Poll: Cranked tube amp with sovteks, or a cranked SS amp?
Poll Options
View poll results: Cranked tube amp with sovteks, or a cranked SS amp?
Cranked Sovtek tube amp
25 69%
Cranked SS amp
11 31%
Voters: 36.
Which one of those 2 do you think would sound BEST when cranked?
Last edited by esp1234 at Jul 24, 2008,
SS due to signal clipping
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
sovteks are bad? hmm... my laney has sovteks (they are the stock valves).. maybe i should change them

but having tried both - cranked SS amp is worse.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
SS because it turns out inevitably on harmonic distortion when cranked over half of the volume, try it on 10 and it's a torture to hear, tubes can, at worst, overload or get the speaker to sound super stiff but still not as growse as solid state circuitry.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
I meant to vote that SS would sound worse.., sbut accidentally picked Sovteks..

Sovteks are just a little harsh and quite microphonic, but they are still decent tubes..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Reildeal
I meant to vote that SS would sound worse.., sbut accidentally picked Sovteks..

Sovteks are just a little harsh and quite microphonic, but they are still decent tubes..

i see what you mean... yup, i'd better replace them. i have sovtek EL84s in my VC30, and when i crank it it has some nasty harsh treble unless i have the treble below 3.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Neither...

When I crank my solid state amps they stay clean and clear; they just get loud. My solid state amps sound great!

When I crank my tweed style guitar amp that has sovtek preamp tubes that sounds really good too.
Not taking any online orders.
Definitely a cranked SS will sound worse to me. My SLO has Sovteks stock from the factory, & it seems to sound fine.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
I think that there might be some confusion in your poll. The poll results don't match the posts, and I think the majority of people would definitely vote the sovteks as BETTER than the SS cranked. I think a lot of people are voting sovtek thinking that you're asking which is better, initially..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
^
Yeah thanks for pointing that out. So yeah I'm guessing people are picking the cranked sovtek amp thinking that it would sound better

EDIT: just changed what I posted first to "better"
there are 11 retards here who think a solid state amp will sound better than a tube amp with sovteks......
A Soldano with sovteks, is still a soldano.....

tha being said tubes sound better as volume increases, and Solide stae kills me at high volumes
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
Quote by TubeAmpGuy
there are 11 retards here who think a solid state amp will sound better than a tube amp with sovteks......

Depends on which amp surely.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
now you've unbalanced the poll completely, because i voted for SS when it was "which one is worse". now you've just reversed the outcome of my vote

Quote by Gäbe
SS because it turns out inevitably on harmonic distortion when cranked over half of the volume, try it on 10 and it's a torture to hear, tubes can, at worst, overload or get the speaker to sound super stiff but still not as growse as solid state circuitry.

then you haven't heard my blues deluxe cranked with bad tubes.

oohhhhh my...