I understand chord progressions, and how sus/add chords are made up. Let's not get stuck arguing about that.

I was looking at the middle part of Master Of Puppets, where the chord progression is I-VII-VI-IV-V in E minor.

However, the C(VI) has an added ninth, and the A's(IV) second is suspended. I know James plays them just because they sound good (he had no knowledge of theory at the time), but are there any theoretical reasons why these chords work?
Call me Batman.
Hm, I'm not entirely sure about it, but I read about sus chords somewhere. In classical music, they were often used to relieve tension, because certain notes pulled better than just the normal chords of the progression.

E.g. G - D sounds a little flat, so Gsus2 would be added, meaning the A in Gsus2 would pull to the A in D (DF#A). I think.
Sus chords do not have a 3rd expressed. This is why they are ambiguous to both major and minor keys.

I'll assume you realise that the 3rd in a chord defines that chord to be major or minor.
I'll assume you realise that the 3rd in a chord defines that chord to be major or minor.

Yeah, but I never realised sus2's didn't have one.
Call me Batman.
The reason why you get sus 2 and sus 4 chords is because the 3rd of the chord has been replaced with either a major 2 or perfect 4th respectively.
Yeah, I can see that now. I'm trying to figure out the move from Cadd9 to Asus2 now.

Cadd9 is CEGD, to Asus2 which is ABE.
Call me Batman.
Last edited by J.A.M at Jul 24, 2008,
You can also get 7sus4 chords if you'd like to take the theory behind these further?
Hmm, this is beginning to make sense now.

The Cadd9's 9th is a D, Dmaj is the chord before it, making the change smoother. But I still can't see why the sus2 is used.
Call me Batman.
don't want to hi-jack the thread, but can you have minor add 9/11/13 etc chords?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Yeah, why not?

A minor would be ACEB for Am add9.
Call me Batman.
Quote by J.A.M
Hmm, this is beginning to make sense now.

The Cadd9's 9th is a D, Dmaj is the chord before it, making the change smoother. But I still can't see why the sus2 is used.

Why? For variety. Usually though, the Dsus 4 is usually used.
I've played the Cadd9-Asus2 transition, and it sounds better than Cadd9-Am; the third doesn't make the chord have the same sound as the add9.
Call me Batman.
Quote by metallicafan616
don't want to hi-jack the thread, but can you have minor add 9/11/13 etc chords?

Yes. If you're calling them with an 'add' then it's just simply a triad with the 'added' note of choice.

So in this case you're talking minor add chords.

R b3 5 add " "
In a G Major chord, the 3rd would be B right? So if I made that a 2, would that be A? It isn't really possible to do a Gsus2 or any barre chord involving a sus2, is it? I know with a Sus4 it's easy, but Sus2 is a new shape right?
Quote by fob12
In a G Major chord, the 3rd would be B right? So if I made that a 2, would that be A? It isn't really possible to do a Gsus2 or any barre chord involving a sus2, is it? I know with a Sus4 it's easy, but Sus2 is a new shape right?

Well, it's possible with G-shape barre chords, but they aren't the easiest chords to finger.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.