yes, but you have to know if its a major or minor third, and what kind of 7th it is too, it would be easier to find a key that they fit in and play in key.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
The less notes are in the chord, the more freedom you have. Power chords have the root, and a major 5. The rest, is really up to you on how you want to make the song sound.
Quote by fob12
The less notes are in the chord, the more freedom you have. Power chords have the root, and a major 5. The rest, is really up to you on how you want to make the song sound.

Note: There's no such thing as a 'major 5'. A fifth is the same for both major and minor chords, and is called a perfect fifth.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
fob 12
if you're soloing over a powerchord it doesnt matter about the 3rd interval because a power chord does not contain a 3rd so is neither major or minor
If there is a bass in the mix that will usualy determine the direction of the music key wise.
Quote by duncang
Note: There's no such thing as a 'major 5'. A fifth is the same for both major and minor chords, and is called a perfect fifth.

Yeah I was thinking about then when I posted... I wasn't sure though. Thanks.
Quote by professorlamp
fob 12
if you're soloing over a powerchord it doesnt matter about the 3rd interval because a power chord does not contain a 3rd so is neither major or minor

Yes, but what he means by that (I think) is, if I'm playing in the key of C Maj I can't play the 3rd interval for E Major, cause that would be G#, and G# is not in the key of C Maj, it would have to be a flattened 3rd
Look at what the power chords imply. If your chords are E5, F#5, G#5, A5, B5, and C#5(though not necessarily in that order), 99% of the time, that points to E major(or C# minor). Just because power chords don't have thirds doesn't mean they don't imply harmony. If you were to have an E5 B5 C#5 A5 progression and play E Lydian, B Phrygian dominant, C# Half-Whole Diminished and A Dorian, it would sound pretty dissonant because of how strongly those chords still imply E major. Power chords aren't as "liberating" as some people seem to think.