So it seems I'd had my acoustic's strings tuned down an octave for a while without my knowing it (since it still registered as the same notes on my tuner...). So today while restringing I found that out and got the strings back up an octave. Since the tension is much higher now and the guitar hasn't seen this kind of tension in a while, I just want to make sure....

Eyeballing with a regular ruler, it looks like fretboard to middle of low e string at the 12th fret is about 7/32". Does that seem...normal?
Gear:
Fender MIM HSS Stratocaster
Some random Yamaha acoustic
VOX amPlug AC30
how are you going to have it tuned down an octave too low and know know it? lol. Im sure its fine, and im not sure about the string height, but what could you do about it? You cant adjust the bridge on an acoustic (at least none ive seen).
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
There's no way it was an octave....your strings wouldn't even play. It was probably a third tops I would say. Which means the string tension won't be as noticeable a difference.
********May Truth and Good Music Prevail!********
It was definitely an octave, lol. I had the A string showing up as A on my tuner when I started, and it showed up as A when I ended, except higher in pitch. I brought the tuning up in about five steps or so (so the change wasn't so drastic).

Also, I compared with a tuner thingy I found on the internet. 2nd fret on the D string (E) matched what should have been my low E string. So yeah.

If you'd played it then, you'd probably believe me. Strings were pretty floppy compared to what they are now. haha...
Gear:
VOX amPlug AC30
What? You had it tuned down an octave and didn't notice?!?!

Surely you would hear that it wasn't the right octave?
well it sounded fine by itself (other than going out of tune all the time), but I didn't really have anything to compare it with. My ear sucks musically, so hearing other acoustics and comparing when I get home doesn't work. Neither does comparing to the piano (maybe if I squint my eyes real hard...... yeah I'm that bad at it)
Gear:
VOX amPlug AC30
Quote by platypus01
So it seems I'd had my acoustic's strings tuned down an octave for a while without my knowing it (since it still registered as the same notes on my tuner...). So today while restringing I found that out and got the strings back up an octave. Since the tension is much higher now and the guitar hasn't seen this kind of tension in a while, I just want to make sure....

Eyeballing with a regular ruler, it looks like fretboard to middle of low e string at the 12th fret is about 7/32". Does that seem...normal?

You're measuring from the wrong places, but since you don't really have a fine enough ruler to do it properly, then that works. It seems a bit much, since that's nearly 1/4 inch. But, normally you'd be measuring from the crown of the fret to the bottom side of the strings, giving you a lesser measurment than you said of 7/32nds.
So all things aside, yes, that seems close to normal. Remember, acoustics need to have higher action than electrics do because of the heavier gauges strings on them.
For future reference with the tuning issue, why don't you buy one of the Signature Series magazines for some band/artist you like? They come with a cd and there's always a bit on the cd for tuning up. You could just use the cd whenever you tune up and eliminate this problem in the future.
And lastly, no harm no foul on your part. The guitar will be just fine. Guitars have been found sitting in attics and whatnot for years without strings on them. Once strung up, the neck came right back in line. Since you already had strings on, just too low of tuning, there's truely no problem there.
Well I took the ruler to the guitar again, looks like top of 12th fret to bottom of strings is about 1/8", maybe a smidge more. This site says "Most factories choose 3/32" to be a good starting point for most flat top acoustic guitars. Though some aggressive strummers or bluegrass players will enjoy an action closer to 1/8", you will rarely find reason for it to be that high." hrmmmm......

Guess I'll go with it for now. It doesn't sound like it'll kill the guitar. (just my fingers haha) And I found an online tuner thing that sounds out the notes so I should be set.

Thanks for the response, now I'm not so scared of the neck cracking to pieces =p
Gear:
VOX amPlug AC30
a smidge over an 1/8" isn't terribly high, but yes it is a little high.
Hm ok. Do you think it'd be worth it to file down the bottom of the saddle a bit? Or should I take it to a shop for that?

I think I'm just gonna leave it for now, but I'd like to know...
Gear:
VOX amPlug AC30
I'd leave it for a while first. Let the neck settle into the new amount of tension. It will almost completely settle immediately, but I still like to let changes settle for a few days personally. After that you are going to want to check your neck angle and bow before you really do anything. If everything else is OK, then yeah I would probably take a little off the underside of the saddle next time you change strings.
Gotcha. Thanks for all the help everyone
Gear:
VOX amPlug AC30