Page 1 of 2
So guys and girls i've managed to get in touch with Mr Dave Weiner and he has agreed to partake in an interview exclusively for UG!

A little info on Dave..

Dave's solo performance.

Dave Weiner is Steve Vai's touring guitarist and has been for many years. Dave is a phenomenal player and mostly plays 7 string guitars but also has great advice concerning most instruments, composing, recording and everything you can imagine.

Dave's "riff of the week" guitar lessons.

He also has a "riff of the week" section youtube with which he gives lessons for free. Extremely valuable lessons from how to use modes and scales, to how to cimpify complex riffs and incorporate them into your material!

Dave is signed with Ibanez and Dimarzio and has many of his own signature models which are highly regarded within the Ibanez and 7 string world as being some of the best. He is one of my own personal guitar gods and if you haven't heard of him..check him out now!

What do i want?

YOUR INPUT!

Thats right, ill be asking Dave your questions ranging from anything like how he got signed with Ibanez, to even how he finds working with Vai.

Post your question for Dave, and please make the actual question in BOLD text so it can be identifiable. This thread will be open for around one, maybe two weeks and i shall then select a number of questions and interview Dave for UG.

So UG'ers..post away!

Daves solo album
"shove the sun aside" is out on Favoured Nations records.

www.daveweiner.com
Stickied for greater good
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Haha, awesome!

1. Playing with someone like Vai, is there anything that you two have learned from each other that you can pass on to the younger guitarists out there?

2. What scales and modes are your favourite, and why?

3. Any tips on getting over cold feet before a show, and just keeping cool while playing?

That's all I could think of at the moment without getting too cliche.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I've got one. Oh and well done getting an interview with him btw, he seems like a nice guy

Dave, do you have any good tips on devloping creativity and songwriting skills (on guitar or otherwise)? All everyone talks about is developing technique and whatnot, but never a sense of melody. I find you to be a very creative and melodic player, not of the "hey look how fast I can play this scale up and down"-school, so I thought you'd be the right person to ask. Keep doing what you do man, it's very inspirational!

Cheers // John N-T, Sweden
1. How did you get involved in music? Was there a particular moment when it struck you as being what it is now?

2. What's it like touring with such a super-famous guitarist?

3. Can I have a free guitar?
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Pizza delivery for I.C. Weiner? Oh crap...

Anyway, I always though this guy deserved quite a bit more recognition. As for questions:

What led you to playing extended range guitars?

Have you ever considered anything more than a 7 string?
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Just go to the forum on his website, hes a pretty cool guy and trys to answer all the questions.
Can you play TTFaF?

Completely kidding, of course.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
Hey Dave, I have the Live in Astoria DVD from 2001 and I thought your performance was great. How did you hook up with such an impressive line up? (Steve Vai, Billy Sheehan, and Eric Sardinas) and what were your first thoughts when you made it into the band?

Eric - Tampa Fl.
What made you first want to get into guitar?

what were the biggest influences that helped shape up your playing style today?

Gabe Bronx, New York

a little cliche but meh
I often find myself not practicing enough certain days, and even not picking up my guitar at all sometimes. What kept you motivated to practice every day when you were still learning?
no question, but nice job getting DW in here... You're Awesome Dave!
Takes a Knockin' and Keeps on Rockin" DOA #08-01502
Nice job on getting a chance to interview him TS!

Q's...

1) How did you get into Ibanez guitars? Were you always a fan of their guitars or did you use other brand guitars before hand?

2) How did you get endorsed by them? How hands on are you during the production of your signature models?
Quote by jmag
Pizza delivery for I.C. Weiner? Oh crap...

Anyway, I always though this guy deserved quite a bit more recognition. As for questions:

What led you to playing extended range guitars?

Have you ever considered anything more than a 7 string?

Just incase you're too impatient for the answer to those questions (which would of been mine as well):

Quote by Sevenstring.org

BC: For the last decade, 7-string based guitars have been your mainstay! After you picked up your seven in '93?, you've never looked back... What led to your first 7 love?

DW: I honestly had a picture of Vai hanging on my fridge back then. This was right after P&W was released. One day, I noticed on the nut of the guitar he was holding were 4 locking bolts holding down his locking system. I had only seen 3 before that and was like "What the ****?" then I counted the strings and found 7. I was enthralled and had to try one. I found one in a local music shop and found out how to adapt a few chords and scales to the 7 string and was hooked ever since.

BC: Have you ever thought to play on 8 or even 9 string guitars?

