Why do all my chord progs sound flat

I can come up a bunch of chords that go well together - I strum them but nothing from doing this sounds like the foundations of a song - instead it sounds like Im strumming and that these chords have been used millions of times by millions of people before..How do I get something fresh sounding from it. I normally ended up picking/ or picking some of the chords but lately all those riffs sound samey too. This may have something to do with my metronome actually though
practice

keep repeating them in diffirent strumming paterns

try something new

wait for good inspiration^^

that's how i made some songs up^^
Drum drum drum away!
Are you using ordinary chords? Try mix it up a little by using minors, diminished and sus4/9 chords. They may sound more interesting. Listen to songs you like the find out the chords being used.

Enjoy Yaself.
I know what you mean - sometimes it does seem like every chord progression you come up with has been used by someone else at sometime or other. But there are things you can do to make it more unique; try different melodies over the chords, whether vocal, bass, piano, strings, whatever - it can make it sound completely different - usually chords are just the very basics of a song. Then you could try adding new notes to the chords, different voiceings, positions, etc. Then you could try changing the rhythm or timing, 3 4 time signature is a simple but interesting alternative.

What I often do is try to form a melody around a nice chord progression by picking out some nice notes from the chord - then once I have the melody then everything else forms around it - one time I started with a chord progression in 4 4 and it ended up as being in 5 4.

There are so many things you can do to make the song yours, just keep trying different things. I thing the best thing I did was buy a capo, no idea why it helped but it did. Sometimes chords just sound better further up the neck, and then the idea clicks, everyone's different.
you could also try using unconventional voicings and inversions, which is really common in Jazz and can add a lot to your songwriting if done tastefully.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by dough boy
instead it sounds like Im strumming and that these chords have been used millions of times by millions of people before..How do I get something fresh sounding from it. I normally ended up picking/ or picking some of the chords but lately all those riffs sound samey too.
Chances are if the chords go well together you aren't the first person to put those chords together. Don't let that discourage you. Entire musical genre's can be built around a single chord progression. The Blues for example is mostly I IV V. Ye the genre is so expressive and full of life. It's about the rhythm and the feel you use to bring those progressions to life.
Quote by dough boy
This may have something to do with my metronome actually though
Sorry but I had a good chuckle over this line. A metronome just ticks away steadily. However saying this indicates to me it may be time to learn some new rhythms. A basic shuffle or some accented eights. You may be playing everything in straight eights with the metronome. Which can start to sound dry if you don't get creative. Try to start accenting different beats with your strumming and incorporate some rests. Don't be afraid of silence it can be great for creating tension. Use some dynamics in your playing too. Or if you stick with straight eights and link the chords with some bass runs or alternate between strumming chords and picking a quick melody every measure.

Just mix it up have fun and keep the metronome on - the worst habbit you can form is off timing.

Good Luck.
Si
even if the chord voicing are the common ones by them selves they will sound flat. to make a progression "unflat" i guess you should try changing the emphasis of certain beats, inflections, changing the rhythm of the chords, building up to a climax. even the most mundane of progressions can sound awesome if things like these are applied.
good luck
Quote by :-D
I go to college with mattrsg1; for what it's worth he is the best guitarist I have heard in person, and in particular stands out from others in my age group. You will not be disappointed, honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpCZpysf94
Quote by SlappyTheFish
I know what you mean - sometimes it does seem like every chord progression you come up with has been used by someone else at sometime or other. But there are things you can do to make it more unique; try different melodies over the chords, whether vocal, bass, piano, strings, whatever - it can make it sound completely different - usually chords are just the very basics of a song. Then you could try adding new notes to the chords, different voiceings, positions, etc. Then you could try changing the rhythm or timing, 3 4 time signature is a simple but interesting alternative.

What I often do is try to form a melody around a nice chord progression by picking out some nice notes from the chord - then once I have the melody then everything else forms around it - one time I started with a chord progression in 4 4 and it ended up as being in 5 4.

There are so many things you can do to make the song yours, just keep trying different things. I thing the best thing I did was buy a capo, no idea why it helped but it did. Sometimes chords just sound better further up the neck, and then the idea clicks, everyone's different.

Thanks man thats very good advice - Thank you
Thank you ALL! all very good advice - I will give the ideas a go

Thanks again