That there is a pretty damn good sounding JTM 45

http://www.germinoamps.com/classic45.htm

There are more soundclips of another JTM 45, there are some great Clapton, AC/DC, Hendrix clips on the Germino site. (both of these are made by boutique clone builders, Germino and Metropoulos make JTM 45s that make Marshall reissues sound like toys)

If you have any other questions regarding the amp, feel free to PM me.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 25, 2008,
If he can make amps, surely he could add power scaling, a PPIMV, half power switch, or attenuator? A JTM45 with one of those options would be an excellent amp.