so i was wondering, first of all, whether to buy a multi effects (zoom g2.1u) or save up more money and buy the individual effects for better sound quality?

and another question..what are the most important effects to have?

i have distortion (metal master), and ive been looking at wahs, flangers and delays. any others i need to look at?

PS. im hoping to get a digitech whammy soon as well.
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
what amp do you have? reverb to me is one of the HAVE to HAVE effects or a delay pedal since you already have a distortion pedal. the other pedals depend on the kind of music you play. i have found out that multi fx pedals do alot of things good but nothing great. but thats just my oppinion. it's really up to your ears. lots of people here like multi effects pedals.
a lot of people start out with a multi FX or a ton of pedals, but then realise they dont use them all.

not that this will definately apply to you, but you may well grow out of stuff like phasers and flangers

distortion/OD, wah, delay are the most commonly used. EQs are handy too
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
aha, i forgot about reverb. thanks mmjohn

and the reason im only looking at a few pedals is that i dont want a ton of them, so im leaving chorus out (because i dont play clean that much, and the flanger that im looking at (ibanez cf-7) is a chorus/flanger anyway..) and phasers, because ive heard they do similar things to the flanger.

the one im definitely getting soon is the wah wah (see my other thread in this forum about choosing a wah wah), and i think i do definitely want delay too.

my amp isnt worth talking about, some crap 10 watt yamaha, but it does the job for now. the reason ive got a dist. pedal is to modify that sound. and my budget is about £70 per pedal, nothing much more, because, as i said, im saving up for a digitech whammy too, to make some interesting bellamy-esque solos.

EDIT: i found an awesome-looking and hopefully sounding reverb pedal
the Electro Harmonix Holy Grail. any good?

Quote by cornmancer
Last edited by Hoodoo Child at Jul 24, 2008,
the holy grail is literally the holy grail of all reverbs... it is awesome and you'll love it.

for delay, I personally love the MXR Carcon Copy. its great for my soloing, and really delivers.

chorus pedals are nice if you play cleans.

also check out an OD. ts9 and the fulltone ocd are my favorites
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 (Feels good, man)
- 1960 Marshall AV Cab (Vintage 30s, Feels good, man)
- A shitty MIM strat
- Fulltone OCD (Jizztastic)
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Quote by Hirschberger
the holy grail is literally the holy grail of all reverbs... it is awesome and you'll love it.

for delay, I personally love the MXR Carcon Copy. its great for my soloing, and really delivers.

chorus pedals are nice if you play cleans.

also check out an OD. ts9 and the fulltone ocd are my favorites

aha thanks for the opinion, and im sure i will

and this is a really noob-like question, im sure, but whats the difference between a distortion and an OD pedal?

Quote by cornmancer
Distortion pedals just distort your sound. Overdrive pedals push your tubes harder to make them break up more, providing more gain and distortion as well as tube saturation. Don't get me wrong, though, an overdrive pedal isn't bad for tube longevity or anything. When I say "break up more" I mean the signal is made less clean.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
i think the question of 'which effects are most important to have' has some bearing on the type of music you play, listen too, wanna play and favorite artists....

...which is what?

i knew someone would ask that lol.

my range goes from green day to children of bodom, and everything in between. so bands like a7x, bullet, velvet revolver, system of a down, iron maiden, my chemical romance, muse, etc. (i listen to all of them too, btw, and a whole lot more).

favourite artists (guitarist wise): matt bellamy (lots of effects there), alexi laiho, dave murray, slash, steve vai.

want to play like: vai, bellamy and laiho mainly. (which is why i said im definitely getting the whammy for bellamy and vai).

Quote by cornmancer