Ok so I'm finally upgrading guitars and I'm looking for something good in the $300-$400 dollar price range. I'm a big fan of the Gibson/Epi kinda tone and I came across these two guitars. I'd normally just check em both out for myself, but I can't find a guitar center or a local guitar shop who has the LP in stock. So, does anyone have any personal experiences with either of these guitars? I do know that the warm cleans on the SG were one of the things that stood out to me when I tried it out, but I'm not sure about the LP since I can't seem to find one Btw, I play music that ranges from mellow stuff like Brand New to hardcore/screamo bands like The Devil Wears Prada, so I like having a nice clean along with some punch in my sound. Also any other suggestions for guitars in that price range would be cool too.
Some people will recommend a Schecter, which are brilliant guitars, but I would personally get the SG. That being said, I did get the SG, and I've never regretted it. It can go from the cleans on Lateralus right down to the Hardcore antics of bands like The Number Twelve Looks Like you etc.

Get the Epiphone SG, and put new pickups in it. For your style of music I'd recommend Burstbucker Pros or a 490R and a 498T. A lot of bands use these pickups, and I know they're good.
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Epi Lp = heavier sound while the SG =lighter sound. the SG is lighter but i found the LP much more comfortable.
I've been playing my G400 for a year now, and it's been great; tonal range, playability etc.

The icing on the cake comes with the fact that when carrying it down the stairs at home, i hit it on the ceiling. Much worrying ensued, before wiping the plaster from my headstock and inspecting the hole in the ceiling.

Of course, tone and sound can be greatly affected by your amp as much as your guitar, and well, without trying I wouldnt rush into anything
Quote by MoonageDaydream
Some people will recommend a Schecter, which are brilliant guitars, but I would personally get the SG. That being said, I did get the SG, and I've never regretted it. It can go from the cleans on Lateralus right down to the Hardcore antics of bands like The Number Twelve Looks Like you etc.

Get the Epiphone SG, and put new pickups in it. For your style of music I'd recommend Burstbucker Pros or a 490R and a 498T. A lot of bands use these pickups, and I know they're good.

Or you could go buy aftermarket pickups that aren't horrendously overpriced...
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by MoonageDaydream

Yeah, my friend has a Schecter, which is really nice, but I'm drawn to the Epi models because it just seems like they have a thicker sound to them than the Schecters. Right now I'm playing an Epi LP special II (which I think is a pretty amazing guitar for $150) through a Spider III 120 (yeah, bash away, but I like it).
Last edited by mmm_watcha_say at Jul 24, 2008,
i have both.
i would buy a Lp standard over a g400.
the G400 is hard to play standing up if your not used to it and the Lp just sounds better.
i play TDWP too and it sounds the best with the Lp and Lp have way better cleans.
I also find a lot fo the Schecters ugly, they're just not as traditional as I like a guitar to be.

/Personal Preference rant.

I said the Gibson pickups because alot of Hardcore bands use stock pickups as far as I know, and there's no point spending the money on Seymour Duncans when he could have the exact same pickups as the artists he likes, with a little bit more money.

Don't even mention EMG either, tehy're the worst pickups for Blues or anything that isn't TeH Br00TalZ
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I'm still going to recommend getting a Schecter. Far nicer guitars IMO.
I have both. And when A/B-ing them ...... it's very clear that the LP has the phatter tone.

However.......... it's very easy to get warm, phat tone from the G-400 as well.

Both are great guitars!!!

The G400 is a little cheaper I think... it's like $350, and the LP is $450.

If I had to choose.......... I'd go with the Les Paul.

But you can't go wrong with either one!!

And I wouldn't worry about changing pickups just yet........ give the stock ones a try before you do that. I really like the Spider III amps...... but if you're ever wanting to upgrade, get a better amp before you get better pickups.
I found that the SG's body was too skinny, and it just felt awkward holding it. However, the Les Paul sure fit me good.

Those two guitars are very different. All I gotta say is you just gotta do more searching and find a Les Paul to hold. These two guitars all come down to preference.

