Hello , can you give me your opinion in electric guitar strings, there are soo many brands , i like to know what brand do you recomend to play Metal Music , i have one guitar with passive humb. and one with actives ..and a 30w SS Amp........ do you recomned ... Ernie Ball , DR , GHS ?????????
They're just strings man, try out a few and see what works for you.

If you must insist on getting advice from strangers, I'd say that a lot of metal guys seem to use heavy bottoms, light tops, so go for that. Ernie Ball does those in packs.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
.13s

metal requires one to be a man. TOUGHEN UP!

ok in all seriousness, I prefer D'addario light tops heavy bottoms for metal, but that is just me
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 (Feels good, man)
- 1960 Marshall AV Cab (Vintage 30s, Feels good, man)
- A shitty MIM strat
- Fulltone OCD (Jizztastic)
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Last edited by Hirschberger at Jul 24, 2008,
Ernie Ball light top heavy bottom
Quote by Turkeyburger
It's not cool to make fun of people with disabilities.....

(Being Norwegian is a disability)

Quote by BK202

Metal strings are pretty much 100% metal, actually.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
i cant believe people actually use d'addarios. they come DEAD in the pack. and theyre the cheapest strings you can buy. have you noticed no real bands use d'addario?[except dragonforce]

i use elixer 10 guage.

go with DRs
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

Quote by kool98769
Metal strings are pretty much 100% metal, actually.

Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Elixer 11 Gauge!!! its what i use, ya its 11s, but your fingers will adjust! or heck anything 11 gauge...11s give you a nice rounded tone, its just the getting use to em part that you have to get over.
AMPS:
Bugera 333XL
Orange AD30
VoxAC30cc2
ELECTRIC GUITARS:
Les Paul Standard 60s Neck
Jackson DKM2
Godin Solidac
ACOUSTICS:
Taylor 714CE
#1 Influence:
RUSH!!!
Quote by koalabacon
i cant believe people actually use d'addarios. they come DEAD in the pack. and theyre the cheapest strings you can buy. have you noticed no real bands use d'addario?[except dragonforce]

i use elixer 10 guage.

go with DRs

+1 on the DRs. I use DR 11s for my band and we play in Drop B. Though I may have to change to 12s with a wound g-string.
Thanks a lot guys , i now have a pack of GHS ,Ernie Balls and D'Addario 9-42 , they sound good, some friend told me that 9 - 46 y BEST for METAL ( easy bends and good lows ), what do you thinks .....feel free to comment , also , do you recomend coated strings ?
Normally i play standard tunning and drop D , all i want is that the strings last at least a month without rusting , good tone for metal and good feel.
I play with Di'Addario Jazz Medium Gauge, which is 13-56, and they take any tuning down to C fine, and below that they get a little loose, but I've got it down to Ab and it was still playable, hell I tuned to them to low G standard once and played them for the lulz, and they still felt okay.
Quote by koalabacon

What are you talking about?
Quote by koalabacon

i use elixer 10 guage.

go with DRs

Orly now?

Behemoth
White Chapel
Mastadon
After the burial
Lamb of god
Arch Enemy
Between The Buried and me
Opeth

These are some pretty credible acts in Metal and -Core genres if I do say myself.
Strings are mostly about feel, and Durability.
And I would say that myself as a user I am satisfied entirely with my purchases.
Check out DR - .09-.50 gauge.
Never tought I'd find a gauge as perfect as that (Drop C/D standard)
Great for standard too.

...they also come in pink
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
ok trust me. i went through many many strings to find this pack ernie ball 0.8's for standard and drop D. after that increase the string gauge by one for every half a step down you tune your guitar. Please just trust me.
Quote by Hirschberger
.13s

metal requires one to be a man. TOUGHEN UP!

Pfft, a true metalhead strings his guitar with rusty barbed wire.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
.10-.46 is better for dropped D. Going up by 1 for every half step is adviceable. Brand is subjective.
Last edited by sg4ever at May 26, 2009,
Quote by Grunt344
ok trust me. i went through many many strings to find this pack ernie ball 0.8's for standard and drop D. after that increase the string gauge by one for every half a step down you tune your guitar. Please just trust me.

8's for Standard?
I use 10's for standard myself.
And I use Dimarzio Jazz Lights for D standard.
Which Is 12-52, with a wound G string.

Its all about feel.
I say you should try and start at 9's for Standard and If you ever want to Downtune, Try 10's and 10.5's
I normally play with ROTOSound Yellows (10-46), E tuning.

My Drop D guitar uses DR strings (10-52).

Once my stack of Rotos are gone, I'm going with DR all the way for my standard tuning guitar. I play 2-4 hours every day, and my band's rehearsal space gets really humid and the strings won't last even 2 weeks. The other day one came unwound from normal playing.

Take note of your fret size when choosing string size. I have a guitar with Extra Jumbo frets, and the 10's at the top are great, but my guitar with Jumbo frets is a little tougher to bend with 10's.
Last edited by Jam3V at May 26, 2009,