My band always plays stuff half a step down. And of course, I don't have a problem with that. That is, until we play Hysteria by Muse. The guitarists just throw capos on the first, and I'm stuck. I can't stand retuning, because that song is all we play in standard. Do they make bass capos or something?
Just play everything a fret higher?

It may be tricky at first, but Im sure it would be easier than retuning all the time
a regular capo should work for your bass, I do it all the time. just throw that on the first fret, and you're back in standard.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
The one fret up guys, that would be basically impossible with that song, as it relies on the open A and E strings for the riff, with the notes being played halfway up the neck. Can't really be done.
get ur guitarist to do it in Eb, would be easier for the singer as well
Its not possible to play that song without open strings, either bring two basses or play it in half-step down.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
or use a capo
guitar capos work for bass too
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Yeah, never heard of a "bass capo". A capo is a capo, but since it wont work for hysteria, you should bring two basses if you have 'em
You stole my Overture
The nut width on a Strat is the same nut width of a Precision. The nut width of a Jazz is thinner than a Precision. Therefore, many basses have thinner necks than guitars. Therefore, capos work fine.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
You CAN play it in Eb while the guitarist is in standard. Play it all in one position at the first fret. Just make sure you're comfortable with string skipping. Will take some time to get it sounding smooth though.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
You CAN play it in Eb while the guitarist is in standard. Play it all in one position at the first fret. Just make sure you're comfortable with string skipping. Will take some time to get it sounding smooth though.

Problem with that is that you basically have to relearn the song. If the guitarists stop being all gimpish and not use a capo, then it's all gravy. No period of having sloppy bass for a while.
Personally I wouldn't stand for it. The point of a band is the converging on multiple talents into a overall sound. If the rest of the band is so set on playing the song in its 'actual' tuning, then they just need need to eat some snickers. Knuckle down, play the song in Eb, it'll be easier on everyone.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by NotSoAirJordan
My band always plays stuff half a step down.
there's your problem. fix that and everything else falls into place.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Play the song in half-step?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by wyldething
Just play everything a fret higher?

It may be tricky at first, but Im sure it would be easier than retuning all the time

that really wouldnt work for hysteria
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...