My band is getting to the stage that you can begin to do local gigs like at birthday parties and the like, but there's a problem that I've thought about. We're teens so our audience would probably be our age. But the teens down here (like alot of others) aren't exactly... Open minded. Like with some of our softer stuff and our songs that aren't about getting wasted, having sex, doing drugs, etc, wouldn't go over well with them. In fact most of them listen to rap rather than any form of rock. So my question is if anyone else has this same problem, what did you do to get around it? We certainly don't want to change our music style.
find those few that listen to your kind of music...I think girls especially...
In my town...theres not much people that listen to Punk Rock/Pop punk but we had like 100-150 people support on our first gig...it's about how to play...not what you play dude.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I know that, but the problem I had was that if there's only 20 people in the whole area that listen to the type of music we play, it won't matter what we play nor how because nobody would be listening.
As you play more gigs and you gain a name for yourself for the type of music you do, you'll find that you mainly attract the sort of crowd that are into that type of music anyway.

Quote by Mammy
I know that, but the problem I had was that if there's only 20 people in the whole area that listen to the type of music we play, it won't matter what we play nor how because nobody would be listening.

That would be 20 people 'of your own age' I'm guessing, so try to get gigs where you play to an older audience.
I realise this may not be just as simple as all that and that it's hard for teens to get gigs in places like bars, but there are gigs out there available to you that will place you in front of an older crowd that would probably more appreciate what you do.
The bottom line is, hard as it's going to be, stick with it. As you get older you will get more and more gigs that suit your style better than teen parties, and once your old enough to hit the bar circuit properly, you'll have gained enough gigging experience to hit the ground running and make a real impact on the scene.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 24, 2008,
find people
there will be someone somewhere thats willing to listen
even if its one person,just think,its 1 more person than before
My name is Vikki. Use it

We took the last train
Out of the city
To plan our great escape