DW: I'd love to try one, but I haven't yet. I'm good with the 7 strings for now .

How'd you hook him up Nick? I'm jelous I don't get to talk to my gutiar heroes...
thats private business :P
haha
i met him at a vai gig about a year ago, and we sat chatting about his 7's and ibanez in general, then kept in touch
i emailed him that night, and got one back saying he was on the tourbus on his laptop and we chatted haha
he is a really cool guy =]
my question is, how did you come to be Steve Vai's guitarist? did you answer an ad? or audition?
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
1. Has Ibanez considered making a Dave Weiner signature guitar yet? (if yes) Will they ever be mass produced? Which guitar would it be?
2. What is your favorite pickup for a basswood Ibanez RG 7 string? The clarity you get from your low B is amazing...
3. In your opinion, where should one draw the line between melody and technique?
4. If you had the chance to work/jam with any guitarist for a day, who would it be?
Hamilton - Orlando, FL.

EDIT:
Quote by bjovi400
my question is, how did you come to be Steve Vai's guitarist? did you answer an ad? or audition?

http://www.daveweiner.com/daves411.html#howdidyougetintovaisband
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Jul 24, 2008,
1. what body wood do you prefer? Neck wood? Fingerboard?
2. What strings do you prefer?
3. If you could record with any artist (other than Mr. Vai) who would it be?
Dave-Arlington, MA.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jul 24, 2008,
Quote by oneblackened
1. what body wood do you prefer? Neck wood? Fingerboard?
2. Who makes packs of strings for seven string guitars?
3. If you could record with any artist (other than Mr. Vai) who would it be?
Dave-Arlington, MA.

You could easily find the answer of number 2 with Google....
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/7-string-sets-electric-guitar-strings?N=100001+343597
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude

shut up...
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I dreamed I was Steve Vai's guitar player the other night

For my questions:
1.-What do you do to encourage yourself to keep learning?

2.-What is like to work with Steve Vai?

3.-Who is your favorite guitarist?
My gear:
-No Brand Classical Guitar
-Squier Stratocaster Affinity Series
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Boss GT-8
-Boss DS-1
-Roland Cube 60

FREE TACOS!!!
I didnt read all the questions, so it might be posted but uhh...

What are your tips on practicing things and working them up to speed? ive heard people s ay "Play it really slow for 21 days then you can usually play it full speed" and others say "Well, play it slow until you get it right then move it up 5bpm till you have it" so what are your oppinions?

Andy Barrie, Arnprior, Ontario.

And holy crap Resiliance is a S-MOD!

Resiledit: yay, someone noticed
Last edited by Tubyboulin at Jul 25, 2008,

1. Any tips for rhythm guitar?
2. How would a typical practice day go? How about when you were a teenager?

Allready PM'd mine to you 1 step ahead as always in the 7 String Legion
Hey Dave. I think it's awesome you play a seven string. I recently decided to buy one so I have something new to play with.

Recently, my friend and I started a metal band, and around where I live, we can't find anyone who plays bass. Can a seven string provide enough bass for a metal song? My friend is using his 6 string Ibanez, while I play my 7. If not, could I tune my 7 so it can get more of a bassier reponse?
1.Do you follow a strict training regimen or just mess around for practice?

2.was it hard to get so big (as in famous)?

3.Is steve nice or mean offstage?
Quote by SamuelBirkett
wtf r u say make no sensical

SAVE THE MUDKIPS
1.do you look to classical scales for some of your leads
2. Whats your take on musical theory and being in a band in general?
1966 rickenbacker fireglo 335
78' twin reverb (loud awesome tone)

practice makes practice... never perfect
Have you ever learned anything from other musicians like John Petrucci or Joe Satriani
while touring with Steve Vai and his band?
Ibanez Prestige RGA321SPB
Do a lot of the guys in the music have big egos, or are they just normal, chilled-out guys like you?

I've always wondered how many of the big guys are dicks

.. That sounds kind of funny...
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Whats your favorite effect and why?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Any advice for a new user of a seven string?

I'm planning on getting one, and hell, why not?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

1. What is your favorite amplifier, and why?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
How do you make solos more interesting? I've found that when I solo (always improvising), I may sound redundant with my licks. How do you get more creative with your licks and passing tones in scales?
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
I'd like to post a very insightful comment.

lol weiner

Uhhh... Who was/is your favorite guitarist to play with?
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Why did the chicken cross the road?
i cant think of anything
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Crybaby Wah