Poll: Should the Electric Guitar forum have an "Ultimate Pinch-Harmonic" thread?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should the Electric Guitar forum have an "Ultimate Pinch-Harmonic" thread?
Yes.
26 59%
No.
18 41%
Voters: 44.
No, this is not a thread asking how to do them, or asking for help on how to do them.
This is a poll. The question is:

Should we have an Ultimate Pinch-Harmonic thread?
I see maybe 10 threads a day about pinch harmonics, so I think it would be necessary.

Discuss, and vote.
The decision will be made when thei thread leaves the first page.
Last edited by Fryer Mike at Jul 24, 2008,
I voted yes.
FEED ME MATHCORE

Quote by sashki

I also speak German, except no-one gives a shit.

GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE, AWAKE WHEN THE SUN HITS THE SKY
i think that there are numerous lessons out there.....on this site... and youtube and such that they arent looking very hard if they really want to learn. because the basic idea is very easy to relay...it just takes a lot of practice to get down
The problem is, not matter how many only threads there are, people are always completely ignorant of them and end up making their own any way.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I don't know if it'd make any difference to the amount of threads being made. People don't use the search bar anyway!
No, the GG&A forum is more about amps and effects and accessories. Stuff about electric guitars generally shows up in this forum. That's why the GG&A forum description says "Discuss guitar amps & effects. Also strings, picks, cables, capos and other guitar toys."

I feel that technique stuff belongs more in the Guitar Basics and Advanced Techniques forum depending on the amount of skill that they require. I'm not saying that this is how it is or isn't, I'm just saying my opinion.
Yes, but put it in a different forum. Pinch harmonics are something most guitar players discover by accident and don't really have an understanding of what it is or why it happens. A thread like that should exist but doesn't; there are lessons on HOW to do it but they aren't effective because nobody knows WHY it happens.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Quote by TheShred201
No, the GG&A forum is more about amps and effects and accessories. Stuff about electric guitars generally shows up in this forum. That's why the GG&A forum description says "Discuss guitar amps & effects. Also strings, picks, cables, capos and other guitar toys."

I feel that technique stuff belongs more in the Guitar Basics and Advanced Techniques forum depending on the amount of skill that they require. I'm not saying that this is how it is or isn't, I'm just saying my opinion.

That's how I always felt too.

It doesn't really matter if there is an Ultimate thread for it. People should just be able to look at lessons/youtube/Advanced Techniques forum/search/ect ect ect.

I don't understand why there are so many threads about it when there are SO many resources RIGHT on this site. Adding another resource isn't going to fix the problem.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by Me2NiK
Yes, but put it in a different forum. Pinch harmonics are something most guitar players discover by accident and don't really have an understanding of what it is or why it happens. A thread like that should exist but doesn't; there are lessons on HOW to do it but they aren't effective because nobody knows WHY it happens.

Not that hard to explain why it happens. Your thumb strikes the string at a set distance from the fretted note. This causes the string to stop vibrating at this point. This point is called a node point. When one is created, it divides the strings waves into fractions, with node points separating them. It works the same way as natural harmonic. 12th fret harmonic causes the string to stop vibrating at the 12th fret, dividing it in half and raising the pitch one octave. The smaller the fraction the string is broken into, the higher the pitch. I have more information on it if you really want me to explain it well. Sorry if that was hard to understand, it's much easier to explain in person. My point though is that people do know how/why it happens.
You know why it happens, other do. Most don't.

People don't look around the site for lessons on pinch harmonics, obviously. They look here for help by making a new thread.
I read about physics in my spare time; I understand how it happens and it's apparent you do too. But the issue is not how easy it is to explain, the issue is that there's a noted lack of places that do explain it. The lessons that teach it very rarely if ever give the physical explanation behind it and merely demonstrate how to do it.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Yes because I can't play them on guitar, only on bass.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)