hey..so,according to my previous thread,i was right and the scale with the many different boxes are all lined up one after another,starting from the first at the key...

but then,how am i able to solo down from lets say from the 12 fret down to the first few frets when the key is at the 12 fret? i mean,the scale only gets higher and not lower..so how am i able to solo back down?
Scales don't just go up and down in the box, they go left and right as well. For example, let's just take an E minor pentatonic-

---------------------------12------
--------------12---14-------------
-12----15------------------------

Those notes are- E, G, A, B, D and then back to E. These notes ae part of the scale, so you can play them anywhere on the fretboard, not just in your 'box' pattern. Does that make sense to you? Take the tapping part in Van Halen's Eruption, that's just following a scale up the neck.
Everything past the 12th fret is just an octave higher than everything before it. For example, pattern 2 for the "12th fret key" (which is E) for let's just say minor pentatonic, would start at the 15th fret on the low E:

D---------------------------14--17----
A--------------14--17-----------------
E---15--17----------------------------

This same pattern can be played just an octave, 12 frets, lower:

D----------------2--5----------
A---------2--5-----------------
E--3--5------------------------

I dunno if that answers your question...
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Here's an example
The root would be on the fifth fret on the E string, so you play the "fourth pattern" starting there. However, you could go down one "box" or "pattern" to the third pattern, which would start at the open E. Same with the twelfth fret. Let's say you're playing in E-minor, so the first pattern would be pattern four starting at the twelfth fret, but you could go down to pattern 3, 2, 1, and so forth.
lol..can someone make it easier to understand?

what i mean is...like for example the key of E..the twelve fret of the last string...i start from the root note of the scale,right? and keep flowing up with the boxes...

but,how does it go down? its really hard to understand..
why do you say flow up? as long as you start and end your solo on the root note, it doesnt really matter what direction you go. if you were an painter, you wouldnt use just a corner of your canvas. the whole fretboard is your canvas, so use all of it!
what i mean is,you start the whole scale with all the boxes from the key right?

then,all the frets before the key won't have any boxes of scales? how do i know which box fits where?
Learn the 3 not per-string diatonic modes. practice them up and down for a while. In a few weeks you will beable to solo in any key in any position, use relatice keys, and substitute modes for a different feel.
Sig What?
Each box fits into each other. In other words, the right edge of one box is the left edge of the next. So if you want to go down, the box you'll have to play on the lower frets will be adjacent to the box you start with. Sorry, I'm not good at explaining things. If you look at the diagram, the pattern that starts at the fifth fret of the E string would be the first box in the key, right? If you want to move down, you can just play the pattern that fits right into the box you started with, which would be the one that starts at the third fret of the E string (which would be pattern 3 in the minor pentatonic scale).

Okay, easier way to explain it: everything in that diagram is in the key of A minor. They are in five repeating patterns, or boxes. If you memorize the five patterns and know where at least one pattern is in the scale, you can move up and down from there.

Moving DOWN is exactly like moving UP except the OTHER WAY AROUND.

THE EASIEST THING TO DO IS PLOT OUT THE SCALES YOURSELF. TAKE, FOR EXAMPLE, THE KEY OF E MAJOR AND PLOT OUT THE PATTERNS ON PAPER. LOOK UP THE RIGHT PATTERNS IF YOU NEED TO (http://jguitar.com/scale?root=A&scale=Major+Pentatonic&fret=0&labels=none&notes=sharps). DO THIS AGAIN WITH ANOTHER KEY UNTIL YOU UNDERSTAND HOW THE PATTERNS FIT INTO EACH OTHER.

If this confuses you more, I'm sorry.
Quote by NoobOnZone
in reverse? so..right before the key note i play the last box?

Forget the boxes, they're not helping you learn the scale.

Learn the notes and intervals of the scale you're trying to learn and simply map them on to the fretboard....if you don't know the notes on the fretboard yet then you need to learn those first.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Forget the boxes, they're not helping you learn the scale.

Learn the notes and intervals of the scale you're trying to learn and simply map them on to the fretboard....if you don't know the notes on the fretboard yet then you need to learn those first.

err,do you have a picture of the whole fretboard with all the notes mapped out already? that'll really be helpful..
Quote by NoobOnZone
err,do you have a picture of the whole fretboard with all the notes mapped out already? that'll really be helpful..

You don't need the whole fretboard... just open-11. Once you hit the 12th fret everything just starts repeating because you are an octave up...

so...

0pen=12th fret
1=13
2=14
3=15
etc.
etc.
Quote by NoobOnZone
how do i know which box fits where?

Take a look at these diagrams. http://www.yellowguitarbooks.com/learn-to-play-guitar-THE-PRACTICING-GUITARIST/guitar-scale-fingering-diagrams.htm

Really useful. You know what 'box' fits where, if you know what scale you are playing. If you're playing let's say G minor pentonic, and you want to start on the 3rd fret sixth string, you use the E shape, then D shape, then C shape and so on.
If you're playing G major pentatonic, start on the 3rd fret string using the D shape, C shape and so on.
Learn your scales, learn the five positions, learn the root notes and you should be good.
Quote by NoobOnZone

No, it won't.

You're finding this confusing because you're focussing on the patterns rather than the notes they contain.

Learn all the notes on the fretboard, then learn the notes and intervals of your chosen scale and locate them on the fretboard...you'll discover the patterns for yourself that way. It'll take longer, but it will help you actually understand this a lot better.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com