Hi!

Today I watched some kristofer dahl's lesson videous about sweep picking without usin your right hand at all. He showed a tecnique, where he took his right hand lower on the fretboard and just hammer oned the sweep lick, and then he did the same thing without the right hand, but he muted them. I'm trying do this, I can sweep with a pick and using my hand right hand lower on the fret board. But muting during hammer on sweeps seems like a little problem, is there anywhere a video where someone could help me to the right tracks of the tutorial

here's the video, it wasn't exactly about sweeping but the thing was mentioned there in the middle.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.tv/guitar_lessons/shred_masterclass_tapping_n_arpeggios.html

Any help is really appreciated!
鋼の錬金術師
Well, sweep picking without a pick is called "One Note Per String" legato, or ONPS legato. It's very difficult to do cleanly, you have to have excellent left hand muting (duh! ) and hand strength, along with top notch control of your left hand.

It's very easy to do badly, and it's extremely hard to do well. There's not much more to it than excellent left hand technique, which is comprised of so many things...

If you want to hear two people who do this kind of thing with great regularity, Allan Holdsworth (the subject of Kris' example, astonishingly good player) and Shawn Lane both do it brilliantly. Unfortunately, only Shawn goes over it in his instructional (see Power Licks) and he doesn't go over it in detail. Worth a look, just to hear your chin hit the floor.
Quote by Freepower
Well, sweep picking without a pick is called "One Note Per String" legato, or ONPS legato. It's very difficult to do cleanly, you have to have excellent left hand muting (duh! ) and hand strength, along with top notch control of your left hand.

It's very easy to do badly, and it's extremely hard to do well. There's not much more to it than excellent left hand technique, which is comprised of so many things...

If you want to hear two people who do this kind of thing with great regularity, Allan Holdsworth (the subject of Kris' example, astonishingly good player) and Shawn Lane both do it brilliantly. Unfortunately, only Shawn goes over it in his instructional (see Power Licks) and he doesn't go over it in detail. Worth a look, just to hear your chin hit the floor.

Or you can go satch style and mute with your right hand behind the left...or use string dampeners like Michael Angelo Batio...
It isn't too hard, once you master sweeps it becomes simple. However, doing sweeps with rolls in it like a basic 6 string minor is hard to do without a pick. I can do it but not as well as 3-4-5 string sweeps.

My whole entire guitar style is based around arpeggios and sweeps. This technique is cool, but i only use it to make sure my fingers are precisely on the fret. That is it lol.