k so im probly gunna be buying a used Epi 1958 Explorer (Ebony w/ white pickguard) from another UGer actually. its two years old, the gold hardware is slightly turning chrome, its in otherwise good condition except for a scrape on the horn closest your elbow while playing. he wants $320 USD shipping included. he is including a case too. but there is one problem. i guess the guitar is having microphonics problems, so supposedly the pickups get a squealing feedback and what not when is plugged in not playing i guess. could also be the mounting rings and screws. idk.

basically what im asking is would it be worth it to buy it and swap the pups/rewax them. cause epi's already have pretty "meh" pups to begin with to for around $500 USD id basically have a gibson? am i correct? because most say swapping the pups and what not yields gibsonish quality.

$320 for a 2 year old guitar and case? i think thats a deal plus im just not a gibson quality player...when im rich and famous in 10 years...maybe.

are money orders not very safe? aka money in envelope, send to seller?

also, if it did have microphonic problems, would i have to redo all the electronics possibly or just the pickups?

thoughts???

Last edited by AJS19 at Jul 25, 2008,
Well, you could just swap the pickups, it would be cheaper than a Gibson, yet I don't think it would sound EXACTLY the same. Pretty damn close though.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
Well, you could just swap the pickups, it would be cheaper than a Gibson, yet I don't think it would sound EXACTLY the same. Pretty damn close though.

i realize it wont sound EXACTLY the same. but ill be better than what it was and closer to the gibby. which is good enough for me
Last edited by AJS19 at Jul 25, 2008,
Quote by Colgate Total
If you're going to pay $320, I'd at least ask him to pay shipping.

thats what im trying to do...or else ill have the shipping included in the $320. my thinking at least
i got an epi explorer, was pretty damn good until i broke it.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by Gregoric
i got an epi explorer, was pretty damn good until i broke it.

how'd you break it lol? like this????
Quote by AJS19
yeah i wanna see the smashed guitar also

Lol I was talking about the one that the thread starter wants to buy, but hey, the more the merrier.
Looks nice, I don't know much about electronics, but if you swap out the pick ups and there is still a problem, changing the electronics wouldn't cost much more. To be sure, you could bring it to a shop.
Quote by JoshRocco
Looks nice, I don't know much about electronics, but if you swap out the pick ups and there is still a problem, changing the electronics wouldn't cost much more. To be sure, you could bring it to a shop.

yeah electronics are cheap. yeah ill most likely have a shop do the pups if i get that done. well see when i get the explorer.
(even though its damn expensive, i dont wanna **** that **** up)
thats like buying a Porsche taking the motor out, reassembling it and putting it back in with zero experiance/know how
Quote by AJS19
how'd you break it lol? like this????

I leant it against a chair and of course Explorer's don't stay up very well, so it fell down and the neck cracked in half.

I've since fixed it though so can't provide any pics, sorry lol.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by Gregoric
I leant it against a chair and of course Explorer's don't stay up very well, so it fell down and the neck cracked in half.

I've since fixed it though so can't provide any pics, sorry lol.

mmm. ouch. how did you fix it? does it still play well?
Quote by AJS19
mmm. ouch. how did you fix it? does it still play well?

removed the headstock and the top half of the neck, glued the broken bits, shoved it back together, applied some really strong wood glue then clamped it together.

It would play okay but I lost the nut at the top so im using a makeshift one atm lol which doesn't quite fit. I also kinda left it for a year without fixing it so the electronics are abit dodgy as well, the whole things needs touching up abit.

I don't really play it anymore though but when I did it was pretty good.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by Gregoric
removed the headstock and the top half of the neck, glued the broken bits, shoved it back together, applied some really strong wood glue then clamped it together.

It would play okay but I lost the nut at the top so im using a makeshift one atm lol which doesn't quite fit. I also kinda left it for a year without fixing it so the electronics are abit dodgy as well, the whole things needs touching up abit.

I don't really play it anymore though but when I did it was pretty good.

icic.
I'd defo go for one. Although be careful with it....I've bumped mine into soooooo many doors and walls carrying it and playing it lol.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by Gregoric
I'd defo go for one. Although be careful with it....I've bumped mine into soooooo many doors and walls carrying it and playing it lol.

yeah no kidding. itll probly take reign over my LP as my "main" guitar. lol.

anyone no the easiest/safest way to pay for something like this??? please, and thank you in advance