To me, the Les Paul's sound is more "full" while the SG's sound gets "straight to the point", which means it would sound a little better for punk, hard rock, and metal. The SG is a lighter tone, and would sound better for classical rock, but also is well rounded for other genres as well.

I played the acoustic for a long while, and I preferred playing the lighter side of rock. So that meant the SG was a horrible choice for me, but the Les Paul was perfect.

Don't know what else to say man...
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
I have an Epi LP Standard while my cousin has an Epi G-400. He and I both like the Les Paul for the thicker warmer sound. I also like the feel of the LP. Yes its heavy but I feel like I'm playing something powerful. The SG is lighter but is extremely neck heavy and I don't like wear the neck strap button is. Also the SG's sound isn't as thick as the LP's. The only thing I like about the SG is that it has better fret access for people with small hands like me. With that being said, go for whichever one suits what you want best.
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
Quote by MoonageDaydream
I also find a lot fo the Schecters ugly, they're just not as traditional as I like a guitar to be.

/Personal Preference rant.

I said the Gibson pickups because alot of Hardcore bands use stock pickups as far as I know, and there's no point spending the money on Seymour Duncans when he could have the exact same pickups as the artists he likes, with a little bit more money.

Don't even mention EMG either, tehy're the worst pickups for Blues or anything that isn't TeH Br00TalZ

And by "a bit more" I assume you do mean at least 1.5 times the price of a comparable PAF-style overwound pickup by DiMarzio or similar? I don't think that justifies the price difference.

As for the EMG comment that's the biggest load of bullsh*t I've ever heard in my life. All of the classic Steinbergers came with EMGs, and artists like Mike Rutherford from Genesis, Leslie West from Mountain, and most importantly Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult played or play them. I assume they all play teh Br00talz?

David Gilmour also has EMG SAs in his signature EMG pre-wired pickguard and he plays them on his Strat. I don't think you quite understand how EMGs work - they provide a more uniform response across frequencies and CAN have higher gain. They still work perfectly fine for cleans depending upon which model you get, and in fact many jazz players use EMGs because they don't get muddy as easily compared to their passive counterparts - something very important for a genre such as jazz, where bizarre atonal chord voicings and intervals are a hallmark of the genre.

Keep in mind that many subjective terms such as "warm" or "dirty" are no more than boosted or cut frequency ranges in combination with specific characteristics of clipping and signal distortion - this is why you can most DEFINITELY get a bluesy tone with EMGs, you simply might have to re-evaluate your signal processing strategy in terms of EQ, gain, and effects.

Try reading around or better yet trying guitars with EMGs before you speak.

**EDIT: I was also referencing just EMG active pickups, not their passive ones.

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Be aware the LP's are quite heavy, since they aren't chambered ( I don't think). They also don't have the maple top-it's a thin veneer. They still play nice though. With that thick of a body, the LP's with the Epi stock p/u's are really muddy. Get some brighter/clearer pickups for it, and you're set.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The Epi les pauls aren't near a Gibson imo, while the g400 has a much better quality to price ratio. And yeah, burstbuckers are expensive, but i just put one in my g400 and other than the price i have no complaints whatsoever it can do almost anything.
the sg
purely cos i prefer sgs
and there really not bad for the price
i have the epiphone tony iommi twin gibson pickups and only £30 more than a standard lp
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
SG, thinner neck , lighter and plays better then the LP imo (they have different tones, Ive tried my, friends at a jam) but the LP isn't bad at all
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Crybaby Wah
I might also add that the SG and Les Paul sound slightly different on the neck humbucker, due not only to the construction of the body and chambering (or lack thereof), but also due to the fact that the neck pickup on an SG is more forward than on other 22-fret guitars due to the plate/pickguard (model depending) between the neck pickup and the neck. If you look at an SG, the neck pickup is in the position that it would fall on a 24-fret like an Ibanez RG. On a Les Paul this space does not exist.

Probably won't affect your purchase since the difference is minimal, but just thought I'd share.

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
to me the fact that thoe sg's are wayyyy neck heavy totally shuts them off for me...i would suggest the les paul..but change the pickups
Quote by GmacD
Chicken and waffles motha F*cka

Quote by Joey Radical
Just be a man and **** your mom.