Recently, I decided to try and learn this. Google used to be my friend, but it didn't come back with any good lessons. For you eight fingered tappers (or those who aren't, but know what to do), how would I go about learning this? Chromatics and scales?
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

I'd suggest learning some proggy acoustic stuff like Antione Dufour, Andy Mckee, Justin King, etc.

And I can't help as far as music theory goes. The way I do it is hammer on a bass line with my left hand, and play a riff with my right hand.
Quote by Matt Chavie
I'd suggest learning some proggy acoustic stuff like Antione Dufour, Andy Mckee, Justin King, etc.

And I can't help as far as music theory goes. The way I do it is hammer on a bass line with my left hand, and play a riff with my right hand.

1. I'll look into them.

2. Ah, I see what you are saying.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty

Good 8 fingered tappers:
Joe Satriani
Dave Martone
Buckethead
Chris Broderick
Stanley Jordan
Zack Kim

I have some basic advice as to the right hand in these two threads:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=913249
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=910274

And there are some songs and such to practice it with in here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=879853

My best advice for what to practice is to practice all of the exercises and such you'd do with your left hand and do them only with your right. Once you are comfortable playing basic stuff with your right hand, look into various songs utilizing 8 finger tapping and begin working on one.

I gave several players as you haven't stated whether you are looking for tapping using 8 fingers or true touchstyle guitar where you play independent lead and bass lines with your two hands. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
is touchstyle like chris broderick playing "rondo all turca"?
how should i practise playing that? i can play his (chris broderick) betcha can't play this riff (not up to speed but i can play it perfectly slow!)
Testament, Kreator, Vio-lence, Exodus

Thrash Metal
Quote by herman ri2
Look up Stanley Jordan.

He is the king of the touchsyle.

Fixed.

Quote by Metallica-EX50
is touchstyle like chris broderick playing "rondo all turca"?

Yeah, that's a pretty good example of touch style but you should also look up a guy called Adam Fulara and Standley Jordan's cover of Stairway To Heaven, those are also very good examples of the style.

As for practicing you should do anything that TheShred201 says; I can't really help but he really knows what he's talking about.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Joe Satriani's Midnight and Day at the Beach are some simpler places to start for this technique, if you want some practice songs.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Fixed.

Yeah, that's a pretty good example of touch style but you should also look up a guy called Adam Fulara and Standley Jordan's cover of Stairway To Heaven, those are also very good examples of the style.

As for practicing you should do anything that TheShred201 says; I can't really help but he really knows what he's talking about.

Don't forget Zack Kim, he does some cool stuff. For Stanley Jordan, I really liked a cover he did of Eleanor Rigby, but anything by him will be a good example. Also, look up stuff about warr guitars and chapman sticks. Almost anything played on them will be touch style. Actually, there's another guitarist that for some reason I can't think of the name of at the moment that has done some cool stuff

Thanks for the compliment too. To be honest, I'm still working on my touchstyle a lot, but it's something I know a lot about from experience. BY FAR the hardest part is getting the independence between your hands, which is something I still practice a lot, but over all I've practiced all the stuff to understand what you need to do for most of it. I'm planning on working on the tapping section of the FAQ, but before that, I have a lot more work on the sweeping section. All I have to say is that the stuff for the FAQ is going to be quite a bit more in depth than what I've posted in these threads (partly because I'll gradually be adding little video clips to help, and partly because it will cover from basic tapping to touch style and other multi finger stuff---10 finger tapping FTW!!!! Thumbs are really hard to use though. Something else I'm practicing.)
Quote by TheShred201
Don't forget Zack Kim, he does some cool stuff. For Stanley Jordan, I really liked a cover he did of Eleanor Rigby, but anything by him will be a good example. Also, look up stuff about warr guitars and chapman sticks. Almost anything played on them will be touch style. Actually, there's another guitarist that for some reason I can't think of the name of at the moment that has done some cool stuff

Thanks for the compliment too. To be honest, I'm still working on my touchstyle a lot, but it's something I know a lot about from experience. BY FAR the hardest part is getting the independence between your hands, which is something I still practice a lot, but over all I've practiced all the stuff to understand what you need to do for most of it. I'm planning on working on the tapping section of the FAQ, but before that, I have a lot more work on the sweeping section. All I have to say is that the stuff for the FAQ is going to be quite a bit more in depth than what I've posted in these threads (partly because I'll gradually be adding little video clips to help, and partly because it will cover from basic tapping to touch style and other multi finger stuff---10 finger tapping FTW!!!! Thumbs are really hard to use though. Something else I'm practicing.)

Quite frankly I hated Stanley Jordan's cover of Stairway but still; the man's got touchstyle chops out the ass and then some.

I have just had a thought though: I think Guthrie Govan has been known to do some multi-finger tapping licks, I know for a fact that he can because he touched on it very briefly in a feature in a magazine this month. Also another player I've seen use the technique (although not much, videos of him are hard to come by) is Joel Hoekstra; once again I'm not too sure how much success you'll have with finding his stuff or transcriptions thereof but he has been know to do it every so often.

On all matters "tapping" I'll gladly differ to you; you're light-years ahead of me, I'm still trying to get some double fingered tapping on the end of some of my sweep licks.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by bass guy 129
Here are some good tutorials on multi fingered tapping

Reported.

You must know by now that Rick-rolling is against the rules right?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by bass guy 129
no i didnt. i havent been on ug for like four months until like two weeks ago. sorry. reportme if you must, but i seriously didnt know.

As far as I'm aware it's been outlawed for much longer than that, like the lolwut pear.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by TheShred201
Good 8 fingered tappers:
Joe Satriani
Dave Martone
Buckethead
Chris Broderick
Stanley Jordan
Zack Kim

I have some basic advice as to the right hand in these two threads:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=913249
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=910274

And there are some songs and such to practice it with in here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=879853

My best advice for what to practice is to practice all of the exercises and such you'd do with your left hand and do them only with your right. Once you are comfortable playing basic stuff with your right hand, look into various songs utilizing 8 finger tapping and begin working on one.

I gave several players as you haven't stated whether you are looking for tapping using 8 fingers or true touchstyle guitar where you play independent lead and bass lines with your two hands. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Wow, thanks. I forgot that this thread existed. I think what I'm going for is just eight fingered tapping, and maybe a little bit of touchstyle, but not true touchstyle.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty