I'm mediocre at guitar, but I've always been interested in playing the cello. Is the transition easy? Is it harder than playing the guitar?
A lot harder, But its worth it. The hardest part is finding the notes on the fingerboard as there arn't any frets and you have to go by feel/sound. After a couple of months though it gets alot better. Check out some Apocalyptica ( if you havent already )
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=eM4qMuhEgeA
it's a lot harder, but once you get moderately good it's so rewarding.
hello
^yeah, I love playing cello, but the only thing that really translates between it and guitar is callouses and strings.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
I'm a cellist too, it's a beautiful instrument, and I wouldn't say harder, just very different. They don't have a great deal in common, except that you're trying to make music with both! Go for it though! I'd get lessons, if I were you.
D
The transition will be VERY hard. Obviously, the fretless nature of a cello means you have to actually pay attention to your intonation. However, there is more margin for error than on, say, a violin, and it'll help develop a better sense of pitch. Secondly, since it's tuned in fifths, the scale shapes you've learned will be useless, and most scales will be unplayable without shifting(though some, like G and C, are relatively easy). Third, it's very rarely used as a chordal instrument, so expect something very different. I played from 6th grade through freshman year, which I'd kept going but I got dragged into marching band and kinda didn't have time.

EDIT: Totally forgot to mention. Bowing, though a simple enough concept, is actually pretty tough to get a hang of. The correct way to hold it will be pretty awkward at first, as will transitioning between strings, and getting an even sound, but good luck.
Last edited by grampastumpy at Jul 24, 2008,