Okay, I know this is probably in the wrong forum (sorry guys... it's almost 2am over here in Australia) but I'm writing a performance report for my douchebag music teacher, due tomorrow (just found out about it 10 minutes ago... he told us in class apparently and I was away... short notice much?). The song I am performing is Dani California by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and I need to know what scale/mode the solo is in. I'm thinking it's in the key of A, but if there's any special name for the scale/mode used... yeah. Help?
man i dont have a guitar infront of me, its been a while since i've played that song..

doesnt he play over the chorus riff, which is in G minor penatonic? I might be wrong, i havent really listened to that album since the week it came out
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
doesnt he play over the chorus riff, which is in G minor penatonic? I might be wrong, i havent really listened to that album since the week it came out
The intro and verses are in Am. The chorus and solos are in Dm, heavily using the Dm pentatonic/blues scale.
i think its the rip off hendrix scale, no but seriously i do love chilli peppers
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by xander307
i think its the rip off hendrix scale, no but seriously i do love chilli peppers

Hendrix was know for the use of pentaonic's.
Damn, do I love summer vacation.

Quote by xander307

What is the "Hendrix Scale"? Sounds... non-existent and unconventional.
There is no "Hendrix scale." Hendrix used a lot of minor pentatonic and blues. However, he also liked 7#9 chords and was the first to use them in rock music, hence the 7#9 chord often being called the "Hendrix chord."
there is a 'rip off hendrix' scale though, sounds a bit like the purple haze intro.. not to start a big thing against Frusciante, he is brilliant
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by bangoodcharlote
There is no "Hendrix scale." Hendrix used a lot of minor pentatonic and blues. However, he also liked 7#9 chords and was the first to use them in rock music, hence the 7#9 chord often being called the "Hendrix chord."

He was trying to say "rip off hendrix" scale, not rip off "hendrix scale." It was a badly worded joke.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
The key is Cmaj/Aminor throughout- including the solo.

The solo varies a little but is based around D Dorian
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Quote by HeavyReverb
The key is Cmaj/Aminor throughout- including the solo.

The solo varies a little but is based around D Dorian

you're incorrect my friend, theres no D dorian in that song, bangoodcharolette is correct, the chorus is in Dminor

"Gmaj, Dmin, Emaj, Fmaj?"
is the chorus riff i believe, how the **** does that fit D dorian, lol...
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
you're incorrect my friend, theres no D dorian in that song, bangoodcharolette is correct, the chorus is in Dminor

"Gmaj, Dmin, Emaj, Fmaj?"
is the chorus riff i believe, how the **** does that fit D dorian, lol...

its you who is incorrect. the chorus riff is F5, C5, D5, G5 which fit nicely into D dorian/A minor
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.