I'm learning how to sweep for now.
However it involves rolling which I'm having a problem at solving. For example, take a look at this tab,

e|-------------------12-15p12--------------------|
B|----------------13----------13-----------------|
G|-------------12----------------12--------------|
D|----------14----------------------14-----------|
A|-------15----------------------------15--------|
E|-12h15----------------------------------15-12--|

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, I've placed all my 4 fingers to take those 4 frets, Index = 12, Middle = 13, Ring = 14, Pinky = 15...

I find it hard to roll after a hammer on to the A string when I'm sweeping down. I do also have a problem when I'm coming back to the Low E from high e, especially from string A to E.

So, I have 2 questions:

1) Do I have to roll my pinky after the hammer on? Or can I use my ring to hammer on and roll instead?
2) When sweeping, I lift all fingers from the fretboard. When I'm rolling from A to Low E with my pinky, it seems impossible as my pinky could not cover the distance to the Low E. Any alternative?
3) And how do I even roll 3 strings (thinnest to thickest/thickest to thinnest strings)?
1) Whatever feels more comfy for you.

2) I always find going back to the low strings harder than going down to the first string. If your left-hand posture is correct (your wrist should be straight and almost directly below the neck) you should be able to reach. Just try fretting it normally instead of rolling.

3) Rolling thinnest to thickest just takes practice. The thinnest string should be near the the first joint of your finger, then roll up so the middle string is under the pad of your finger, then fret so that the tip of your finger takes care of the thickest string.

Go very slow before speeding up!
You have to move your hands along the strings. You cant keep them in the same position the whole time. and if ur having trouble with 6 string try less strings.
Quote by corrda00
You have to move your hands along the strings. You cant keep them in the same position the whole time. and if ur having trouble with 6 string try less strings.

yea, start with an easier sweep pattern with 3 or 4 strings, get that really perfect, then try 5 and 6 strings. it'll come more naturally.
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Yea, I'm on these rolls. That's what's making me confused bout finger/fret usage.
But for some reason, when rolling, I found it quite difficult especially for Ring and Pinky.
Gotta do more finger gym rolling for pinky and ring.
Working out this problem, thanks guys.

Btw: Pick thickness matters? Cos I'm using 1.0mm JD Stubby.

Quote by rage6945
yea, start with an easier sweep pattern with 3 or 4 strings, get that really perfect, then try 5 and 6 strings. it'll come more naturally.
Last edited by permutare at Jul 24, 2008,